• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Images Behind Soldier's Iraq Refusal

Rex

Founder
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Images Behind Soldier's Iraq Refusal [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Russ Bynum[/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

HINESVILLE, Ga. - A young girl clutching her arm blackened by burns, dogs feeding off bodies in mass graves — the images still haunt Sgt. Kevin Benderman 15 months after he came home from Iraq.

Witnessing the brutal reality of war, Benderman stunned his commanders when he sought a discharge as a conscientious objector after 10 years in the Army.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
0117-01.jpg

Sgt. Kevin Benderman and his wife, Monica, are shown, Jan. 11, 2005, at their Hinesville, Ga., home. Benderman, a veteran of the 2003 invasion of Iraq, has applied for conscientious objector status prior to his battalion's deployment back to Iraq. Benderman faces a possible court-martial after he failed to deploy earlier this month with his unit . (AP Photo/Savannah Morning News, John Carrington)
[/font]In an interview with The Associated Press, the sergeant said he never grasped the misery that war inflicts on civilians as well as combatants until he saw it all firsthand.

"Some people may be born a conscientious objector, but sometimes people realize through certain events in their lives that the path they're on is the wrong one," Benderman said. "The idea was: Do I really want to stay in an organization where the sole purpose is to kill?"

Benderman's decision — choosing conscience over his commitment to fellow troops — has meant bearing the insults.

An officer called him a coward. His battalion chaplain shamed him in an e-mail from Kuwait. That's because Benderman, whose unit just deployed for a second combat tour in Iraq, refused to return to war.

Benderman, 40, filed notice in December, and his timing could hardly have been worse for the Army. The Fort Stewart-based 3rd Infantry Division began deploying its 19,000 soldiers this month.

Benderman's unit, the 3rd Forward Support Battalion, was leaving for Kuwait on Jan. 5. When commanders ordered him to deploy while they processed his objector application, he refused to show up for his flight.

He said he has his reasons, reflecting on time in Iraq.

Benderman told of bombed out homes and displaced Iraqis living in mud huts and drinking from mud puddles; mass graves in Khanaqin near the Iranian border where dogs fed off bodies of men, women and children.

He recalled his convoy passing a girl, no older than 10, on the roadside clutching a badly injured arm. Benderman said his executive officer refused to help because troops had limited medical supplies.

"Her arm was burned, third-degree burns, just black. And she was standing there with her mother begging for help," Benderman said. "That was an eye opener to seeing how insane it really is."

Now Benderman, a mechanic who has been reassigned to a non-deploying rear detachment unit, could face a court-martial. Fort Stewart officials have not decided whether to charge him.

Separately, he must convince commanders he is morally opposed to war in all forms, as Army regulations define conscientious objection, despite his lengthy military service and previous combat tour.

"If he went to Iraq and then comes back and says, `I'm now opposed to war,' the issue is are you opposed to all wars or just this one you don't want to go back to?" said Mark Stevens, a military defense lawyer and retired Marine Corps judge advocate. "He wasn't opposed to war two years ago, why is he opposed to it now?"

Benderman said the officer who took his objector notice dismissed him as a coward. His unit's chaplain offered little encouragement.

"You should have had the moral fortitude to deploy with us and see me here in Kuwait to begin your CO application," Army Chaplain Matt Temple said in a recent e-mail to Benderman. "You should be ashamed of the way you have conducted yourself. I certainly am ashamed of you."

Benderman's wife, Monica, said her husband hinted that he had doubts about taking part in the war in a letter he sent home that referenced scholars' belief that Iraq was home to the biblical Garden of Eden.

"He said, `Here I am in the Garden of Eden, and what am I doing here with a gun?'" she said.

Raised a Southern Baptist in Tennessee, Benderman keeps an open Bible on his living room table but said he's "more spiritual than religious." After going to Iraq, he picked up the Quran and was struck by the similarities between Islam and Christianity.

He returned in September 2003 after serving eight months in Iraq with the 4th Infantry Division from Fort Hood, Texas. As a mechanic who fixes Bradley armored vehicles, he said he never fired a weapon in combat.

Still, Benderman began questioning whether he could return to a war zone when he transferred to Fort Stewart in October 2003. He said he never mentioned his doubts to soldiers in his new unit, but trained with them for a year as they prepared for a second tour. By December, he had even packed his clothes and equipment for shipping overseas. Benderman acknowledged that waiting more than a year, until right before deployment, may seem "out of the blue." But he insisted his decision came from long deliberation, not desperation. "People say, `You're abandoning these soldiers that depend on you,' and so that weighs on you," he said. "But what's worse? Going over there and participating in war, or maybe doing something that can help people figure out that you don't have to go to war?"

[/font]

Ceridwen018

Is this guy a piece of work or what? Everyone knows that you don't have to go to war--there was no draft. There's no one over there right now who doesn't want to be there, and anyone who is over there 'against their will' somehow is just vying for attention--if they want out so badly, then get out.

What was this guy expecting, anyway? ""Alright Mr. Iraqi. If you could just drop your weapon and climb into the back of this bus, we'll take you and your buddies to the POW camp. It really is a nice place over there--I believe they just installed a swimming pool! Yeah, that's the way! Thanks for your cooperation." I mean, come on! War sucks, and that's the truth.

Now, war isn't for everyone, and I understand that. Not everyone is cut out to be a soldier, and that's perfectly accpetable, but that doesn't permit for this guy to publish his bleeding heart all over the place. Personally, this article creates a very poor impression of this man in my mind. What about all of the other men and women who are still over there? Does he think it's so much harder on him than any of them? If you don't agree with the premise of the war, then I can't expect you to fight, but don't go over there and wimp out.

huajiro

I agree....after contributing so much to the war effort, all of a sudden you get a conscience?

I realize that people learn form their mistakes.....why didn't he get out after he saw that little girl and help her? Why did it take him 10 years to realize that the military's sole objective is to defend or attack, and our military does a lot of attacking.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Everyone knows that you don't have to go to war--there was no draft.
Dear Ceridwen,

For many the only way to accomplish this is "desertion". IF you are in the reserves OR the regular army, you do not get to choose whether you are deployed or not.

but that doesn't permit for this guy to publish his bleeding heart all over the place.
Are you saying that because he disagrees with you and your view, he chould be censored?

My dad served in both WWII and the Korean conflict as a Marine pilot. He requested to be reassigned from a close support bombing squadran to the new helicoptor evac squad due to his conscience. His CO severely reprimanded him for this but allowed the transfer.

He was a distinguished and highly decorated pilot, and had many times been cited for going above and beyond his duty.

Shortly after my sister's second birthday he had recieved pictures of the party from my mom. He had them in his pocket as he headed out on his last mission. Since he was heading into hostile territory he was assigned a Sargeant for protection. The coptors were quite small back then, so this was rare. Once having three soldiers bound on stretchers to the rungs (two was normal) he started to ascend. At this point a refugee family grabbed on to the bottom of the rungs hoping to escape the horror they were living through. The Sargeant shot them off the rungs without asking my dad. Then the sargeant had to force my dad (at gunpoint) to return to the controls and fly the coptor back to base. Clutched in one of their arms was a little girl about the same age as my sister.

My dad was first sent to the brig and then to the hospital. He was given a medical discharge a day or two later and sent home. He never fully recovered and spent the rest of his life in and out of psychiatric hospitals as well as battling alcoholism. In one of his lucid moments (at the VA hospital in Gainseville Fl) he made me to promise to never ever go into the service.

Just before Christmas (I was 8) one year, he came home stupid drunk, and fell into a door at home. The impact pushed a piece of shrapnel into his heart and triggered a massive and fatal heart attack.

My entire childhood was devoted to achieving a CO status because of the promise I made to my dad. War is hell. We need to get our troops back home. NOW!

Scuba Pete

You cannot grasp the horror of it all. Don't even try!!! Trying to understand his reactions and revulsion from your ivory towers is futile. Don't judge a soldier until you walk a mile in his combat boots.

Ceridwen018

For many the only way to accomplish this is "desertion". IF you are in the reserves OR the regular army, you do not get to choose whether you are deployed or not.
I see, NetDoc. However, why would you join the reserves or the army if you didn't have the intention or willingness to fight? This is the US army--not summer camp.
Are you saying that because he disagrees with you and your view, he chould be censored?
He absolutely should not be censored--that didn't quite come out how I expected it to. What I meant was that, "I went to war, but it was too hard so I quit," is not a particularly interesting or inspirational message. Sorry for the confusion on that one.

The story of you father is very touching, NetDoc. I feel priveledged that you chose to share it with me.

robtex

Veteran Member
Netdoc I am sorry about your father. I think what Ceridwen is questioning is his motive. The guy has been playing GI Joe for a decade plus he must have factored the paycheck into his decision to stay at some point. The question she raised isn't about the morality of the war but the reality of the motivies of his decision. Do you I or anyone else really need to see a mangled child, a bombed house or a bullet kill another human being that came from a gun within our hands to know that this would feel horrible? Speaking for myself I can say I don't and would further suggest that very few, if any, others would need that kind of negative inspiration either.

It goes back to what Huajiro just posted. It is not reasonable to think that he spent this time in the miltary and was completly unware of what the purpose of the organization is.

Two things more to consider

1) someone will now go in his place
2) he did his entire first tour without leaving
a) because he did his first tour I am guessing he was gambling his chances of being called up again vs his penatly for desertion just as he is now gambling his penalty for desertion vs his chances of being hurt in the next year.

while i believe the war is wrong too I am getting the vibe from that article that that was not his largest motive for refusing to go back based on the facts that

1) he was in the miltary which is designed for war and killing (ie people absolute against this don't join the miltary )

2) he went on and completed his first tour

3) it is unreasonable to think with the training he has recived for the last decade that he could not imagine what the final application would be like.

If the ends justify the means in this case though the biggest benefit from him and other deserts like him is that they will share more gruesome stories to the general public who seem to somehow believe that bombs can somehow be smart and selective and that somehow we are killing terroists (as opposed to non terrorist) very day over there.

Scuba Pete

why would you join the reserves or the army
I do believe that the army recruiters and those responsible for advertising should be indicted for violating "truth in advertising". There is little about the horrors of war in their spiel. It's a typical bait and switch tactic but since it's the government we allow them to do it.

that didn't quite come out how I expected it to.
Which is why I asked and did not accuse. It didn't sound like something you would say. :D

I feel priveledged that you chose to share it with me.
You are welcome. I don't share that very often. Not sure why, except that I cry everytime I try to relate it. Having put it down in print seems to have really helped too! Kudos to Rex_Admin for such a great topic.

Americans, for the most part, live incredibly sheltered lives. We have no clue what it's really like to see the carnage of war, or see a reality of life that is not somewhat Disney-esque. I invite any and everyone to visit a third world country of your choice, but do it AWAY from the travel agents. You will find yourself in danger, so please be careful. We don't want to lose you! For the really adventurous, go and visit a real war zone. See the fear in the eyes of the non-combatants. Hear the staccato of small gun fire in the night, knowing that someone is now bleeding to death.

If that is out of the question, go watch Full Metal Jacket. It's about as real as it gets and even then, it glorifies war.

Scuba Pete

1) someone will now go in his place
Yes, we need more cannon fodder. We don't have nearly enough graves at the moment.

2) he did his entire first tour without leaving
My dad fought an entire war, so?

I am guessing he was gambling his chances of being called up again vs his penatly for desertion just as he is now gambling his penalty for desertion vs his chances of being hurt in the next year.
You ARE guessing. What he described has nothing to do with HIM being hurt/maimed/killed, but it has EVERYTHING to do with avoiding the horror of watching it happen to innocents. How could you POSSIBLY know how you are going to react to such a situation until you are in it? YOU CAN'T!

robtex

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
I do believe that the army recruiters and those responsible for advertising should be indicted for violating "truth in advertising". There is little about the horrors of war in their spiel. It's a typical bait and switch tactic but since it's the government we allow them to do it.
Never been in one..what do they say...what is the formula for the pitch presented as you saw it ? but cool to hear about from one who has seen it.

Scuba Pete

Just watch the steenking commercials. They NEVER show real warfare. They only use training ops and never anything else. There is one commercial that shows a patrol on recon... and it's a double dog dare.

"Be all that you can be"

"Looking for a few good men"

robtex

Veteran Member
Netdoc I am not pulling your father into the discussion. I can tell you however that on his conscience objecter review the opposition will bring up the fact that he did do a combat tour. It doesn't bode well that he had the moral apptitude to go once but not twice. That is very inconsistant. I am opposed to the war too and I am seeing this thread as about this particualr soilders motives as opposed to the war itself which is why I am theorizeing on his motive. I noticed you have not counter theory or arguement against my theoreis other than it is impossible for me to know. While it is impossible it still is predictalbe and with the info present I have a strong suspesion too that he is more concerned for his saftey than this moral rejection of killing others based on the orginal article and my post you argued with.

Scuba Pete

My point...

until you watch dogs eat the corpses or see a little girl burned needlessly, you have NO CLUE how that will affect you.

I am glad that you see the war as "wrong". He sees it on a far more personal level. Some people get hardened to it, and some are destroyed by it. Determining this man's mental health and new found conscience without talking to him is impossible. Can it happen? I just showed you how the inside of a man can be destroyed by war. We are quick to assign cowardice to such a reversal when the man has already been proven in battle. It makes far more sense that he has had a sincere change of conscience and is BRAVE enough to buck the entire eyestem.

Faminedynasty

To my mind, there is nothing insane about deploring senseless violence and war. That is as sane as one can be. Regardless of the experiences that lead to a soldier refusing to fight in an unjust and devastating war, he deserves praise for having the courage to do so. And the sooner that more do, the better.

lousyskater

Ceridwen018 said:
What about all of the other men and women who are still over there? Does he think it's so much harder on him than any of them?
not every person has the same tolerance for things like this. there are people who literally puke at the sight of a few drops of blood, and people who can eat right after killing someone.

and you ask "why even go over there in the first place if you're going to wimp out?". simple really, most people who go to war don't really know what to expect. the true reality of war isn't shown on T.V. and armed forces recruiters tell you nothing but the pros about being in the reserve or in active duty. they purposely leave out all of the dangers so that they don't discourage the possible recruits.