• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Journey

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I think at some point a little bit of common sense, soul searching and wisdom of our own reality must come in to play and be applied to one’s spiritual beliefs. I think if we’re doing things 100% by the book, we’re doing it wrong. Don’t get me wrong. I think religious books are very, very important to introduce people to spirituality and the supernatural.

I’ve often see there comes a point in a conversation between two people of different religions where contradictions come up where people don’t see eye to eye. I think at that point it’s good to step back and remember that we’re all human beings just trying to relate and learn from one another even if our beliefs differ.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I think at some point a little bit of common sense, soul searching and wisdom of our own reality must come in to play and be applied to one’s spiritual beliefs. I think if we’re doing things 100% by the book, we’re doing it wrong.

I’ve often see there comes a point in a conversation between two people of different religions where contradictions come up where people don’t see eye to eye. I think at that point it’s good to step back and remember that we’re all human beings just trying to relate and learn from one another even if our beliefs differ.
I think it even happens between people of the same religion, and that's okay, too.

Its such a personal thing...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think if we’re doing things 100% by the book, we’re doing it wrong.

Just as a thought experiment. Please don't get angry. I am not making a semantic argument. I promise. I'm trying to make a point about being flexible: not going by the book.

If your rule is don't go 100% by the book. <--- paradox. The rule cannot be followed.

Not going by the book 100% percent of the time, requires that you break your own rule about being flexible.

a little bit of common sense,

Agreed. In order to: NOT go by the book 100% of the time, one would need to leave open the possibility that they do go 100% by the book sometimes. And that is common sense.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I think it even happens between people of the same religion, and that's okay, too.

Oh that’s very important. Thanks for adding that. Absolutely.

It is personal. At least we have religions to communicate our longings with one another.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Just as a thought experiment. Please don't get angry. I am not making a semantic argument. I promise. I'm trying to make a point about being flexible: not going by the book.

If your rule is don't go 100% by the book. <--- paradox. The rule cannot be followed.

Not going by the book 100% percent of the time, requires that you break your own rule about being flexible.

Agreed. In order to: NOT go by the book 100% of the time, one would need to leave open the possibility that they do go 100% by the book sometimes. And that is common sense.
Unfortunately you totally lost me.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Unfortunately, you lost me as well.

Jay doesn't have anything to contribute. And he's angry because he's lost the debate on religion and politics recently. Technically, he's angry at me. Because, I showed him his demon, with a mirror.

So he showed up in your thread to pick a fight with me.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's pedantic nonsense.

Is this pedantic nonsense?

I think sometimes it's necessary to go 100% by the book, but those times are rare.

Sometimes 100% by the book is the right thing to do in those circumstances.

In order to add the word "sometimes", I needed a good reason. That reason is not pedantic. It is classical logic in the academic disciple of Philosophy.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Some of us fly in this world by only our heart, many use the many varied labels to explain the unexplainable.

I have no idea most of the time what much of the philosophy people use means!

Regards Tony

Hi Tony, I like the new avatar.

Does this make sense? It's the conclusion. Skip the logic that produced it. Does this make sense to you?

I disagree. I think sometimes it's necessary to go 100% by the book, but those times are rare.

Sometimes 100% by the book is the right thing to do in those circumstances.

What do you think about that?

InChrist

Free4ever

It is a personal thing and as you pointed out even those of the same faith may disagree. I think that’s because each person is at a different place or place of understanding spiritually. I believe that the Creator God is okay with that because He created each person to be unique. I think the most important thing is whether or not one desires or seeks truth. If so, then I have no doubt that God is faithfully at work specifically and uniquely in each one’s life and circumstances to bring them to a fuller understanding of what is true about ourselves, life, the world, universe, and God.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
It is a personal thing and as you pointed out even those of the same faith may disagree. I think that’s because each person is at a different place or place of understanding spiritually. I believe that the Creator God is okay with that because He created each person to be unique. I think the most important thing is whether or not one desires or seeks truth. If so, then I have no doubt that God is faithfully at work specifically and uniquely in each one’s life and circumstances to bring them to a fuller understanding of what is true about ourselves, life, the world, universe, and God.
Yes one must seek it. It doesn’t just flop in your lap. Although maybe it has for some and to that I say hallelujah.

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes one must seek it. It doesn’t just flop in your lap. Although maybe it has for some and to that I say hallelujah.
Yes, I agree…

But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Deuteronomy 4:29

So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. Luke 11:9

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Consider -

For the vast majority of human history there was no "by the book" because there were no books. There was no written language at all. Life was lived fluidly, not fossilized. This is the environment in which religion developed in. Oral traditions, experiencing the sensual world around us, relationships in the present. No impersonal books.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Consider -

For the vast majority of human history there was no "by the book" because there were no books. There was no written language at all. Life was lived fluidly, not fossilized. This is the environment in which religion developed in. Oral traditions, experiencing the sensual world around us, relationships in the present. No impersonal books.
Absolutely!

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
Hi Tony, I like the new avatar.

Does this make sense? It's the conclusion. Skip the logic that produced it. Does this make sense to you?

What do you think about that?
I think one that has submitted would give their life to go 100%.

Baha'u'llah has many thought provoking quotes on this exact subject.

The early Martyred Babi and Baha'i (applicable to other faiths) gave 100% to be loyal to the Word God had given, with no compromise.

This quote is one, look at the part about the duration of the Fast in bold.

"O Shaykh, O thou who hast surrendered thy will to God! By self-surrender and perpetual union with God is meant that men should merge their will wholly in the Will of God, and regard their desires as utter nothingness beside His Purpose. Whatsoever the Creator commandeth His creatures to observe, the same must they diligently, and with the utmost joy and eagerness, arise and fulfil. They should in no wise allow their fancy to obscure their judgment, neither should they regard their own imaginings as the voice of the Eternal. In the Prayer of Fasting We have revealed: “Should Thy Will decree that out of Thy mouth these words proceed and be addressed unto them, ‘Observe, for My Beauty’s sake, the fast, O people, and set no limit to its duration,’ I swear by the majesty of Thy glory, that every one of them will faithfully observe it, will abstain from whatsoever will violate Thy law, and will continue to do so until they yield up their souls unto Thee.” In this consisteth the complete surrender of one’s will to the Will of God. Meditate on this, that thou mayest drink in the waters of everlasting life which flow through the words of the Lord of all mankind, and mayest testify that the one true God hath ever been immeasurably exalted above His creatures. He, verily, is the Incomparable, the Ever-Abiding, the Omniscient, the All-Wise. The station of absolute self-surrender transcendeth, and will ever remain exalted above, every other station. BAHA'U'LLAH

Regards Tony