• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were from an alien species how would you approach contacting Earth?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
With the recent thread about aliens and whether we are ready for contact with such, if you were an alien species what would you do to make sure any contact with us earthlings was friendly and not viewed as being hostile - and given that if you had the ability to travel to Earth you might likely have a lot more as to technology so as to do whatever you wanted?

Or, anything else, especially if you didn't have friendly intentions. :eek:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
With the recent thread about aliens and whether we are ready for contact with such, if you were an alien species what would you do to make sure any contact with us earthlings was friendly and not viewed as being hostile - and given that if you had the ability to travel to Earth you might likely have a lot more as to technology so as to do whatever you wanted?

I wouldn't. So many humans can't be friendly among neighbours locally and nationally, what chance is there with interplanetary aliens?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm doubtful about the possibility of faster-than-light travel. There may very well be life forms on other planets, but whether any of them are out patrolling and exploring the stars is a different matter entirely.

Of course, in Star Trek, they had the Prime Directive, which meant that if a planet was still divided and did not have warp capabilities, Star Fleet would have to leave them alone.

Without interstellar travel capabilities (and likely very primitive weapons), Earth would not likely be viewed as any kind of threat to any space-faring races.

Unless Earth is a source of some rare, valuable resource, such as unobtanium or Macguffinite, then I can't see why any alien race would want to waste time or effort on some primitive backwater planet like Earth.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Build a wall and make the aliens pay for it. ;)

an anarchist

Your local loco.
Perhaps. Or maybe humans are a very tasty delicacy to an alien palate.
(Obligatory post)
1729344750753.gif

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm doubtful about the possibility of faster-than-light travel. There may very well be life forms on other planets, but whether any of them are out patrolling and exploring the stars is a different matter entirely.

Of course, in Star Trek, they had the Prime Directive, which meant that if a planet was still divided and did not have warp capabilities, Star Fleet would have to leave them alone.

Without interstellar travel capabilities (and likely very primitive weapons), Earth would not likely be viewed as any kind of threat to any space-faring races.

Unless Earth is a source of some rare, valuable resource, such as unobtanium or Macguffinite, then I can't see why any alien race would want to waste time or effort on some primitive backwater planet like Earth.
There are always those darn wormholes that might or might not exist, but I'm not optimistic.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Jim would wrestle the human on the surface while I stayed up in the saucer.

Alien826

No religious beliefs

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating.

Multi-generation spaceships. Spaceships capable only of sub-light speeds, but containing all necessities to support life through multiple generations. The aliens, or us if we do it, would essentially live on these ships and visit various solar systems as they came to them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've posted this before, but it bears repeating.

Multi-generation spaceships. Spaceships capable only of sub-light speeds, but containing all necessities to support life through multiple generations. The aliens, or us if we do it, would essentially live on these ships and visit various solar systems as they came to them.

It's an interesting concept. I can't even imagine what would go into the planning and construction of such a vessel. It would be quite a project to undertake, especially if you weren't really sure of where you were actually going.

I guess if one has powerful enough scanning technology, they could get a better idea of which planets can support life. But then, it doesn't necessarily mean it could support human life. I've heard the idea that, even if there was a planet with alien life, it doesn't mean we could actually live there. The atmosphere may be breathable to those who evolved there, but maybe not to us. Or there might be some virus or organism which is harmless to them, but fatal to us - or vice versa.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So many people assume that aliens are as smart or smarter than we are. Not necessarily. What if they are idiots who somehow managed to fly a UFO here?

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's an interesting concept. I can't even imagine what would go into the planning and construction of such a vessel. It would be quite a project to undertake, especially if you weren't really sure of where you were actually going.
We have almost all the technology necessary for such a ship, just not an engine. With the propulsion systems we have, it would still take thousands of generations to reach Proxima Centauri. We need something like a Bussard Ramjet to even contemplate interstellar travel.

I guess if one has powerful enough scanning technology, they could get a better idea of which planets can support life. But then, it doesn't necessarily mean it could support human life. I've heard the idea that, even if there was a planet with alien life, it doesn't mean we could actually live there. The atmosphere may be breathable to those who evolved there, but maybe not to us. Or there might be some virus or organism which is harmless to them, but fatal to us - or vice versa.
I've said it before, there is little value in looking for (human) life supporting planets or terraforming. The idea must be to build our habitats from scratch. Planets are too big for that (have a gravitational well that is hard to escape). Best are asteroids and small moons. We expect to find them in almost every solar system.

Given that premise, ETs would probably ignore us. There is nothing on Earth which can't be found elsewhere in the solar system and can be more easily obtained. They'd probably monitor us and see if we become a threat or a possible ally.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
So many people assume that aliens are as smart or smarter than we are. Not necessarily. What if they are idiots who somehow managed to fly a UFO here?
Perhaps ask NASA about that question. But I suppose there might be alien kids who stole dad's UFO for a joyride - and didn't they make a film as to such? :alien: :fullmoonface: