• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

idol worship

hey what percent (about) of hindus participate in ceremonies involving an idol - pay homage to an idol, offer libation to an idol or food, anything involving an 'idol' as in a statue - not a lingam tho

If any one knows?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious and I'm very aware that they are notworshipping the statue itself rather the statue as image of a god who is image him/herself of an all pervading reality, etc., I do'nt claim a religion, so it's curiousity...

especially also, what denominations or movements or groups are heavily involved in idol ceremonies? pardon my lack of knowledge?

do all shaivites pay homage to linga? what fraction at aguess, if you know?

sincerely, nathan

Onkara

Hi Nathanielfirst,
Good question, it would be interesting to have some solid answers. Alas I cannot provide the numbers but I will try to explain why I think this thread is a challange to answer.

In my opinion Hindu's don't tend to worship idols, they worship God and use altars, murthi (idols) or forms to focus and still the mind, focus their heart and remember God. The Temple/Alter/murthi is a point of devotion and it is not considered to be God itself. Same as incense, food and music is part of the event and not the thing being worshiped. The focus on idols comes from it being a topic of debate in comparitive religion.

Secondly it is a difficult question because worship is temporary, one may worship one Sunday a month and go the rest of the month without worship. So how do we really count the percentage without having to define all the variables to qualify, such as frequency of worship. You could try Governmental National Statistics for how many people claim to be dedicated or regular "Hindu" worshipers. Or even the number of visitors at temples, that might give a general idea of percentage. :)

Most denominations probably accept worship with the use of murthi (idols), however murthi use in worship is not considered the only way to worship in any pacticular sect that I am aware of except perhaps ISKON? Others may step in to add to that. Meditation, decidating the result of our work and even charity without any sense of self-gain can be considered acts of worship towards God Almighty.

Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism) is a way of life.

Last edited:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
In my opinion Hindu's don't tend to worship idols, they worship God and use altars, murthi (idols) or forms to focus and still the mind, focus their heart and remember God. The Temple/Alter/murthi is a point of devotion and it is not considered to be God itself.
This same thing goes for so many religions. I find it so strange that certain members of a certain religion will kneel and pray before a crucifix or a statue of Mary to help them focus, yet if I pray before a statue of one of my Deities I am accused of worshiping the statue. :confused:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
That's how Kemetic Orthodox use idols onkarah. We use images of the names to worship God.

Rainbow Mage

I believe I've read in some Hindu texts that they do sometimes adorn idols of the devas with clothing and jewelry and the like.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This same thing goes for so many religions. I find it so strange that certain members of a certain religion will kneel and pray before a crucifix or a statue of Mary to help them focus, yet if I pray before a statue of one of my Deities I am accused of worshiping the statue. :confused:

It's typical ethnocentric hypocrisy. It's like people who say "Buddha is just a statue but Jesus Christ was a real flesh and blood man." Which is funny because Buddha is an actual historical figure while it's questionable if a Jesus actually existed. It can just as easily be said "Jesus is just a statue (and there are a lot of them; crucifixes, etc.) while Buddha was a real flesh and blood man."

Wannabe Yogi

hey what percent (about) of hindus participate in ceremonies involving an idol - pay homage to an idol, offer libation to an idol or food, anything involving an 'idol' as in a statue - not a lingam tho

If any one knows?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious and I'm very aware that they are notworshipping the statue itself rather the statue as image of a god who is image him/herself of an all pervading reality, etc., I do'nt claim a religion, so it's curiousity...

especially also, what denominations or movements or groups are heavily involved in idol ceremonies? pardon my lack of knowledge?

do all shaivites pay homage to linga? what fraction at aguess, if you know?

sincerely, nathan

Ritualized Idol worship in Hinduism is much different then many people believe.

To set op a murti in your home (turn your home into a temple) you first must establish the deity on your alter. (This is only done if you want to)
With a ritual called Kailsasa Sthapana. This is done by taking God out of your heart and with all the proper Sanskrit mantras and placing HER on the Alter. In a pot of water and a coconut on top. Then the deity must be worshiped every day. This worship can be as simple as you like or as complex. To do a puja at home it might take 10 minute or 4 hours depending what you want to do. So the alter in your home is just a refection of your perception of God in your heart. Some people might do a 15 minute worship and a 2 hour meditation. Some skip the puja all together and have no alter. I talked to an Indian family that had a banyan tree with a cobra that lived in it, in their back yard. They say that that a cobra has lived in that tree for over 250 years and their family has always did puja to the Lord shiva by worshiping the cobra. Every day they go out offer the cobra raw eggs and milk in a bowl and then repeat the name of God. They claim that the Cobra at times eats the eggs.
They also said that in 250 years nobody has been bite by the cobra. I saw the cobra so I know it was there. They also had a very small toddler in the house.

Worship in Hinduism can look many different ways. The Shiva lingam as far as I know does not need a pot it's all self contained. It is also true that some people don't use an Idol but a yantra to worship. Others use fire and not an Alter at all. Some do it all. Many different paths in Hinduism.

Many in Hinduism see worship as an individualized process. There are some templets and rules for the rituals but the methods or unending.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

That's very similar to the Kemetic concept of a Netjeri wannabe yogi. Netjeri are basically a part of one of the gods put into an object. This is usually done by purifying the idol with natron water and use of the idol in the daily rites. The god may or may not choose to put a portion of it's spirit into the idol, and that would be called a Netjeri.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
When we posit that God is outside us, as the Abrahamic religions do (particularly Islam), then God becomes an object to us, the subject. We then represent God in various ways, with solid objects (like the murthis in Hindu worship), sound (the word Allah used in Islamic worship) etc. When the experience of oneness occurs (as spoken of in Advaita), the subject-object dichotomy evaporates and idol worship becomes redundant. Till then idol worship in whatever form is vital. Islam, which has foreclosed evolution in spiritual matters with its dogmatic stand on the Quran, is destined to remain an idol worshiping religion. Hinduism, which does not bind us to any text but encourages us to seek the spirit behind the texts, permits us to transcend idol worship.