• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Were to Describe Yourself, How Would You?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think this is an interesting subject, also I imagine that it can help one better themselves when it comes to being true with yourself.

So how would you describe yourself, personality specifically.

Your pros and cons.
Pros:
Successful in academics and in the workforce, analytical, very calm, rather assertive even to my supervisor and other people I know and with good results for it, rather extroverted and social at work and with friends, entrepreneurial, leader at work and elsewhere, tendency to think and philosophize about the world, concerned for the well-being of others, very affectionate with people close to me, largely unconcerned with material possessions

Cons:
Apathetic, lazy (despite evidence to the contrary), uninterested at my job, kind of shy with strangers, emotionally distant from people I'm not close with, tendency to spend too much time overthinking and not enough time doing, introverted and uninteresting at parties and other purely social settings, overly concerned with physical appearance, not passionate about things, bad at music and language and most art

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Pros:
...kind of shy with strangers...introverted and uninteresting at parties and other purely social settings...

Why do you think you're introverted and uninteresting at parties and other purely social settings? Is it mainly because of your shyness? Do those things tend to bore you? Do you more enjoy watching people than interacting with them? Just curious.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Yikes! Just so ya'll know, I didn't intend that post to elicit concern or anything. Just trying to make a dispassionate observation. :eek:

May i ask whether you mean not very interesting to others or to yourself?
I'm not sure how you could find yourself uninteresting. Displeasing, sure. But we all have to have a base amount of interest in ourselves, after all.

No, I'm fairly certain that I must be rather dull to most people. I think that if I wasn't me, then I'd probably find myself uninteresting.

I was thinking the same thing. I think we think you are interesting. I am sending you a note Falvlun
Thanks for the note! Very sweet of you. :hug:

maybe in rl? at least I find you very interesting, honestly.
Thanks, MM. Though, come on, very interesting? No need to get carried away here. :D

Lemur, you ditz! You're so clueless about how very interesting you are that if your cluelessness were an ocean, sea levels would rise more than global warming will ever raise them. You're answer just flubberbusts me! It struck me months ago you'd be endlessly interesting if I was 30 years younger and married to you for life. Now you go and have made a mockery of my my thoughts!

I'll be brutal: Your only totally serious honest flaw in my eyes is I've sometimes thought you were a wee bit too argumentative.
My profuse apologies, O Great Collector of Tales and Weaver of Stories.

But your great gift is that you have an incredible knack for being interested in other people.

As for argumentative, I admit, that always comes as a surprise when I hear it, but I have been told it all my life, so I do not know why it should be so surprising.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I take it you mean bad at the creation of most art, but do you also see yourself bad at appreciation of most art?
Bad at the creation of most art, decent at appreciation of most art.

Why do you think you're introverted and uninteresting at parties and other purely social settings? Is it mainly because of your shyness? Do those things tend to bore you? Do you more enjoy watching people than interacting with them? Just curious.
It's partly due to shyness, but that's not the main thing. I'm quite social with everyone at work- I can initiate conversations with everyone, including the supervisor.

In social settings, it's mainly because I don't know what to talk about, which is not a problem I have in more formal settings. The things I tend to spend time on are different than how people I'm with tend to spend their time. Conversations are about the beach, sports, dating, restaurants, celebrities, movies, while I spend most of my time thinking about politics, economics, philosophy, science, and news. Most of the things I tend to talk about are generally too serious for parties, so besides some topics like movies I'm often at a loss for what I'm supposed to say. I can make people laugh pretty well because I have good timing with comments, but basically when I'm at a party or very social setting I feel like I'm spending a lot of energy to maintain it and it's exhausting to me and I'm not sure what to say. I observe that most people tend to be more serious at work and more relaxed in social settings, whereas I kind of always have a baseline seriousness and am not really any different to talk to at work or social settings, which creates mismatch during social settings.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But your great gift is that you have an incredible knack for being interested in other people.

I'll take that as the nicest compliment I've heard in weeks!

As for argumentative, I admit, that always comes as a surprise when I hear it, but I have been told it all my life, so I do not know why it should be so surprising.

Other people sometimes have more sure footed insights into us than we ourselves do. Are there any other things people tell you about yourself that you recognize as both true and surprising?

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's partly due to shyness, but that's not the main thing. I'm quite social with everyone at work- I can initiate conversations with everyone, including the supervisor.

In social settings, it's mainly because I don't know what to talk about, which is not a problem I have in more formal settings. The things I tend to spend time on are different than how people I'm with tend to spend their time. Conversations are about the beach, sports, dating, restaurants, celebrities, movies, while I spend most of my time thinking about politics, economics, philosophy, science, and news. Most of the things I tend to talk about are generally too serious for parties, so besides some topics like movies I'm often at a loss for what I'm supposed to say. I can make people laugh pretty well because I have good timing with comments, but basically when I'm at a party or very social setting I feel like I'm spending a lot of energy to maintain it and it's exhausting to me and I'm not sure what to say. I observe that most people tend to be more serious at work and more relaxed in social settings, whereas I kind of always have a baseline seriousness and am not really any different to talk to at work or social settings, which creates mismatch during social settings.

Lyn, you might be surprised to know that you have just written a nearly perfect description of me ---- twenty five years ago!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Drawing, I like to use many different things to do so.

Interesting! Would you elaborate, please? What are your favorite things to use?

I'd love to try painting too sometime, when I have money to buy the tools.

Which medium would you like to try first? Oils? Acrylics? Watercolors? Or some other medium?

I've been playing around with acrylics on canvas.

Aquitaine

Pros: apparently I'm a good listener, I am generally a non-violent person, don't initiate fights or act macho, people say I can draw pretty good.

Cons: almost completely apathetic with most things, socially distant, outright lazy, shy away from commitment, very little aspiration, self-centred, no common sense, poor time-keeping etc

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Interesting! Would you elaborate, please? What are your favorite things to use?

I quite like to use pastels, charcoal and just plain pencils. I'm still trying to find my own style. I tend to draw cute things, characters or individual parts/clothing. I'd love to learn more technique and proportions, etc. I'm very much an amateur and self taught but I've been doing this before I can remember and never grew out of it.

So many things in my mind that can't be done yet. Oh and I have a tablet too, for pc.

Which medium would you like to try first? Oils? Acrylics? Watercolors? Or some other medium?

I've been playing around with acrylics on canvas.

I'll probably start with whatever Bob Ross uses, lol. I want to try painting scenery and perhaps someday I can make some that I have in mind (fantasy).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Cons: self-centred,

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept you are notably self-centered. It doesn't jive with my impression of you. I think most all of us are self-centered to some degree, but do you mean you are more self-centered than most?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Oh and I have a tablet too, for pc.

I've never used one. How do you like it? Is it easy to learn how to use it? It comes with an electronic pen, doesn't it? I know so little about tablets.

I'll probably start with whatever Bob Ross uses, lol.
Do you like Ross's style? He uses oils, by the way. His technique is called "wet on wet", I think. It's something the Impressionist painters pioneered in the 1800s, but Ross has done some things with (such as prepping his canvas with a layer of paint) that they didn't do. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Last edited:

Aquitaine

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept you are notably self-centered. It doesn't jive with my impression of you. I think most all of us are self-centered to some degree, but do you mean you are more self-centered than most?

I'm sure my online persona varies significantly from my real-life counterpart, although it's true that we are all indeed self-centred to a degree, I would argue I'm probably more self-centred than the average person.

Although I will admit, it is difficult trying to "determine" a quality like that, in relation to how much of it you have versus others. :shrug:

Let's just say I'm..... "Needy". :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Speaking of art appreciation, Impressionism is my favorite painting style.

It's one of mine, too, Lyn! I haven't attempted to paint in that style yet, but I plan to play around with it at some point. The reason I haven't tried it yet is that I get the impression (teehee) that it's a bit difficult to actually do. You need to really know what you're doing --- say, in terms of color theory. And the physical manner in which you wield your brushes is, I'm mildly embarrassed to mention, slightly on the difficult side for me. But that's something I think I can learn.