• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't want to be a therapist anymore

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I hate to admit that. Because it sounds so bad. It has nothing to do with my clients. I love them. I love helping people and offering hope.

But I can't do this anymore. The politics, the paperwork, the micromanaging...it's too much. Too much for me. Yes, I got my degree in social work, but that doesn't mean I must continue doing this. I can do other things. I can even try a new career. Maybe I can go back to my old job working at a group home...

I just know I'm not happy. And I want a change.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I hate to admit that. Because it sounds so bad. It has nothing to do with my clients. I love them. I love helping people and offering hope.

But I can't do this anymore. The politics, the paperwork, the micromanaging...it's too much. Too much for me. Yes, I got my degree in social work, but that doesn't mean I must continue doing this. I can do other things. I can even try a new career. Maybe I can go back to my old job working at a group home...

I just know I'm not happy. And I want a change.

Stick with your current job while looking for an alternative, if you find something you'll be happier doing then apply for the job, when you are accepted is time to dump your old job.

This has a double benefit of keeping money coming in and giving hope for the future.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Social work is a broad field. Teaching works well with social work( tho I dont advise it if paperwork is an issue), working at a hospital(I don't know the title but my friend got a job at a hospital not as a therapist something else I'll ask her what it was), group home as you mentioned, fostering kids(which I doubt you want to do based on previous statements about not wanting kids), an actual social worker at a government agency(probably a lot of paperwork too)...you could do something else in social work but if you want out that field go for it! I'll be cheering you on. Dont be a therapist if you don't want to be.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Social work is a broad field. Teaching works well with social work( tho I dont advise it if paperwork is an issue), working at a hospital(I don't know the title but my friend got a job at a hospital not as a therapist something else I'll ask her what it was), group home as you mentioned, fostering kids(which I doubt you want to do based on previous statements about not wanting kids), an actual social worker at a government agency(probably a lot of paperwork too)...you could do something else in social work but if you want out that field go for it! I'll be cheering you on. Dont be a therapist if you don't want to be.

I appreciate that. Honestly, I miss doing group home work. Just hanging out with clients and helping them with grocery shopping, cleaning and cooking. We would have a blast on the holidays, and I always made sure I worked, because I didn't want them to be alone. But it pays so little.

I know I'll figure something out. Also, I actually did foster care work and loved it! I just personally don't want any kids. But I love working with them. Oh my gosh, I remember during the COVID lockdown we had to do zoom therapy appointments. Just imagine doing a zoom therapy appointment with a three year old xD