• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Hindu but I also want a Sikh wedding

ronki23

I have seen Anand Karaj Ceremonies and they look really cool. I like the idea of having a turban and a sword and having Sikh hymns. But I don't know that much about them. The only difference I see between a Sikh and Hindu wedding is that the fire in Hindu weddings is replaced with Sri Guru Granth Sahib. What other differences are there?

37336-taking-the-saat-phere.jpg

e344%20E018%20Saptapadi,%20D%20&%20D%20take%20seven%20steps%20around%20the%20sacred%20fire%20together%20to%20symbolize%20the%20beginning%20of%20their%20journey%20through%20life.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

96ca289589a43081ae66518b8574b6de.jpg

My only worry is that if I were to marry a Sikh girl I would want both a Sikh AND a Hindu ceremony and I fear that there will be problems with the Sikhs:

55 Sikhs arrested following wedding protest at UK temple

Protest at Sikh temple was attempt by youth group to 'reclaim religion'

Interfaith marriage is not the battle young Sikhs should be fighting

Sikh weddings crashed by protesters objecting to mixed faith marriages - BBC News

and does it NECESSARILY have to be with a Sikh wife? I love the Sikh religion just as much as I love Hinduism. I believe in 330 million Gods but I also believe in the Gurus as people who wanted to stop corruption of Hinduism and who preached equality. Hence the reason i'd like a Sikh wedding AND a Hindu one.

PS. I'm Gujarati

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Terrorists of any flavour Hindu, Sikh, even atheists, should not stop us from living our lives as we please. Ideally, anyway.
In saying that though, if you are in fear of your personal safety, then perhaps a lot of extra safety measures are in order.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You won't have any problem in having a Hindu marriage too. The only difference is in the mantras/path chanted during the ceremony. We have them from our scriptures, they have it from ri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

इहैव सतं मा वि यौष्टं विश्वमायुर्व्यश्नुतम l
कॄळन्तौ पुत्रैर्नप्त्र्भिर्मोदमानौ सवे गर्हे ll
आ नः परजां हनयतु परजापतिराजरसाय समनक्त्वर्यमा l
अदुर्मङगलीः पतिलोकमा विश शं नो भवद्विपदे शं चतुष्पदे ll
अघोरचक्षुरपतिघ्न्येधि शिवा पशुभ्यः सुमनाःसुवर्चाः l
वीरसूर्देवकामा सयोना शं नो भव दविपदेशं चतुष्पदे ll
इमां तवमिन्द्र मीढ्वः सुपुत्रां सुभगां कर्णु l
दशास्यां पुत्राना धेहि पतिमेकादशं कर्धि ll
सम्राज्ञी शवशुरे भव सम्राज्ञी शवश्र्वां भव l
ननान्दरि सम्राज्ञी भव सम्राज्ञी अधि देव्र्षु ll
समञ्जन्तु विश्वे देवाः समापो हर्दयानि नौ l
सम्मातरिश्वा सं धाता समु देष्ट्री दधातु नौ ll

"Ihaiva staṃ mā vi yauṣṭaṃ viśvamāyurvyaśnutam l
kṝḷantau putrairnaptṛbhirmodamānau sve ghṛhe ll
ā naḥ prajāṃ hanayatu prajāpatirājarasāya samanaktvaryamā l
adurmaṅghalīḥ patilokamā viśa śaṃ no bhavadvipade śaṃ catuṣpade ll
aghoracakṣurapatighnyedhi śivā paśubhyaḥ sumanāḥsuvarcāḥ l
vīrasūrdevakāmā syonā śaṃ no bhava dvipadeśaṃ catuṣpade ll
imāṃ tvamindra mīḍhvaḥ suputrāṃ subhaghāṃ kṛṇu l
daśāsyāṃ putrānā dhehi patimekādaśaṃ kṛdhi ll
samrājñī śvaśure bhava samrājñī śvaśrvāṃ bhava l
nanāndari samrājñī bhava samrājñī adhi devṛṣu ll
samañjantu viśve devāḥ samāpo hṛdayāni nau l
sammātariśvā saṃ dhātā samu deṣṭrī dadhātu nau ll"

42 Be ye not parted; dwell ye here reach the full time of human life.
With sons and grandsons sport and play, rejoicing in your own abode.
43 So may Prajāpati bring children forth to us; may Aryaman adorn us till old age come nigh.
Not inauspicious enter thou thy husband's house: bring blessing to our bipeds and our quadrupeds.
44 Not evil-eyed, no slayer of thy husband, bring weal to cattle, radiant, gentlehearted;
Loving the Gods, delightful, bearing heroes, bring blessing to our quadrupeds and bipeds.
45 O Bounteous Indra, make this bride blest in her sons and fortunate.
Vouchsafe to her ten sons, and make her husband the eleventh man.
46 Over thy husband's father and thy husband's mother bear full sway.
Over the sister of thy lord, over his brothers rule supreme.
47 So may the Universal Gods, so may the Waters join our hearts.
May Mātariśvan, Dhātar, and Destri together bind us close.
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN LXXXV. Sūrya's Bridal.

ronki23

You won't have any problem in having a Hindu marriage too. The only difference is in the mantras/path chanted during the ceremony. We have them from our scriptures, they have it from ri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

इहैव सतं मा वि यौष्टं विश्वमायुर्व्यश्नुतम l
कॄळन्तौ पुत्रैर्नप्त्र्भिर्मोदमानौ सवे गर्हे ll
आ नः परजां हनयतु परजापतिराजरसाय समनक्त्वर्यमा l
अदुर्मङगलीः पतिलोकमा विश शं नो भवद्विपदे शं चतुष्पदे ll
अघोरचक्षुरपतिघ्न्येधि शिवा पशुभ्यः सुमनाःसुवर्चाः l
वीरसूर्देवकामा सयोना शं नो भव दविपदेशं चतुष्पदे ll
इमां तवमिन्द्र मीढ्वः सुपुत्रां सुभगां कर्णु l
दशास्यां पुत्राना धेहि पतिमेकादशं कर्धि ll
सम्राज्ञी शवशुरे भव सम्राज्ञी शवश्र्वां भव l
ननान्दरि सम्राज्ञी भव सम्राज्ञी अधि देव्र्षु ll
समञ्जन्तु विश्वे देवाः समापो हर्दयानि नौ l
सम्मातरिश्वा सं धाता समु देष्ट्री दधातु नौ ll

"Ihaiva staṃ mā vi yauṣṭaṃ viśvamāyurvyaśnutam l
kṝḷantau putrairnaptṛbhirmodamānau sve ghṛhe ll
ā naḥ prajāṃ hanayatu prajāpatirājarasāya samanaktvaryamā l
adurmaṅghalīḥ patilokamā viśa śaṃ no bhavadvipade śaṃ catuṣpade ll
aghoracakṣurapatighnyedhi śivā paśubhyaḥ sumanāḥsuvarcāḥ l
vīrasūrdevakāmā syonā śaṃ no bhava dvipadeśaṃ catuṣpade ll
imāṃ tvamindra mīḍhvaḥ suputrāṃ subhaghāṃ kṛṇu l
daśāsyāṃ putrānā dhehi patimekādaśaṃ kṛdhi ll
samrājñī śvaśure bhava samrājñī śvaśrvāṃ bhava l
nanāndari samrājñī bhava samrājñī adhi devṛṣu ll
samañjantu viśve devāḥ samāpo hṛdayāni nau l
sammātariśvā saṃ dhātā samu deṣṭrī dadhātu nau ll"

42 Be ye not parted; dwell ye here reach the full time of human life.
With sons and grandsons sport and play, rejoicing in your own abode.
43 So may Prajāpati bring children forth to us; may Aryaman adorn us till old age come nigh.
Not inauspicious enter thou thy husband's house: bring blessing to our bipeds and our quadrupeds.
44 Not evil-eyed, no slayer of thy husband, bring weal to cattle, radiant, gentlehearted;
Loving the Gods, delightful, bearing heroes, bring blessing to our quadrupeds and bipeds.
45 O Bounteous Indra, make this bride blest in her sons and fortunate.
Vouchsafe to her ten sons, and make her husband the eleventh man.
46 Over thy husband's father and thy husband's mother bear full sway.
Over the sister of thy lord, over his brothers rule supreme.
47 So may the Universal Gods, so may the Waters join our hearts.
May Mātariśvan, Dhātar, and Destri together bind us close.
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN LXXXV. Sūrya's Bridal.

I understand I can have Hindu marriage but I fear Sikhs may protest or disrupt if I have Anand Karaj

@ajay0 @Kirran

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not know about other countries, but this does not happen in India. If the families agree, then there is no problem. Actually, my son could have married a Sikh girl. There were two that he introduced to me as his choices. I refused one because they were neighbors.

Treks

You can have an Anand Karaj with a Sikh woman if you want to, just pick the Gurdwara carefully.

But the Anand Karaj is far more about being joined to God than it is about being joined to your spouse. Read the Lavan and you'll see.

Kirran

Premium Member
Like, what makes you Hindu rather than Sikh, etc? I know people who are Sikh by tradition that worship and practice the same as people who are Hindu by tradition. A couple I know had a Sikh wedding, and then went to temple to worship Murugan, no worries.

Treks

Well, Sikhi is its own religion. Some animosity exists between Hindus and Sikhs - there is a history of Hindus insisting Sikhi is a branch of Sanatan Dharma and Sikhs struggle for their own unique recognition. A problem is that Sikh scripture uses examples and stories from Hinduism but reframes them, and there is a danger that bringing Sikhi too close to Hinduism makes it harder to understand the differences the Gurus were trying to explain.

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, Sikhi is its own religion. Some animosity exists between Hindus and Sikhs - there is a history of Hindus insisting Sikhi is a branch of Sanatan Dharma and Sikhs struggle for their own unique recognition. A problem is that Sikh scripture uses examples and stories from Hinduism but reframes them, and there is a danger that bringing Sikhi too close to Hinduism makes it harder to understand the differences the Gurus were trying to explain.

It seems to me that in practice, among most Punjabis the distinction is rather meaningless. Both go to each other's temples, they revere each other's gurus, they worship God side by side.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are no problems in day-to-day life, leave aside politics. There is hardly any difference between Sikhi and Hinduism. Most Hindus have no objection to accept that Sikhs have their own religion. I am talking of Sikhs in India. What Sikhs in Canada, UK and USA do is totally irrelevant to us. Let them and Pakistan think that they can create a Bangladesh in Punjab.

Treks

My learning about Sikhi and previous engagement with the Sikh community indicates otherwise. It's great that the people can currently live side-by-side in daily life. However, Sikhs who worship Hindu deities have kind of missed the point of Sikhi imho.

Kirran

Premium Member
My learning about Sikhi and previous engagement with the Sikh community indicates otherwise. It's great that the people can currently live side-by-side in daily life. However, Sikhs who worship Hindu deities have kind of missed the point of Sikhi imho.

Sikhs I know find Sikhs such as you refer to to be excessively intolerant and narrow-minded, so I guess it cuts both ways.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
However, Sikhs who worship Hindu deities have kind of missed the point of Sikhi imho.
Pray, tell me what point have they missed. Don't they have images of Gurus in their homes? How is that different from an idol (representation, murti). See this topic: Non-duality in Sikhism. Where is the question of having an 'Akal Purukha'? We are ourselves it according to Sikhi. That is what the Upanishads also said.
GURSIKH said:
hi Aupmanyav ji ,
Ek means ONE , then how it can be two ? duality , dvait is just an illusion .
Your advaita (non-duality) sounds compatible with Gurmat ;)
Sikhs I know find Sikhs such as you refer to to be excessively intolerant and narrow-minded, so I guess it cuts both ways.
In that case, they too have not understood Sikhi.

Last edited:

Treks

SGGSJ indicates that worship of idols, pilgrimages, bathing in sacred water, etc. are not useful. It focuses on what I suppose is equivalent to Brahman and views other deities as entangled in Maya. The Sikh Rehat Maryada prohibits Sikhs from a number of Hindu and Muslim religious observances.

You may have experience with Sikhs who disregard those parts of the SRM and also adhere to a 'Waheguru is the President and the devas are his ministers', however this idea does not appear to be supported within SGGSJ.

Sikhi, like all religions, has a spectrum of followers from those you wouldn't recognise as Sikhs, through to the very devout.

Some Sikhs I've known do have pictures of Gurus. Most Sikhs I've known regard them as artwork. Certainly the pictures of Gurus at all of the Gurdwaras I've been to are not shown any special attention.

Kirran

Premium Member
While there may well be Sikhs who see Waheguru as the President and "the devas" as his ministers, I haven't come across that personally. I've only encountered Waheguru=God=Shiva=Kali=Murugan etc.

Treks

While there may well be Sikhs who see Waheguru as the President and "the devas" as his ministers, I haven't come across that personally. I've only encountered Waheguru=God=Shiva=Kali=Murugan etc.

That's interesting, as I haven't come across the kind you're talking about. SGGSJ makes it very clear that they are not the Ik Onkar.

Kirran

Premium Member
That's interesting, as I haven't come across the kind you're talking about. SGGSJ makes it very clear that they are not the Ik Onkar.

Interesting. I know quite a few Sikhs like that. It's basically like, the Absolute is appearing to us in many forms and with many names.

Treks

Interesting. I know quite a few Sikhs like that. It's basically like, the Absolute is appearing to us in many forms and with many names.

I'm not sure the idea of the Absolute appearing in many forms wih many

I suppose they don't have much regard for the SRM, not to mention what Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says as its very first word. To each their own!

Kirran

Premium Member
I suppose they don't have much regard for the SRM, not to mention what Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says as its very first word. To each their own!

Well I'm very sure they believe in oneness, unity, Ek Onkar. But it's like, so do most Hindus and stuff anyway.