• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huzzah; questions!

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
*smiles*

Anyhoo; could anyone briefly summarise for me, a rank outsider, both what the Eastern Orthodox church holds as doctrine, and what such beliefs actually entail. Also, are there any teachings that, whilst not officially considered doctrine, are expected to universally held amongst the laity?

Links to informative websites are just as welcome as any indepth posts, by the by... :)

(I frankly know very little about this faith, so if I've [already] made any particularly gross errors I apologise in advance)

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
*shamelessly bumps into this thread*

*smiles once more*

Perhaps I should have mentioned why I'm asking for said-information. For some time now I've been developing a vivid interest and sympathy for the Eastern Orthodox church, to the point where I've begun actively seeking out information on it and even allowed myself the possibility of the considering the possibility (I'm trying not to rush things ;)) of seeking out my local church and finding out what seeking conversion would actually entail.

But I have a problem. I know rather little about Eastern Orthodoxy as things stand, and while there are many aspects of it that I like, there are even more that I simply don't know about and a few which, admittedly, I would probably struggle with. I've started ordering books and visiting various websites and forums on the subject, but I just think that I would find it really helpful right now to have a more personalised and defined guide to what's what, what.

Gratitude would, obviously, be uncovered to any who respond; if no one does I'll just continue on my merry way. :)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Sorry I missed this thread. I'm the only Orthodox member here so if I miss it it gets missed.

It would be much easier to answer specific questions than it is to answer a very general one like you have here, though. Anything you ask, I will do my best to answer and feel free to PM me if you prefer. Also, let me know if you want any recommendations for sites, forums etc. to visit.

I must just end by saying that the very best, and ultimately the only, way to get to know Orthodoxy is to attend the Liturgy. I see that you're in the UK. If you're interested I can help you find a parish where you can visit, though I'll need to know whereabouts you are. If you get the opportunity, I'd really recommand attendance at a Paschal Liturgy which, this year, happens to coincide, unusually, with western Easter.

Please do ask me any questions you might have. I'm on every week day so you shouldn't have too much dificulty getting reasonably quick answers out of me.

James