• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a tree fell in the woods..

SoulTYPE

and noone was around to hear it, would it make a noise?

Answer this :bonk: theory.

My answer is yes. So what if noone was around? If it makes a noise when someone IS around, why won't it when noone is around.

Hey, a skunk might have heard it, lol.

LOL@skunk :biglaugh:

Ellie_A

Physics tells us that the falling of the tree will make the sound wave regardless if there is a receptor of any sort. My answer is yes by the way

huajiro

I agree, it will happen regardless. One thing to consider though is that the tree is the only one that experienced it. No one (or no thing) shared in the experience. I know this sounds stupid, but I don't like doing anything without somoeone else there to experience things with me. It is a kind of validation for me, as well as the fact that it gives me someone to reflect on the experiences with.

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
For those of us who choose to believe in some fairy tale possibilities, I beleive that another tree would hear it as well as any pixies, fairies, or wood nymphs. Animals would hear the fall as well.

Plus, for those that beleive in a higher power, the fall would be heard by the ALL powerful.

Brandy

Ellie_A

There is something to be said about sharing a moment, however I find that experiencing something alone (especially something that is beautiful or natural) helps one to grow and understand better who they are. I suppose that is why what some call as worship, I do alone.

SoulTYPE

LOL, you said nymph and wood in the same sentence..

Anyways, the air would hear it. Our applied God would hear it. Satan hears it.
Birds would hear it.

But then again...a cassete player left there would hear it.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I think the answer is both yes and no. When the tree crashes the vibrations amongst the air particles will occur that create sound with our without someone there to hear it, human or otherwise. However without an intellegent lifeform with the capability to recieve those vibrations as noice the sound can not take an identifiable form. Someone has to be there to describe it as a crash, a boom, a snap or whatever.
A deaf person can scream but if no one is there to hear it what does it sound like???

Master Vigil

I always thought there was a distinction between sound waves, and sound. I agree it makes sound waves, but unless an ear hears it I do not believe it makes a sound.

Reactions: Pah