• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huston Smith's "The World's Religions"

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
This is the textbook I'm using in my Comparative Religion class this semester. Highly recommend to anyone wanting to learn the basic core theologies of the major religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism and Christianity). Amazon listing

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's a classic! I used it in a comparative religion course twenty years ago. Definitely a book that has withstood the test of time.

Hold on here a moment! Am I confusing it with "The Religions of Man" by the same author? Help!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Yes it has. I find it interesting that he originally titled it "The Religions of Man" but over the years of social progress realized that wasn't appropriate anymore, or at least might be viewed that way by some and willingly changed the title to it's current form to include all.

Have you read his "Why Religion Matters"? I saw it at the bookstore this weekend, and almost picked it up, wish I had now.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No, I've never read his "Why Religion Matters" --- but just the title alone makes me want to read it. I've been asking that question to myself lately.