• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were Messiah…

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hypothetical: you are a Messiah.

You are the key to ending the suffering of mankind. The price? The comforts of life and eventually your life itself. A life of suffering and estrangement is your lot if you are Messiah.

Ah, but you have free will! Even in this hypothetical. The question is: do you accept your role as Messiah? Or do you reject your role and prolong an enjoyable life filled with love and comforts?

Would you do it? Would you be Messiah if you were Messiah?

I don’t ask this question randomly. With my diagnoses, I am told my belief in myself being the Messiah may be the result of suspected brain damage :eek::oops:o_O. It is/was a choice I had to make, and I choose to reject being Messiah. The stress ain’t worth it to me. If I have to choose between myself and the world, I will choose myself.

What about you?

@King Phenomenon I am interested in your input (as well as everyone else’s) but yours in particular because I saw a comment of yours on your personal revelation thread that inspired me to make this thread.

Jimmy

Veteran Member

You are the key to ending the suffering of mankind. The price? The comforts of life and eventually your life itself. A life of suffering and estrangement is your lot if you are Messiah.

Ah, but you have free will! Even in this hypothetical. The question is: do you accept your role as Messiah? Or do you reject your role and prolong an enjoyable life filled with love and comforts?

I don’t ask this question randomly. With my diagnoses, I am told my belief in myself being the Messiah may be the result of suspected brain damage :eek::oops:o_O. It is/was a choice I had to make, and I choose to reject being Messiah. The stress ain’t worth it to me. If I have to choose between myself and the world, I will choose myself.

What about you?

@King Phenomenon I am interested in your input (as well as everyone else’s) but yours in particular because I saw a comment of yours on your personal revelation thread that inspired me to make this thread.
I don’t use the word messiah. Anyway, yes I know I that when I die the world begins again. I’ve known for the past 15 yrs. I know I’m that man like regular men know they’re not. There’s really nothing more to it than that.

Jimmy

Veteran Member

What about you?

One more thing
For those of you who know what I think about myself, one may ask how many times have we been here. The answer is quite simply once. There is no last time. You may think it’s hard to fathom, but it’s actually quite easy. This is one of the ways God reveals his power. The other way is being himself as the infinite universe.

There was no “ultimate” beginning of things just as there is no “ultimate” ending of things. There is only the here and now and the cycle of life which is attained through me.

God has no beginning or end, only I do.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
The only power that I would have in saving anybody from anything is the fact that I’m going to die before the world runs out of natural resources or ends up in bad nuclear war.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no interest in ending the suffering of "mankind." Not just because that excludes over half of the human species (just let women and intersexed and transsexuals suck it, I guess, only the males matter apparently) but because it is impossible to do so without either giving all humans a major lobotomy or just killing them all off.

Tomef

What about you?

A segue into a musical career would be my option. Messiah is just such a great word to build a hit song around, the sibilance and the syllable balance is just so spot on. Put that together with a white robe, long hair and a beard, throw in some dedicated followers and a bit of controversy, and you have a definite hit.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I don't use the term Messiah as that has a certain Jewish meaning, that word belongs in a Jewish context

Instead I prefer to use the term "chosen one"

Which is similar to the actual meaning of the word "Messiah" which I believe means "anointed one" (i.e. chosen, or designated)

I believe that there are numerous chosen people out in this world, I don't think there is just one

But anyway, if I was one of those chosen few then I would accept my destiny

I've always wanted an interesting and meaningful life and being a chosen one would give me that

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Curious. How long did you think you were the Messiah for? @an anarchist
It wasn’t an overnight thing. My grandiosity has been developing since middle school and it wasn’t until after high school that I understood I was a “chosen one” on a mission from God to save humanity. Then that lasted a couple years.

I still can’t confidently say I don’t think I’m a “Messiah”. But I am a lot more closer to accepting I am just a man.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I still can’t confidently say I don’t think I’m a “Messiah”. But I am a lot more closer to accepting I am just a man.
I always thought that chosen ones were just humans

But humans who had been chosen

Personally I have gone beyond believing I am a chosen one although I did for a long time

I now treat reality as though it is a role-playing game

And no, I don't believe reality is made by computers although I did used to

However, I'm uncomfortable with the notion of "non-player characters" though

But I do believe that once you appreciate that life is like an RPG then you become a different category of person

And I think that it is possible to be that category of person without even knowing it or explicitly seeing the world as though it's an RPG

I think that if you approach life like a game things become a lot more interesting

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I wouldn't take the job. It's impossible to end suffering and it's not even a good goal, in my view. You'd have to fundamentally alter the structure and nature of the universe to do it. Suffering is just a part of life and is a natural thing. For example, grief is a form of suffering and will always exist as long as living beings form loving bonds with each other and then eventually die.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
It wasn’t an overnight thing. My grandiosity has been developing since middle school and it wasn’t until after high school that I understood I was a “chosen one” on a mission from God to save humanity. Then that lasted a couple years.

What about powers?