• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost my UU virginity...

Meesheltx

:bounce haha...sorry for the raunchy title...I couldn't resist!

Anyway, I went to the First Unitarian Church of Dallas this past Sunday for the first time. I had really never been exposed to this kind of church before. Before the service, I went to a discussion group and the topic of the day was Ayn Rand. Wow! What a difference! The oppenness of everybody and the willingness to accept eachothers' differences was very refreshing. I learned a lot about Ayn Rand and objectivism and I hope to keep learning more. The service was also very interesting, and I actually felt like I fit in, even among people who believed in the Jewish doctrine, the Christian doctrine, and so on and so on... If anything made me feel a little out of place, it was the fact that I believe I was the only one in the place that was 20ish and straight. But thats not really important! It was a great feeling to attend the service, and I do plan on going back, even if its just to learn more about it!

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with y'all!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience! :D

What had prompted you to attend a UU service in the first place?

robtex

Veteran Member
Meesheltx said:
Before the service, I went to a discussion group and the topic of the day was Ayn Rand.
!

That is awsome! Only in a UU sermon would the topic of disscussion be Rand and her philosophy:jam:

Meesheltx

My dad had been going for a few weeks and I just so happened to be awake at 8:00am when he was leaving so I decided to go with!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am so happy for you meesheltx; sounds like you have found your 'niche':)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I have been wanting to go to a UU service just to check it out. I am curious as to how a sermon can please people of many diferent religions.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Luke Wolf said:
I am curious as to how a sermon can please people of many diferent religions.
Just curious what you mean. We are one religion made up of individuals with different backgrounds and beliefs. Not everyone is always pleased by everything the sermon or homily or service, but in UU that's OK. We go into knowing that we're not all going to agree 100% of the time, but we choose celebrate and worship together anyway. :)

Davidium

Anyway, I went to the First Unitarian Church of Dallas this past Sunday for the first time.
Great! A friend of mine is currently the Intern (Student) Minister there. His name is Stephen Atkinson. He is from my seminary, and in fact sat on my admittance board for seminary. You might have met him. If you do, tell him you met David from the UU Church in Galveston online... he will probably laugh at the online part.

In fact, I am considering getting up real early one morning and driving up just to hear him preach before he goes back to Chicago... but dont tell him that, I want to surprise him.

Anyway, I'm glad you had such a good experience... First UU Dallas is a great church. They took care of some of my members when Hurricane Rita headed this way.

Oh, and on the question of what kind of sermons do UU's have, well, I preach at a UU church once a month. If you are interested in the ones I do, they can be found in my journal at http://dynamicdeism.org/tpst/viewforum.php?f=14 .

And remember, UU is not many different religions... it is one religion with many different faith traditions.

Yours in faith,

David Pyle
Administrator and Lay-Minister
UU Fellowship of Galveston County
www.uugalveston.org

Ciscokid

I recently attended a UU church about 25 minutes from my house and I was floored by the friendliness of the Church. I believe I have found a home. I love the UU way of life...it's so refreshing.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Meesheltx said:
:bounce haha...sorry for the raunchy title...I couldn't resist!
It's the kinda thing a UU would do. :)

Meesheltx said:
Anyway, I went to the First Unitarian Church of Dallas this past Sunday for the first time. I had really never been exposed to this kind of church before. Before the service, I went to a discussion group and the topic of the day was Ayn Rand. Wow! What a difference! The oppenness of everybody and the willingness to accept eachothers' differences was very refreshing. I learned a lot about Ayn Rand and objectivism and I hope to keep learning more. The service was also very interesting, and I actually felt like I fit in, even among people who believed in the Jewish doctrine, the Christian doctrine, and so on and so on... If anything made me feel a little out of place, it was the fact that I believe I was the only one in the place that was 20ish and straight. But thats not really important! It was a great feeling to attend the service, and I do plan on going back, even if its just to learn more about it!

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with y'all!
I'm so glad you had a good experience! First Unitarian Church of Dallas was highlighted as one of our "breakthrough congregations" at our General Assembly (a yearly denominational wide meeting) in Ft. Worth this summer. Their presentation was really impressive. A friend and I were saying that we wished we could skip out of the meeting to visit them because they really seemed great.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ciscokid said:
I recently attended a UU church about 25 minutes from my house and I was floored by the friendliness of the Church. I believe I have found a home. I love the UU way of life...it's so refreshing.
Glad to hear it! :jiggy:

It matters not to me if people aren't interested in us. But if someone is interested enough to check us out, I want to hear that we were friendly and welcoming. I am so happy for your UU church and for you. :)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ciscokid said:

Hi Ciscokid! Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm glad you feel you've found a spiritual home, that's very important, imo.

If you'd like, I invite you to make a post in the Introductions forum and tell us a bit about yourself so that we may get to know you better.

:)