• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans are not evolved enough for anarchism

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Humans are not evolved/advanced enough for anarchism to work. Humans are savage creatures. Without daddy government to protect everyone, and maintain order, the world would look like something out of Mad Max.

That's pretty much the gist of what I am told here. Oversimplification, sure, but this is what I understand from conversations I have here.

So, humans need to evolve into more moral creatures for anarchism to work. We are too animalistic. Only big brained evolved humans are anarchists. Now, if we were only the majority... Maybe one day we will be advanced enough as a species for anarchism to work.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans are not evolved/advanced enough for anarchism to work. Humans are savage creatures. Without daddy government to protect everyone, and maintain order, the world would look like something out of Mad Max.

That's pretty much the gist of what I am told here. Oversimplification, sure, but this is what I understand from conversations I have here.

So, humans need to evolve into more moral creatures for anarchism to work. We are too animalistic. Only big brained evolved humans are anarchists. Now, if we were only the majority... Maybe one day we will be advanced enough as a species for anarchism to work.

Some of it probably is a flaw within our species to some degree. Maybe we might develop or evolve to the point where we can operate without any system of government, although I can't even imagine what that would actually look like.

Much of the problem is within the complexities of an industrialized, technologically-dependent society like ours. But added to that is a somewhat lopsided economic situation on a global scale, on a planet approaching 8 billion people. Then there's climate change, other environmental issues, geopolitical disputes and conflicts.

Perhaps our scientific and mechanical knowledge has exceeded our understanding of political enlightenment and social maturity to the point where we're like cavemen with nuclear warheads. That is a problem, and it does emanate from governments and political systems. However, it's not a problem which anarchism is equipped to resolve. Even if humans could somehow change and develop and become more enlightened, it's still not really possible within the current structure. That has to change first.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Perhaps our scientific and mechanical knowledge has exceeded our understanding of political enlightenment and social maturity to the point where we're like cavemen with nuclear warheads. That is a problem, and it does emanate from governments and political systems. However, it's not a problem which anarchism is equipped to resolve. Even if humans could somehow change and develop and become more enlightened, it's still not really possible within the current structure. That has to change first.
I think for anarchism to work, a new generation of humans would have to establish an anarchist society. Not like the whole world is anarchist, but an enclave where their is no state control and the market is the governing force. From that seed, I believe we can start humanity on the path towards anarchism. Surely the governments of the world would not stand idly by as an anarchist society springs up.
We must tear down the system, or better yet, circumvent it through black market economics.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think for anarchism to work, a new generation of humans would have to establish an anarchist society. Not like the whole world is anarchist, but an enclave where their is no state control and the market is the governing force. From that seed, I believe we can start humanity on the path towards anarchism. Surely the governments of the world would not stand idly by as an anarchist society springs up.
We must tear down the system, or better yet, circumvent it through black market economics.

Have you spent much time studying anarchist enclaves in modern times, and what successes and issues they've had?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

You're over-simplifying this.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Have you spent much time studying anarchist enclaves in modern times, and what successes and issues they've had?
Well I'm looking into it right now, but so far I'm seeing some Anarcho communist examples, but no Anarcho capitalist examples. Do you know of any ancap enclaves?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
You're over-simplifying this.
I most definitely am! I also think it's propaganda from the state that humanity is not advanced enough to function with the state. I don't think it's true. Humans, if they chose to do so, could be anarchists. We are just conditioned to be statists by the state. Time to break that conditioning

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Maybe one day we will be advanced enough as a species for anarchism to work.

We've seen communism fail. We're seeing capitalism fail. Problems are besetting us on every side. From my belief we are in a truly evolutionary situation foreseen by many.

The next step in our maturation will be the animal level motivations of greed, lust for power and so forth will diminish and a new world take its place.

This birth is not easy; it's full of suffering but I see subtle signs it's happening.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I most definitely am! I also think it's propaganda from the state that humanity is not advanced enough to function with the state. I don't think it's true. Humans, if they chose to do so, could be anarchists. We are just conditioned to be statists by the state. Time to break that conditioning
So much true, false and half true in that paragraph.
1. Humans are genetically evolved enough to be anarchists.
2. Most humans are culturally not "evolved" enough to be anarchists.
3. A state is convenient. Anarchism is work.
4. There is almost no propaganda against anarchism. In fact, the method is keeping it in the dark. Anarchism isn't taught at schools. Informations are hard to get.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
So much true, false and half true in that paragraph.
I appreciate the corrections :0 I am most definitely wrong about propaganda: it is simply not taught. I have seen on the internet some reporting on anarchist community and movements happening, yet none of it is reported on mainstream ever. Anarchists are framed to be a minority, I think that is where the "propaganda" lies. It is true, most people are statists, but there are more anarchists than most people think

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I'm looking into it right now, but so far I'm seeing some Anarcho communist examples, but no Anarcho capitalist examples. Do you know of any ancap enclaves?

Not really my area of expertise...
I could suggest Acapulco, not in any holistic sense, but there was a small ancap community there (which I'm sure you're aware of). It's taking small samples sizes to extremes to think that suggests much though.

I've been to anarchist communities before, but not ancaps.

Audie

Veteran Member

Fish get along. We are too evolved for that.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

I think you’re right in that human beings cannot handle complete freedom from government.

I just don’t like the use of the term “evolved” in this context. It makes me think of 1890’s social darwinism and the crazy ubermensch and third reich ideas that it eventually led to.

I’d prefer to say that mankind as a whole, is not empathetic and humble enough for complete freedom from government.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

That's never going to happen until Christ reigns over all. And that won't be anarchy, it will be freedom.
Meanwhile, we will continue to fight and promote survival of the fittest.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Society evolves faster than biology.
Our brains are biologically optimized for the small-band centered, hunter-gatherer lifestyle we hominids lived for millions of years. Tribal, in-band co-operation and altruism, and competition with and distrust of other bands, is hard-wired into our psychology.
This works fine for hunter-gatherers; not so well for large, diverse civilizations.