• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Don't Care Anymore

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How much energy do we expend concerned about other's judgements of us? How much do we sacrifice of the enjoyment of our own lives? How much do we forfeit out of worry what others may think of us, when in reality we are nothing but a blip on their own narcissistic and fearful radar? It seems quite a lot. In fact, I'd venture to say the majority of our short lives are wasted in trying to conform to an image in our own minds of what we imagine others think of us, who in actuality don't care at all. So why should we?

F*'em if they can't take a joke. Live what you want to, and don't care. You'll be happier, and frankly so will they if you shed some light from your freedom for them. They don't want that prison either.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Oh, boy, @Windwalker this reminds me of a huge fight I had with a long time friend many years ago. He was rattling on about the environment, politics etc and how we HAVE to do SOMETHING about it. He was really wound up. I calmly said, "Frankly, I do not have to care." I had hoped he would understand where I was coming from, but, sadly, he took it the wrong way. What I was meaning was that I was not about to get myself into a lather over things I cannot change. I work relentlessly in areas that I can change and am often quite forceful about it. However, I refuse to get bogged down over the minutia of things that are very, very hard to change (like how to "fix" society) etc...

All said and done. It's not that we should not give a rat's hindquarters about anything, but rather, that we pick our battles carefully.

Rye_P

Deo Juvante
No, you still need to care. However, balance is the key.
Ignore other people too much, and you will have an extremely narrow point of view. Listen to them too much, and you won't have your own unique point of view.

PS: Trust me, some people do care.

All said and done. It's not that we should not give a rat's hindquarters about anything, but rather, that we pick our battles carefully.

Well said, sir.

Tmac

How much energy do we expend concerned about other's judgements of us? How much do we sacrifice of the enjoyment of our own lives? How much do we forfeit out of worry what others may think of us, when in reality we are nothing but a blip on their own narcissistic and fearful radar? It seems quite a lot. In fact, I'd venture to say the majority of our short lives are wasted in trying to conform to an image in our own minds of what we imagine others think of us, who in actuality don't care at all. So why should we?

F*'em if they can't take a joke. Live what you want to, and don't care. You'll be happier, and frankly so will they if you shed some light from your freedom for them. They don't want that prison either.

And yet we are intricately bound together. I think its good to care but not to the point that it changes your course drastically or brings it to a stop. Free back is the name of the game, just data.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I usually do not care about others or what they think of me.

When others intentionally take action to negatively affect my life, however, that is when I take notice.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Obviously we have to care to some degree in order to be a functional member of society. I'm not talking about breaking from society and living out in the desert eating locusts and wild honey and dancing naked like a madman. However, in our social programming we can become so distracted in our focus of finding our place in the social order, that we lose sight of ourselves in the natural order. This leads to a disconnect. We become unplugged from ourselves, separated from what makes us, us. When this happens, all we have left then is trying to find that connection to ourselves in and through others.

"I shouldn't smile too much, as someone may think I'm weird," or some such imagination of what might be going on in someone else's head about us. To not be genuine is not to be free.

BTW, @YmirGF we should care about what others do to the environment as no one wants some dude up the creek from us to take a dump in the water we depend on to drink and remain alive. :)

Kapalika

Premium Member

I don't know about you but I don't want my neighbors thinking I'm dangerous or something. People make all kinds of crazy assumptions. I'm a trans satanist hindu something. Does what people think of me affect who I am or my sense or certainness of self or my feeling of identity security? No.

But I'm damn concerned what they think if it means they might treat me differently or poorly, which has happened in the past. I'll do or say, or choose what not to say or do around them, if it's the better option. I'm only remove those filters with people I know won't treat me poorly for it.

Oh, boy, @Windwalker this reminds me of a huge fight I had with a long time friend many years ago. He was rattling on about the environment, politics etc and how we HAVE to do SOMETHING about it. He was really wound up. I calmly said, "Frankly, I do not have to care." I had hoped he would understand where I was coming from, but, sadly, he took it the wrong way. What I was meaning was that I was not about to get myself into a lather over things I cannot change. I work relentlessly in areas that I can change and am often quite forceful about it. However, I refuse to get bogged down over the minutia of things that are very, very hard to change (like how to "fix" society) etc...

In a way, it's the fact that not enough people care like him that is the reason others like you can't do anything or at least have that perception.

Also people tend not to care until it's on their doorstep.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Obviously we have to care to some degree in order to be a functional member of society. I'm not talking about breaking from society and living out in the desert eating locusts and wild honey and dancing naked like a madman. However, in our social programming we can become so distracted in our focus of finding our place in the social order, that we lose sight of ourselves in the natural order. This leads to a disconnect. We become unplugged from ourselves, separated from what makes us, us. When this happens, all we have left then is trying to find that connection to ourselves in and through others.

"I shouldn't smile too much, as someone may think I'm weird," or some such imagination of what might be going on in someone else's head about us. To not be genuine is not to be free.

BTW, @YmirGF we should care about what others do to the environment as no one wants some dude up the creek from us to take a dump in the water we depend on to drink and remain alive. :)
As usual, I think we are much closer in our views than our words might seem to convey. In the example above, I had my priorities straight and was reconnecting, as it were, whereas my unplugged buddy was simply getting frantic and feeling a need to create new distractions.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In a way, it's the fact that not enough people care like him that is the reason others like you can't do anything or at least have that perception.

Also people tend not to care until it's on their doorstep.
Hahaha. The reality is my old friend never did get off his butt and do anything though, so it was simply talk, with no substance. This was in the era when Greenpeace first emerged. Yep, Greenpeace started in 1971, in my hometown, so many of us were further along the curve to creating a sustainable future than the rest of the Johnny come lately's! I remember avidly reading about the early meetings (which were about the ongoing American nuclear tests at Amchitka, Alaska), as it was a staple in our local papers at the time. One of my favorite columnists, Bob Hunter, was one of the founding members of Greenpeace. In many ways, it was almost impossible to not become ecologically aware, as a teen growing up in that era.

PureX

Veteran Member

I think you will find yourself alone, soon enough, if you adopt that attitude. If you don't care about anyone else, why should they bother to care about you?

The answer is that they won't.

But we humans are not a 'loner' species. We are a social-cooperative species. We need each other to survive and thrive. To ignore this fact is to so so at your own peril.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Hahaha. The reality is my old friend never did get off his butt and do anything though, so it was simply talk, with no substance. This was in the era when Greenpeace first emerged. Yep, Greenpeace started in 1971, in my hometown, so many of us were further along the curve to creating a sustainable future than the rest of the Johnny come lately's! I remember avidly reading about the early meetings (which were about the ongoing American nuclear tests at Amchitka, Alaska), as it was a staple in our local papers at the time. One of my favorite columnists, Bob Hunter, was one of the founding members of Greenpeace. In many ways, it was almost impossible to not become ecologically aware, as a teen growing up in that era.

Wow! I stand corrected (at least in this case). Very interesting.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Wow! I stand corrected (at least in this case). Very interesting.
Thank you and my deepest concerns for the nightmare you described in the other thread. I don't care if it bankrupts the company involved. Clean up the mess! And that's coming from a fairly hardcore neo-con.

Deidre

I used to care what people think of me, and now I don't. I mean, if we hurt someone's feelings, we should care to make amends of course, but I don't care about people who love to gossip, and they spend their time making stuff up about people. I used to want those types to ''approve'' of me, but no more. It's very freeing when you break way from toxic people.