• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imaginary friends?

SoulTYPE

I admit. I have had them on occasion. Still do.

I have 2 on/off imaginary friends. there names are Laura and Erene. No, they aren't sexual fantasy girls, lol. Just well, yeah friends. Laura is a witch of Death, whilst Erene is a dark sorceress.

Anyway, that sh*t aside, have you ever had imaginary friends? Or do? I believe imaginary friends can be caused from lonliness, or just a vivid imagination. Tell me your opinions or beliefs, and I will not judge or discriminate them. Is having these friends mentally stable? Or someone possessing these friends in need of psychiatric help?

I don't think so.

:)

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
lol. sadly ive never had imaginary friends. i mean, i would always play with my imagination and be part of a movie and act with characters like in a story, but i didnt depend on them for a relationship, just a plot. i was quite the loner.

even more sadly this imaginary thing happens with my crushes. i think that is pretty phsycologically wrong with me. not to the extent where im actually convinced that they love me, but i imagine that we *hang out* (u know what i mean). i guess thats quite normal. i crush quite easily even if i dont know the person.

btw, do you think its wrong to crush on a person who has a gf? i really dont know...

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
For those that believe in spirits, guardian angels, or the like, I've heard a number of good arguments that those beings can be interpreted by adults as a child's 'imaginary' friends. If one sees imaginary friends in that way, I've got a spider with a babushka (sp?) named Baba that's waving over my shoulder at everyone. (And you've not seen anyone wave until you've seen a seven-foot spider wave. One appendage doesn't seem to cut it for them.)

And Gerani, I see absolutely nothing wrong with crushing on someone that can't/ won't reciprocate, except for that it probably isn't doing your gentle heart any good. As you said, though, you aren't at the extent where you think they love you back, so I don't think that's anything to be concerned about. (But I hope you find someone that respects you for the lovely soul you are.)

Lightkeeper

SoulTYPE01 said:
I admit. I have had them on occasion. Still do.

I have 2 on/off imaginary friends. there names are Laura and Erene. No, they aren't sexual fantasy girls, lol. Just well, yeah friends. Laura is a witch of Death, whilst Erene is a dark sorceress.

Anyway, that sh*t aside, have you ever had imaginary friends? Or do? I believe imaginary friends can be caused from lonliness, or just a vivid imagination. Tell me your opinions or beliefs, and I will not judge or discriminate them. Is having these friends mentally stable? Or someone possessing these friends in need of psychiatric help?

I don't think so.

:)
Maybe practice makes perfect. If we practice with the imaginary, maybe a real friendship will evolve. They may be parts of yourself that you are in touch with. Once these parts are truly recognized and respected they fade into the background.

Lightkeeper

Gerani1248 said:
lol. sadly ive never had imaginary friends. i mean, i would always play with my imagination and be part of a movie and act with characters like in a story, but i didnt depend on them for a relationship, just a plot. i was quite the loner.

even more sadly this imaginary thing happens with my crushes. i think that is pretty phsycologically wrong with me. not to the extent where im actually convinced that they love me, but i imagine that we *hang out* (u know what i mean). i guess thats quite normal. i crush quite easily even if i dont know the person.

btw, do you think its wrong to crush on a person who has a gf? i really dont know...
I can really identify with you. I think everything is right with you and nothing is wrong. You are a beautiful person and I think you will have a great relationship with someone.

Pah

Uber all member
My imaginary friend was named Googah and he was the one that got me in trouble. I can still remember standing in the yard telling my mother that Googah broke the window.

-pah-

Lightkeeper

pah said:
My imaginary friend was named Googah and he was the one that got me in trouble. I can still remember standing in the yard telling my mother that Googah broke the window.

-pah-
:biglaugh: Poor Googah. It's no wonder you didn't have real friends if that's what you did to them.:biglaugh:

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
My imaginary was friend is Dan Rathers. :p

One day, he got lost in my closet, and I've never seen him again. :(

But now, my new friend is a tiny troll named Bob! :)

But sometimes, he conjures the wrath of nature. :tsk:

I'm going to leave the closet door open for Bob...

Hope

Princesinha
I haven't had any imaginary friends in recent years, but there is definitely nothing wrong with having them! When I was younger I used to have conversations with imaginary people--it was quite fun. Cause you could make them say whatever you wanted them to, and then you could say something witty in return. I was extremely shy growing up, and was extremely sheltered as well--watched hardly any TV--so I learned to rely quite heavily on my imagination to entertain myself. One of my favorite things to do was every night, when I got in bed, and the lights were turned out, to lie in my bed and act out stories in my head till I fell asleep. I would create characters and scenes throughout the day, then couldn't wait to go to bed to act everything out! Wheee! Yes, I was strange! :p But it was great fun. And to this day I have a pretty active imagination, which I often vent in stories and poems and stuff. I think the imagination is one of God's coolest gifts to us. :)

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I used to do that too, Hope...some of my stories went on for weeks lol, me acting them out in my head a little each night.

As for imaginary friends, I don't really remember if I had them as a kid...lady_lazarus would know. I know she had a doozie of her own... :p

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Bastet said:
I used to do that too, Hope...some of my stories went on for weeks lol, me acting them out in my head a little each night.

As for imaginary friends, I don't really remember if I had them as a kid...lady_lazarus would know. I know she had a doozie of her own... :p
I had several. Got on a bus with mum one day and instructed the bus driver that he was to wait until they'd all found a seat and sat down before he drove off. I'm not sure of the particular one you're refering to though.
I don't recall you having any, to be honest. Not that you were particularly vocal about, anyway.

Runt

I've never had imaginary friends. I did, however, pretend to have imaginary friends a fefw times when my real friends were talking about their invisible buddies. I'd be all like, "You have a purple giant named Georgia behind you who likes peanut butter sandwiches and sleeps under the bed? Well, I have a blue cow in my closet who lives off of orange juice... yeah, his name is, um... Bob. Bob the blue cow. He's my imaginary friend, just like Georgia is yours!" *rolls eyes*

maggie2

One of the best-loved children's authors of all time was L. M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables) and she had imaginary friends for years. It's perfectly okay to have imaginary friends, in my opinion. Who is to say it isn't okay? Keep on enjoying your pals.

SoulTYPE

Thank you for the compliment, maggie. :)

They are on and off friends, and sometimes I don't "associate" with them. When I am relaxed, sometimes I pretend they are there. I don't like talk out loud to them, though.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
lady_lazarus said:
I had several. Got on a bus with mum one day and instructed the bus driver that he was to wait until they'd all found a seat and sat down before he drove off. I'm not sure of the particular one you're refering to though.
I don't recall you having any, to be honest. Not that you were particularly vocal about, anyway.
I seem to remember mum telling stories about you making her hold taxi doors open for your imaginary friend, among other things...can't remember more details off the top of my head. Guess you could ask her lol.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"I can really identify with you. I think everything is right with you and nothing is wrong. You are a beautiful person and I think you will have a great relationship with someone."

thanks!

but really. i do think something is mentally wrong with me. slightly at best. i mean, i thought holden caufiled was a realy cool person. then i realized he was in an physciatric institution.

that scared me.

oh well. cya.

SoulTYPE

When I get lonely, sometimes I "call" on Laura and Erene. Not for any "sexual" interest, but just two friends that follow the same religion I do.

Lightkeeper

Gerani1248 said:
"I can really identify with you. I think everything is right with you and nothing is wrong. You are a beautiful person and I think you will have a great relationship with someone."

thanks!

but really. i do think something is mentally wrong with me. slightly at best. i mean, i thought holden caufiled was a realy cool person. then i realized he was in an physciatric institution.

that scared me.

oh well. cya.
I started a thread on this in General Debates. Let's see what others think of Holden Caulfield.