• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm wondering if technology could actually renew interest in magic, or how the two might work together

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Something still on my mind from my earlier days of religious practice, is the concept of magic.

Honestly.... as technology continues its advances, I wonder if the allure of magic will wane.

However, I also believe that the opposite could occur. That rather than technology driving interest in magic off, further technological progress will kindle a renewed fascination with the mystical.

I feel that the more we uncover through technological progress, the more we realize the vast unexplained things around us.

While technology serves as a practical real-world tool, it often lacks the capacity to evoke a sense of wonder, even when it tries to.

If anything, technology tends to at times promote the opposite when used by itself in isolation - too much of it "may" lead to materialism or even depression at times, etc.

Perhaps, if we think about the illusion, false mirrors (so to speak), and wonder of magic, we can implement those ideas to try and make more interesting and entertaining technology? To try to tap into that primal need to be "amazed" and "filled with wonder" that I seem to see.

One may ask what I mean by "magic". But it's about as hard to define as "God" for me. Magic can be an abstract concept, a construct, an idea or ideal, or magick, as well as stage magic tricks. When I speak of "magic", really I'm not talking about miracles only, but I guess that can be a form of magic, too.

I also feel that there is a near direct relation between open-mindedness and interest in magic (at times), so if people in the future are less absorbed in "dogma", so to speak, "magic" may see increased interest or start to pick up in interest.

On the other hand, I can also see an automated world where everything is manufactured, no magic, and to me, whether that thrives, might depend on intelligence and know-how - things like that.

Anyway, just a thought.

But to me, a world with magic and technology both, sounds more interesting. And yes, I'm just dreaming.