• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need to lose 80 pounds (35kg)

ronki23

I am 254 pounds. I would like to lose 80 pounds (35kg) but the medication I am on (Solian) makes it difficult as it makes me insulin resistant and increases hunger. I am also on Zoloft.

I swim 20-25 minutes 4-5x a week and I use steam/sauna for 20-25 minutes as well.

The problem with dieting is that I get hungry. I think they should give me Metformin because the other meds are hampering my weight loss.

As soon as I get to 180lbs (80kg) then I can lift weights because I tried 'bodybuilding' in 2018 when I was 255lbs and I got to 254lbs with heavy weights and a high protein diet but I wasn't as strong as I was at 90kg

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Losing weight is difficult, especially if your weight is influenced by medications. Does your doctor know you want to lose weight?

ronki23

I am 254 pounds. I would like to lose 80 pounds (35kg) but the medication I am on (Solian) makes it difficult as it makes me insulin resistant and increases hunger. I am also on Zoloft.

I swim 20-25 minutes 4-5x a week and I use steam/sauna for 20-25 minutes as well.

The problem with dieting is that I get hungry. I think they should give me Metformin because the other meds are hampering my weight loss.

As soon as I get to 180lbs (80kg) then I can lift weights because I tried 'bodybuilding' in 2018 when I was 255lbs and I got to 254lbs with heavy weights and a high protein diet but I wasn't as strong as I was at 90kg

*Got from 255lbs to 264lbs lifting heavy

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I went diet soda. In my case , it was drinks rather than food. I used to be 270.

Now I'm 210.

ronki23

I went diet soda. In my case , it was drinks rather than food. I used to be 270.

Now I'm 210.

Losing weight is difficult, especially if your weight is influenced by medications. Does your doctor know you want to lose weight?

I have lost from 330 to 283. I have a ton to lose. I wish you good luck.

I was at my strongest in 2012/2014. My bench / standing press was it's best in 2012 while my squat / deadlift was at its best 2014. Physique was 90kg. I didn't look good but if I managed to add 50% to my lifts I would have looked good but not great. If I added 100% to my lifts I'd look amazing. This is all provided I stayed at 90kg.

When Dad died (December 2017) I was 115kg (255lbs) and in 4 months of heavy lifting and swimming 3x a week with a high protein diet I got to 119kg (264lbs). But my strength was 70% (squat, deadlift) 80% (bench press, barbell row) of what it was at 90kg despite my efforts.

I will lift weights when I lose the fat

From 2018 to 2021 I got my weight down to 102kg through daily walks (lockdown) or swimming 3x a week and walking 3x a week. Now my weight is 115kg again

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

My weight is on the way up again, because I'm suffering from back problems and can't walk very far. Other exercise is just as difficult. But I'm 75, so I'm sort of giving up.

Still, at 66 I lost 80 pounds, after I had surgery to repair my spine. The only way to really do that, in my experience, is this very simple formula: move more/eat less. At least that's the only sustainable way. To lose that much, I simply changed some habits:

I walked -- a lot. 4 miles to work in the morning, 4 miles back at the end of the day. But really, that's only a 60 minute commute each way, so not so horrible. I made sure to get a nourishing (but not high-fat) breakfast, lightish lunch, and then dinner that tried to stay around 400 or so calories. But even doing that, it took me 9 months to lose that 80 pounds. That's actually not very long, in my opinion.

After the weight was gone, I started going to the gym -- not to gain a lot of muscle mass, just to keep what I had in good tone. As a result, I managed to keep that weight loss for something like 7 years, and it's only since my back has gone again (and they won't do another surgery on the same area -- it's too dangerous) that I've started gaining it back.

ronki23

My weight is on the way up again, because I'm suffering from back problems and can't walk very far. Other exercise is just as difficult. But I'm 75, so I'm sort of giving up.

Still, at 66 I lost 80 pounds, after I had surgery to repair my spine. The only way to really do that, in my experience, is this very simple formula: move more/eat less. At least that's the only sustainable way. To lose that much, I simply changed some habits:

I walked -- a lot. 4 miles to work in the morning, 4 miles back at the end of the day. But really, that's only a 60 minute commute each way, so not so horrible. I made sure to get a nourishing (but not high-fat) breakfast, lightish lunch, and then dinner that tried to stay around 400 or so calories. But even doing that, it took me 9 months to lose that 80 pounds. That's actually not very long, in my opinion.

After the weight was gone, I started going to the gym -- not to gain a lot of muscle mass, just to keep what I had in good tone. As a result, I managed to keep that weight loss for something like 7 years, and it's only since my back has gone again (and they won't do another surgery on the same area -- it's too dangerous) that I've started gaining it back.

One reason I lack motivation is I have to lose the fat and only then can I start a powerlifting / bodybuilding routine. So I'm literally a year or so away before I can lift weights.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
One reason I lack motivation is I have to lose the fat and only then can I start a powerlifting / bodybuilding routine. So I'm literally a year or so away before I can lift weights.
Less than a year, if you really just do more simple cardio-vascular exercise -- walking at a good pace (4 MPH is great) every single day for at least an hour. You could do that easily by walking 4 times a day to and from a destination just 1/2 mile away -- the store, the bank, your friend's house, or just a walk around 4 city blocks at lunch hour before you sit down to a a nice grilled chicken breast sandwich.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I love a good hot Finnish sauna. That is dryer than a steam sauna so the heat is higher. Neither will help you towards your goal very much. They can help you to relax but they only cause a person to sweat or lost "water weight". Now one can dehydrate oneself a bit, but that is probably not a wise course to take over a long period of time. Water weight comes back as soon as you quench your thirst. I would try to find a low impact exercise that you can do for an extended period of time. I like to walk. Swimming is okay, but it can be sooooooooooooooooooooo boring. With walking you can usually find an interesting place to walk. Add some hills for a bit of a ramped up workout in areas.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Less than a year, if you really just do more simple cardio-vascular exercise -- walking at a good pace (4 MPH is great) every single day for at least an hour. You could do that easily by walking 4 times a day to and from a destination just 1/2 mile away -- the store, the bank, your friend's house, or just a walk around 4 city blocks at lunch hour before you sit down to a a nice grilled chicken breast sandwich.
Sounds like me. I got rid of my car and walk everywhere. Okay, for long trips I take the bus. But if I go from my house to downtown Everett that is a two mile walk. If I miss the bus I just walk because I will beat it to my destination. If one avoids one's car as much as possible it is much easier to stay somewhat fit. Speaking of which I need to walk a half a mile to the grocery store.

ronki23

Sounds like me. I got rid of my car and walk everywhere. Okay, for long trips I take the bus. But if I go from my house to downtown Everett that is a two mile walk. If I miss the bus I just walk because I will beat it to my destination. If one avoids one's car as much as possible it is much easier to stay somewhat fit. Speaking of which I need to walk a half a mile to the grocery store.

I used to walk over an hour 6x a week during lockdown and when swimming restarted I alternated swimming and walking. Got down to 102kg.

Ever since I changed swimming pool to one with steam/sauna last year my weight has been creeping up. I've also had a lot of family problems since February so I haven't had much time to exercise February- May

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I used to walk over an hour 6x a week during lockdown and when swimming restarted I alternated swimming and walking. Got down to 102kg.

Ever since I changed swimming pool to one with steam/sauna last year my weight has been creeping up. I've also had a lot of family problems since February so I haven't had much time to exercise February- May
Well, when you changed from swimming pool to one with steam/sauna, you encouraged yourself to spend some time sitting down, rather than swimming! And I'm sorry to tell you, saunas don't help you lose weight -- just a bit of water which looks nice if you weigh yourself right after you come out, shower and dry yourself off. But it's a cheat.

The biggest secret of all is not diet, not what/when/where you eat -- it's how much you actually MOVE YOUR BODY.

(But: what/when/where you eat also contribute -- you can cut some fat and carbs, add some whole grains, eat a good breakfast, medium lunch smaller dinner, all that will help -- but at the end of the day, it's always going to be a very simple question: how many calories do you consume, and how many do you use. As I said, move more/eat less. Then tune that to your personal lifestyle.)

ronki23

Well, when you changed from swimming pool to one with steam/sauna, you encouraged yourself to spend some time sitting down, rather than swimming! And I'm sorry to tell you, saunas don't help you lose weight -- just a bit of water which looks nice if you weigh yourself right after you come out, shower and dry yourself off. But it's a cheat.

The biggest secret of all is not diet, not what/when/where you eat -- it's how much you actually MOVE YOUR BODY.

(But: what/when/where you eat also contribute -- you can cut some fat and carbs, add some whole grains, eat a good breakfast, medium lunch smaller dinner, all that will help -- but at the end of the day, it's always going to be a very simple question: how many calories do you consume, and how many do you use. As I said, move more/eat less. Then tune that to your personal lifestyle.)

I used to swim 40-50 minutes 3x a week so that's 2 to 2 and a half hours in the pool.

Now I swim 20-30 minutes 4-5x a week so that's 1 hour 20 to 2 and a half hours in the pool

I agree that exercise is better than steam/sauna but I've heard your body uses calories to regulate temperature?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I used to swim 40-50 minutes 3x a week so that's 2 to 2 and a half hours in the pool.

Now I swim 20-30 minutes 4-5x a week so that's 1 hour 20 to 2 and a half hours in the pool

I agree that exercise is better than steam/sauna but I've heard your body uses calories to regulate temperature?
That's why the pool is better! Yes, your body uses calories to regulate tempature -- but only to warm you up when you're cold! The only thing it can do when you're too hot (like in the sauna) is sweat. And that doesn't use much energy at all.

ronki23

That's why the pool is better! Yes, your body uses calories to regulate tempature -- but only to warm you up when you're cold! The only thing it can do when you're too hot (like in the sauna) is sweat. And that doesn't use much energy at all.

I thought so but I heard from my friend that sweating also involves calories. He's not educated in science but he says in hot countries like India people are slim from the heat. A good man who has worked hard to get where he's at but he's not smart

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Stress can also cause a person to eat more. If you can resolve your family problems that may help with the diet too.

Onasander

Invest in a Samsung Galaxy 4 smart watch.

I got mine in the winter, and in March started Rucking again. That means big backpack and trails.

I also was on a near all protein Keto diet, under 40 carbs a day. I went from 255 to 230 by April. Then I lost evetything in terms of finances and had to eat NOT Keto foods and gained the weight back on a carb heavy diet.

It's starting to go down again (244), not able to afford Keto but it's fairly low on the moderate end of carbs and sugars.

The point of the watch is to force myself to track how far I'm walking at any given time. Only setting I keep on is location so it keeps accurate track. I had a half day so didn't walk as far, usually get it within 5 miles, but in August I was walking 10 miles a day in little tiny pointless circles listening to philosophy and history lectures. My job tires me too much to do that now, and my neighborhood isn't safe to hike off to infinity in. Tried it when I first arrived and quickly decided no after a few miles. The watch doesn't work with treadmills.

Buy it used off Amazon.

Screenshot_20231004_162713_Gallery.jpg