• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I joined a UU church!

Ciscokid

Today I joined a local UU church after attending UU services for 9 months. I have joined the UU church of Harrisburg http://www.uchuua.org/ .

I am very excited to be apart of a church home where I feel like I fit in. There is some really exciting news that the church announced today...due to growth they are beginning to get very crowded and are going to be discussing the future of the church [as far as space etc].

I also have another joy to share with you. I recently got laid off and I have been looking for work before my savings run out. I found this job on the web that was a real match for me. I sent an email to the person responsible for the ad and gave her my resume. I then picked up the phone and called her. She said "Oh this is funny, I was just getting ready to call you, I found your resume on Monster.com!, you're a great fit for this position".

She asked me to come into the office on Monday for an interview...I was elated. She then called me back later on in the day and said, her client wants to meet with me right after I interview with her....so they are very interested in ME!

I'm very happy and wanted to share it with you all.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ciscokid said:
Today I joined a local UU church after attending UU services for 9 months. I have joined the UU church of Harrisburg http://www.uchuua.org/ .

I am very excited to be apart of a church home where I feel like I fit in. There is some really exciting news that the church announced today...due to growth they are beginning to get very crowded and are going to be discussing the future of the church [as far as space etc].

I also have another joy to share with you. I recently got laid off and I have been looking for work before my savings run out. I found this job on the web that was a real match for me. I sent an email to the person responsible for the ad and gave her my resume. I then picked up the phone and called her. She said "Oh this is funny, I was just getting ready to call you, I found your resume on Monster.com!, you're a great fit for this position".

She asked me to come into the office on Monday for an interview...I was elated. She then called me back later on in the day and said, her client wants to meet with me right after I interview with her....so they are very interested in ME!

I'm very happy and wanted to share it with you all.
Congrats!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Good on you; very good choice ! UU is a fantastic choice...*whispers* if it wasn't for the 'big' guy up there, I'd be with you.:D

Solon

What is this UU all about ? I mean what do they follow, is it some mish mash of different beliefs ?

Yours slightly confused,

S

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fantastic Cisco! This is really exciting. :woohoo:

I've been thinking of looking into a local UU church myself, if only for the fellowship of tolerant, progressive, thoughtful persons of high moral character.

Tell us more about this job you've applied for. )(

Ciscokid

Seyorni said:
Fantastic Cisco! This is really exciting. :woohoo:

I've been thinking of looking into a local UU church myself, if only for the fellowship of tolerant, progressive, thoughtful persons of high moral character.

Tell us more about this job you've applied for. )(
Hi Seyorni, glad to have you on the board. I work in the computer field and was let go from a new job because I was honest with my boss and told him I was not happy with what I was doing. They didn't give me two weeks to find another job so I had some pressure to find one during the holidays.

At any rate, I don't know much about this new job I'm applying for other than they want someone with a background in Microsoft and Cisco technology [that's me!]. They said my requested salary was within range.

I just hope I can land a job soon, I didn't really have a whole lot in savings. I have a good feeling about this job opportunity tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow!

Davidium

Solon,

I am a UU Seminary student... so if you have any questions after you look at the links that Maize sent you, I am at your service. Feel free to ask them here, or in a PM... but here is one little part.

UU is a covenental religion, not a creed based one. What unites UU's is not a specific set of theological ideas,(doctrine, creed, etc) but rather an overall way of relating to each other and the world. Our ways of relating to the world are based upon a common cosmology, and that common cosmology leads us to act in the world in similar ways.

Some of those common theological/cosmological constructs are:
All people are valuable
Humankind has an inherently good nature... evil is the exception, not the rule.
Revelation is not closed... new revelations occur everyday, and we should remain open to them.
Scripture includes much more than most people would believe, but all of it is the work of Prophetic women and men, not God.
Many human religious traditions have things of value we can learn from.
Nature is divine, and we are a part of it.

Now, this is not a complete list of our common theological ideas as UU's, and I should state that it is my perception. I will eventually write a book on the theological underpinnings of UU, and this will be a small part of it. We find wisdom from many different traditions, but that does not mean that we are a "mish-mash" of any sort.... it can just seem that way at times.

Any religion that believes that revelation is not closed has one thing in common.... they can be just a bit messy. And thank God for it.

Yours in Faith,

David

Ciscokid

I can honestly say UUism is the first religion that appeared to be molded to me and my beliefs.....not the other way around. That is the big difference that I have found.