• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If We All Became Atheists?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What would be the pros and cons?

So the Ahmadi's concept of peace is to convert everyone to Islam and unite the Islamic world.
I was wondering if this would work for atheism?
Certainly not any forced conversion. Just a movement to evolve beyond religion.
Understanding atheism doesn't deny God. Atheism only recognizes man's ignorance about God.
What atheism does deny is all messengers of God. I suppose a few people might be reluctant to let go of their favored messengers.

IMO, there'd be nothing lost which couldn't be accomplished by other means.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I disagree. Atheism is an opinion, a philosophical position. Nobody is born with such. Nobody is born holding a belief that Santa does not exist, by the same token.

Everyone is born without belief in gods, that makes them atheist in my book. If children are not indicated into religion they remain without belief in gods.

They are also born without belief in anything, many religious say atheist have no belief. So...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

So the Ahmadi's concept of peace is to convert everyone to Islam and unite the Islamic world.
Understanding atheism doesn't deny God. Atheism only recognizes man's ignorance about God.
What atheism does deny is all messengers of God. I suppose a few people might be reluctant to let go of their favored messengers.

It would mean no religious wars, but perhaps humans would find something else to fight about

It would mean no religious interference in government.

Madsaac

Pros - Humanity would have one less thing to disagree about. More rational thinking.

Cons - Possible lack of spirituality. Can be found in other places though.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member

It's not just that people would no longer be attracted to belief in some religion, it would have to be an increase in reasoning skill and valuing evidence. That would mean an end to MAGA since it is a product of the same sort of non-rational thinking and a suspension of reality. So peace would be more likely for our species since cooperation and tolerance is a more rational thing.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Pros - Unfettered critical thinking with respect to God beliefs in my view.

Cons- some people are in such a bad way they have little more than belief in an afterlife to keep them going, so the spread of social belief is probably a tad more important to give people more to cling to so they aren't as desperate to believe a better life awaits in my view.

If all would become atheists, I believe humans would eventually regress to animal level. This doesn't mean atheists are all animal level, only that it would lead to that, because atheism doesn't raise spirit to achieve greater things than what can be seen. Some would obviously think it is good, I would not like that.

Heyo

Veteran Member

We can look at countries that have become majority atheist in the recent past, like Norway, Britain or the Czech Republic, and we can look at countries that have stayed religious or even became more religious, like Indonesia, Somali or Afghanistan.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I disagree. Atheism is an opinion, a philosophical position. Nobody is born with such. Nobody is born holding a belief that Santa does not exist, by the same token.
Nonsense -- no child is born thinking of anything like a Santa Claus, and doesn't even consider such a notion until told there is one -- and the same with gods.

Atheism is a philosophical position only in the category of philosophy of religion -- and if there were no religion, there would be no philosophy of it.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I'ld say that the answer to that question would depend heavily on the reason why all would become atheist.

Fact: most victims of islamic violence... are other muslims.
So this concept seems rather flawed.

I see no reason why. It seems people will always find something to fight about.

I agree with that.