• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Would You Argue In This Youtube Debate?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I've watched the video. I don't see a debate. I see a monologue.

I didn't check the date of the video, but he mentions Ratzinger is still Pope. He hasn't been Pope for more than 10 years. (He mentions 2009, so I'm guessing that's the year.) The position of the Church on many of his points has shifted in those 14 years.

While he had some valid points for that time, again, it's a monologue, not a debate. There is no rebuttal. I won't offer one, as I have no interest in condemning nor defending the Catholic Church, nor for arguing whether or not they are a presence of good in the world.

PureX

Veteran Member
I both agree and disagree with his basic assertion. Mostly agree, though. And not just about the Catholic Church, but also about most of the near-alternatives.

But I would not suggest that any of these be eliminated (even if it were possible) unless some better more positively effective version of them could be put in their place.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've watched the video. I don't see a debate. I see a monologue.

I didn't check the date of the video, but he mentions Ratzinger is still Pope. He hasn't been Pope for more than 10 years. (He mentions 2009, so I'm guessing that's the year.) The position of the Church on many of his points has shifted in those 14 years.

While he had some valid points for that time, again, it's a monologue, not a debate. There is no rebuttal. I won't offer one, as I have no interest in condemning nor defending the Catholic Church, nor for arguing whether or not they are a presence of good in the world.
For reference, here is the full debate:

The Hitch and Fry were on fire that day, even much better debaters than the Bishop and the MP would have had a hard day.