• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could pick one event that made you believe in paranormal.What would it be?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
If you could pick one event that made you believe in paranormal.What would it be?:)

Skeptics won't believe in the paranormal until they have personally witnessed poltergeist activity and have seen enough proof that they cannot disprove or rationally explain away. I've seen it happen time and time again over the last fifteen years, so I don't bother to argue or debate with skeptics. I let the chips fall where they may when skeptics are participating in a paranormal investigation with me. I always let them make their own decision on whether to believe and never tried to convince them. If a skeptic tries to argue with me during or after an investigation, I'll shut them down and tell them that they've seen the same evidence as everyone else, and it's their decision whether to believe or not. I've told them that it doesn't matter to me if they believe or not.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Skeptics won't believe in the paranormal until they have personally witnessed poltergeist activity and have seen enough proof that they cannot disprove or rationally explain away.
That is true. There is a Baha'i man who was widowed about the same time I was widowed but he does not believe that mediums can communicate with spirits on the other side. This is not an official Baha'i position, as Baha'is tend to believe differently about this. I did not bother to tell him about my TV going on by itself because I am sure he would not believe it was paranormal, not unless the same thing happened to him!

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
That is true. There is a Baha'i man who was widowed about the same time I was widowed but he does not believe that mediums can communicate with spirits on the other side. This is not an official Baha'i position, as Baha'is tend to believe differently about this. I did not bother to tell him about my TV going on by itself because I am sure he would not believe it was paranormal, not unless the same thing happened to him!

I've met skeptics who were still in denial despite their inability to refute and properly explain a paranormal experience they personally witnessed. I think that it must have something to do with being legitimately afraid of something paranormal that they couldn't rationally explain away with conventional science, the Bible, or some other religious dogmas. However, if a skeptic asks me genuine questions about their experience, I will talk to them about it. If they are rude and obnoxious, I won't bother. It's pointless for me to argue and debate with a skeptic if their mind is already made up not to believe.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I've met skeptics who were still in denial despite their inability to refute and properly explain a paranormal experience they personally witnessed. I think that it must have something to do with being legitimately afraid of something paranormal that they couldn't rationally explain away with conventional science, the Bible, or some other religious dogmas.
I think it is just closed-mindedness. They have made up their minds on this and they are not going to change their minds no matter what we tell them. This does have religious underpinnings, and some of the Baha'is can be just as closed-minded as Christians, although we are not all that way.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
An OBE (Out of Body Experience) that had verified observations would go a long way towards my starting an investigation of the paranormal. I pick that because there do seem to be a lot of these experiences reported.

By verified, I mean something like observing something in the OBE state that I couldn't possibly have known and finding it to be true. Without that, it's difficult not to believe it was some kind of dream or delusion.

I have to say, I'm attracted to that because it sounds fun, and I realize that it would not prove survival after death. Near death experiences are just that. Near death.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I think it is just closed-mindedness. They have made up their minds on this and they are not going to change their minds no matter what we tell them. This does have religious underpinnings, and some of the Baha'is can be just as closed-minded as Christians, although we are not all that way.

Some skeptics may be closed-minded, but I still think that fear is a factor in why some skeptics remain in denial while facing overwhelming proof of the paranormal and being unable to rationally explain it away. It's the fear of the unknown, along with the intrinsic uneasiness of not being able to rationally explain a paranormal event that makes absolutely no sense to them. It's the point at which modern science and/or their religious beliefs utterly fail them.

HonestJoe

Some skeptics may be closed-minded, but I still think that fear is a factor in why some skeptics remain in denial while facing overwhelming proof of the paranormal and being unable to rationally explain it away. It's the fear of the unknown, along with the intrinsic uneasiness of not being able to rationally explain a paranormal event that makes absolutely no sense to them. It's the point at which modern science and/or their religious beliefs utterly fail them.
I don't see how fear of the unknown would support scepticism. If anything, I'd suggest that would favour acceptance any kind of explanation presented for some mysterious event or phenomena.

The main issue I have with all of this remains the lack of any kind of meaningful definition for the term "paranormal". It's really just a catch-all term for a whole load of different beliefs, concepts and ideas, many of which fall out of the category as rational explanations are discovered for things previously not understood. Talking about belief in or proof for "the paranormal" is a bit like talking about belief in or proof for "physics".