• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you allow homosexuals marriage then...

nutshell

...do you have to allow any form of marriage between consenting adults (i.e. polygamy, incestuous relationships, etc.)?

I know this is a hot hot topic and I am not trying to rub anyone the wrong way. I seriously want to know.

My perception is the pro-homosexual marriage group gets offended when it is suggested allowing homosexual marriage may lead to polygamy or other kinds of marriage.

In my mind, it seems like a logical progression.

So, I'm just asking for clarification. What do you believe and why? Set me straight or help me understand.

Regards.

A

angellous_evangellous

Maize said:
If you allow heterosexuals marriage then...

But we've always done that.

Funny that every failed civilization did not allow homosexual marriage. :sheep:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Actually, I think polygamy should be allowed by the government, as long as the religion says it's OK. Incest is never OK, due to genetic abberations and psychological trauma that always accompany the act.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
sojourner said:
Actually, I think polygamy should be allowed by the government, as long as the religion says it's OK. Incest is never OK, due to genetic abberations and psychological trauma that always accompany the act.

and your sure your a christian? think you should consider becoming a mormon my friend!

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:

So law should be dictated by religion? :confused:

Faint

sojourner said:
I too agree with allowing polygamy (polygyny, or even polyandry...regardless of religion of course), but I maintain that allowing homosexual will not "lead" to either.

Bishka

Veteran Member
darkpenguin said:
and your sure your a christian? think you should consider becoming a mormon my friend!

For goodness sake, we don't practice polygamy anymore. We haven't for over a century.

:sheep:

Bishka

Veteran Member
darkpenguin said:
and you really need to learn about your religion, read - http://www.absalom.com/mormon/polygamy/faq.htm

You are telling me I need to learn about my religion?

For heck's sake - I'm a member, I think I know a little more then you.

*Bangs head*

There may be 'mormon' by name that practice it, but it is a practice condemned and not done in doctrine anymore by the LDS Church. Please get your facts right and

Please don't talk about something you don't know.:sheep:

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
beckysoup61 said:
You are telling me I need to learn about my religion?

For heck's sake - I'm a member, I think I know a little more then you.

*Bangs head*

There may be 'mormon' by name that practice it, but it is a practice condemn and not done in doctrine anymore by the Church.

Please don't talk about something you don't know.:sheep:

why then are mormons well known for their polygamous relationships, anybody says the word mormon to me and thats what i think of straight away! again i suggest that you study your religion better, anyways it doesn't matter homosexual marriages will not lead to immoral marriages!

Bishka

Veteran Member
darkpenguin said:
why then are mormons well known for their polygamous relationships, anybody says the word mormon to me and thats what i think of straight away! again i suggest that you study your religion better, anyways it doesn't matter homosexual marriages will not lead to immoral marriages!

They are because people push that stereotype in movies, arts, etc. and people who know the differnce (other then mormons) don't usually step in to tell people the difference.

You suggest I study my religion better? For what reason -- I think I know what I need to know and I will study at my own conveience, not because someone, who apparently knows nothing about it, tells me too.

Bishka

Veteran Member
darkpenguin said:
why then are mormons well known for their polygamous relationships

They WERE known. It was a practice in early LDS Church history - but hasn't been practiced in doctrine since 1890 or 1896.

To be honest, it's something looked down upon by many LDS people I know, yes it's a part of our history, but many of the LDS don't want any part in it.

standing_alone

darkpenguin said:

Wow... Holy crap.

Now, I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that the reason that polygamy is the first thing you think of when you hear the word Mormon is because YOU are ignorant about the Mormon faith and not because Becky or any other Mormon is ignorant about THEIR own faith. Maybe you should learn more about something before you make such statements. Just some advice.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
darkpenguin said:
why then are mormons well known for their polygamous relationships, anybody says the word mormon to me and thats what i think of straight away!

Just because you're ignorant of the actual teachings of the LDS church and have false assumptions about them doesn't make you right. Why don't you ask questions if you don't know instead of telling people they don't know their own religion. Which sounds more reasonable to you?

Faint

beckysoup61 said:
For goodness sake, we don't practice polygamy anymore. We haven't for over a century.
I'll back you up on this soup-chick.
Dark P., only fringe mormon cults officially practice polygamy (usually including underaged girls). Your own source puts this at 5% of the "mormon" population. This is not part of the mainstream LDS doctrine, and is comparable to saying that "because David Koresh's or Jim Jones' little cults declared themselves christians, that christianity endorses suicide and pedophilia." Both assumptions are technically inaccurate.