• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans and Our Specialty

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
We often see many on RF, and usually being YEC believers and/or those accepting a literal interpretation of the Bible (or perhaps some other text), the view that humans are just so different from all other life as to support their beliefs for humans being created by God, and being separate from all other life - even as to being some representation or product of such a God. For most who are unlikely to have such beliefs, the position that we humans just developed alongside all other life and seemingly came through evolution with an abundance of advantages tends to make much more sense as to why we are where we are today.

If we looked at language (our own and others), which often is cited as being one of the major differences between humans and other life, especially as to written language or even symbolic language, it hardly makes sense not to see such as just as much an evolutionary process as for many other things. We humans, when reading a sentence, basically have a look-up table for each word we come across. We understand what each word means by some definition that is commonly held in our memory, also we might derive a meaning from the context in which it is used if the word has several meanings. This we all have to learn from not having any language at all when we are born. Before this, even as to recognising individual words, we have to understand the code (the alphabet) that forms the basis for all our words. Likewise, we also learn the grammar as to language usage so as to make sure we understand the context within which words are used so as to gain the meaning of anything as complex as to form sentences. Hence we learn from our culture as to how to use language.

So, all fine and dandy, but why would we have invented written languages or just symbols in the first place?

Given that there is enough evidence that much of non-human life seemingly have vocal communications in some fashion - disregarding gestures and body language, which are just as much communicating information - why was it that humans alone apparently developed symbolic and written language? It seems to me that a possible explanation for this occurring is that so much information was lost when the only means of passing on information was vocal, and where the deaths of individuals and/or groups saw useful information being lost along with such deaths. Why wouldn't any society, however small, want to preserve that which might enable them as a group to survive and/or prosper?

The long period, according to scientific evidence, as to where little change occurred (being vocal but no symbolic language) might just be as to the very notion of using symbols, and so as to form a language, being just so alien to those who probably didn't need it at the time. That is, that day-to-day life hardly needed much apart from the basic needs of surviving. We might have had the brains to have developed written languages but not the motives. Given that our higher intelligence, according to some, has been a fluke - not being that necessary for our survival - and hence why we have managed to develop so rapidly once we did invent written languages - relative to all other species. This because we can retain and pass on information much more readily with written language and especially so when we managed to communicate over long distances too. Now, communicating information is more of a problem - if such is not truth being relayed. Like the notion that humans are special and derived from a God.

Just some thoughts. :oops:

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
We often see many on RF, and usually being YEC believers and/or those accepting a literal interpretation of the Bible (or perhaps some other text), the view that humans are just so different from all other life as to support their beliefs for humans being created by God, and being separate from all other life - even as to being some representation or product of such a God.
I don't understand the claim. Most believers/literalists I've encountered believe that both humans and other life are created by (or product of) God.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't understand the claim. Most believers/literalists I've encountered believe that both humans and other life are created by (or product of) God.
Well they might but many see an essential difference - humans, the blessed and all that, and so different from all other life - as if we didn't exist together over long periods of time - so no evolution.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Further to this, another aspect might be as to our brains having a more generalised intelligence than many other species - so more adaptable for change occurring. Our memory abilities are obviously very important as to what we do with information but so many other species also show remarkable abilities as to their memory use. Many for example will learn the multiple locations of food and as to which we might flounder to do so - 25,000 locations for one species of bird according to one reference. Our ancestors might have done this, and as to the varieties of plants that were safe to eat or not, such that our memory abilities perhaps did rival other species in this respect. So perhaps the foundations were being laid.

So if one imagines just vocal communications going on between our early ancestors, what exactly might have prompted some to get on a path as to language developing? There is little evidence from the past but perhaps the earliest are marks made to represent counting, as for tally-markers, such that this might indicate a large enough number within any group to warrant such. But the jump to using symbols and then as to producing a written language seems a quite difficult step to make, given any doing so could not anticipate what the results might be. And even as to making materials on which to write - papyrus, parchment, and eventually paper - must have been a huge step to make.

The lack of evidence unfortunately just leaves the whole question as to what exactly did happen a problem, but myths from religious writings are hardly useful, especially when these just hold progress back - and often based on the fact that we have so little knowledge of what did occur in our past.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
It's cute how when we want see evolution, or more specifically "nature", as being the reason humans are so extraordinary among life forms, we see it exactly as we want it to be, and never question it further.

But the real extraordinary fact that needs to be addressed is why, if "nature" is the reason for our way of being, didn't all the life forms evolve more or less to the same degree. Why are life forms that are very much like humans, biologically, not like humans at all in terms of their capacity for imagination and representation?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's cute how when we want see evolution, or more specifically "nature", as being the reason humans are so extraordinary among life forms, we see it exactly as we want it to be, and never question it further.
Not from what I have seen as to those who investigate such things.
But the real extraordinary fact that needs to be addressed is why, if "nature" is the reason for our way of being, didn't all the life forms evolve more or less to the same degree. Why are life forms that are very much like humans, biologically, not like humans at all in terms of their capacity for imagination and representation?
Really? Perhaps because they evolved away from the form that humans eventually took. And why we have so many species that vary but little from others as per the spectrum of life. Who knows as to why all the other hominids went extinct. Your poor reasoning here I'm afraid. o_O

Audie

Veteran Member

Cute that you think you have challenging
questions when you didn't absorb intro
to remedial biology.
Kind of like a didn't -quite- get- long- division
kid who thinks he can show the flaws in calculus