• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God Turned Evil Would You Still Follow?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Simple question I think.

But I'm expecting people to break it down into What is God? What is Evil? What does it mean to follow? I know I would've ;)

But to answer those questions up front; plug in your own understandings to those words.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Why the future tense? We all know god has done a lot off evil stuff. Stuff that would be considered to be evil if done by anyone else. And I see no reason to give god a bye just because he's the big kahuna. Moreover, he's the one who saddled the world with evil in the first place: "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things," which has to be the epitome of evilness.

So the better question would be, "Why do you follow an evil god?

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A necessary part of any religious practice (that involves deities, that is) is indeed to keep deity conceptions in check.

Witness how deeply misguided people become when they fall short of that duty.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Simple question I think.

But I'm expecting people to break it down into What is God? What is Evil? What does it mean to follow? I know I would've ;)

But to answer those questions up front; plug in your own understandings to those words.

So...create a new question from the OP?...
Okay///
Huh sorta difficult because there are no parameters for a new question.

Thana

Lady
Simple question I think.

I don't believe it is possible for God to be 'Evil' in any sense of the term. He is, essentially, beyond human morality.

But to answer your question, No, I probably wouldn't worship/follow an evil God.

Why the future tense? We all know god has done a lot off evil stuff. Stuff that would be considered to be evil if done by anyone else. And I see no reason to give god a bye just because he's the big kahuna. Moreover, he's the one who saddled the world with evil in the first place: "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things," which has to be the epitome of evilness.

So the better question would be, "Why do you follow an evil god?

Just for fun I'm going to rebut that translation for I believe the third time with you.

"I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering I already worship gods which others would label as "evil," a shift to that in of itself would not be cause for any change.

That said, I worship the gods I do for precisely what they are. If they were to change from what they are in any fashion, they would no longer be those gods. They would no longer be what they are. They would be entirely different gods. In all likelihood, I would continue to honor what they were, as it still exists and is real. Would I also honor what they have become? Perhaps, but perhaps not. This is analogous to asking me "if someone you spend time with as a friend had a massive personality shift, would you keep them as a friend?" Maybe, maybe not. But I would definitely continue to honor what they were; past is present and accessible in the now. It may be Autumn, but I can worship Spring.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I worship God because of what I know God is, which is good. So no, I would not follow evil if someone could prove good is now evil.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Considering I already worship gods which others would label as "evil," a shift to that in of itself would not be cause for any change.

That said, I worship the gods I do for precisely what they are. If they were to change from what they are in any fashion, they would no longer be those gods. They would no longer be what they are. They would be entirely different gods. In all likelihood, I would continue to honor what they were, as it still exists and is real. Would I also honor what they have become? Perhaps, but perhaps not. This is analogous to asking me "if someone you spend time with as a friend had a massive personality shift, would you keep them as a friend?" Maybe, maybe not. But I would definitely continue to honor what they were; past is present and accessible in the now. It may be Autumn, but I can worship Spring.

Out of curiosity, why worship evil gods?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What if the Deity was only "sort of" evil?

A person isn't good or evil. What a person does is good or evil. I worship God for the good God does. I would not know if there was evil done by God. If someone could prove God had done evil I would forgive evil God did just like I expect God to forgive evil I do.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Why not?

It's complicated, and probably should be the subject of a different thread. But for a short answer, I regard all aspects of reality as worthy of worship (aka, I regard all things as gods), and all things as sacred, without exception. Just because some particular aspect of reality comes into conflict with me or is "icky" doesn't mean it is undeserving of respect or adoration. Adversaries are frequently the greatest teachers, and frankly, scoffing at them is just going to get me on their #@% list so I'd rather pay my respects instead of be a jerk about it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I worship 'evil' Gods too. Not my definition, of course, but is by the idea that 'any Gods but mine are evil'. Course I don't believe in evil period, so it matters not (to me). Does seem to matter to others though, but I don't know why. Hard to figure, really. :)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I worship 'evil' Gods too. Not my definition, of course, but is by the idea that 'any Gods but mine are evil'. Course I don't believe in evil period, so it matters not (to me). Does seem to matter to others though, but I don't know why. Hard to figure, really. :)

Heh true.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Why not?

It's complicated, and probably should be the subject of a different thread. But for a short answer, I regard all aspects of reality as worthy of worship (aka, I regard all things as gods), and all things as sacred, without exception. Just because some particular aspect of reality comes into conflict with me or is "icky" doesn't mean it is undeserving of respect or adoration. Adversaries are frequently the greatest teachers, and frankly, scoffing at them is just going to get me on their #@% list so I'd rather pay my respects instead of be a jerk about it.

I don't really have any fear of deities I don't like. I'll scoff.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
A person isn't good or evil. What a person does is good or evil. I worship God for the good God does. I would not know if there was evil done by God. If someone could prove God had done evil I would forgive evil God did just like I expect God to forgive evil I do.

See, I would just naturally expect more out of a deity. Idk o.k. though..

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just for fun I'm going to rebut that translation for I believe the third time with you.

"I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things."
Your "disaster" only appears in 16% of the 30 Bibles I checked. Meaning that 84% of the Bibles disagree with you.

From an earlier post I once made .
(rah) as found in Isaiah 45:7 in 30 Bibles

American Standard Version
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil.

Amplified Bible
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace [national well-being] and I create [physical] evil

Bible in Basic English
I am the giver of light and the maker of the dark; causing blessing, and sending troubles;

Common English Bible
I form light and create darkness, make prosperity and create doom;

Complete Jewish Bible
I form light, I create darkness; I make well-being, I create woe;

Douay-Rheims
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil:

English Standard Version
I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity,

Geneva Bible
I form the [a]light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil:

GOD'S WORD Translation
I make light and create darkness. I make blessings and create disasters.

Good News Translation
I create both light and darkness; I bring both blessing and disaster.

Hebrew Names Version
I form the light, and create darkness; I make shalom, and create evil.

Holman Christian Standard
I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster;

Jubilee Bible 2000
I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil:

King James Version
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil:

Lexham English Bible
form light and create darkness; make peace and create evil;

New American Standard
The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity ;

New Century Version
I made the light and the darkness. I bring peace, and I cause troubles

New International Reader's Version
I cause light to shine. I also create darkness. I bring good times. I also create hard times

New International Version
I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster;

New King James Version
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity;

New Living Translation
I am the one who creates the light and makes the darkness. I am the one who sends good times and bad times.

New Revised Standard
I form light and create darkness, I make weal and create woe;

The Darby Translation
forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil:

The Message
I form light and create darkness, I make harmonies and create discords.

The Webster Bible
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil:

Third Millennium Bible
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil;

Today's New International Version
I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster;

World English Bible
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil.

Wycliffe
forming light, and making darknesses, making peace, and forming evil;

Young's Literal Translation
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil,

Frequency breakdown
# %
"Bad times"...... 1 3%
"Calamity"........3 10%
"Disaster(s)"......5 16%
"Discord"..........1 3%
"Doom"............1 3%
"Evil"............14 47%
"Hard times" .....1 3%
"Troubles".........2 6%
"Woe" .............2 6%

Almost half (47%) of the 30 Bibles I checked translate the Hebrew "???" (rah) as "EVIL." Of course the Christian can pick a choose whatever translation best fits their theology--which is one of the neat things about Christianity; if one interpretation doesn't work there's bound to be another one around that does.

Point here, however, is that "evil" is the most agreed upon correct translation, and by a large margin.

Skwim

Veteran Member

So there are no good people. Interesting notion. Hear that all of you out there; you ain't good. :149: No way no how.

Thana

Lady
Your "disaster" only appears in 16% of the 30 Bibles I checked. Meaning that 84% of the Bibles disagree with you.

Frequency breakdown
# %
"Bad times"...... 1 3%
"Calamity"........3 10%
"Disaster(s)"......5 16%
"Discord"..........1 3%
"Doom"............1 3%
"Evil"............14 47%
"Hard times" .....1 3%
"Troubles".........2 6%
"Woe" .............2 6%

Almost half (47%) of the 30 Bibles I checked translate the Hebrew "???" (rah) as "EVIL." Of course the Christian can pick a choose whatever translation best fits their theology--which is one of the neat things about Christianity; if one interpretation doesn't work there's bound to be another one around that does.

Point here, however, is that "evil" is the most agreed upon correct translation, and by a large margin.

And the Atheist/Agnostic can choose the best translation that fits their ideology. Works both ways

Disaster, Calamity, Doom, They all mean the same thing. The majority is something other than evil. And even one can interpret evil to mean those things, Calamity, disaster, Doom etc and not moral evil.

:shrug:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really have any fear of deities I don't like. I'll scoff.

I don't recall mentioning anything about fear. Not being a jerk or developing poor relationships with others (gods or otherwise) is just... well... common sensical to me.