• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In addition to the secular observances of Veterans' Day

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I put this in the general forum because all the Pagan religions have slain warriors. I'm sure there are also living Pagan veterans. Does anyone do anything special for the warriors of our respective religions? For example, are the einherjar honored in any particular way?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Veterans Day is one of those secular holidays that I never paid much attention to. Even though I have a parent who is a veteran, it wasn't something we made a big deal of in our family traditions. It was just another day on the calendar, that lacked special meaning. Veterans in general are a population I lacked sensitivity to. They were not people deserving of special recognition to me. On top of that, I was also very anti-war and "war or violence is never the answer."

Then, the most bloodthirsty and violent of war gods righty slapped me in the face and taught me some very important lessons that shattered those naive, ingrate attitudes. I still don't pay much attention to Veterans Day, or to veterans, but I have a deep respect for them that I completely lacked beforehand. I might actually light some incense and offer some devotion to Ares and the warriors of our world, whereas before I never would have paid it any attention except, possibly, to balk at it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks, I'm thinking of something simple like a toast, incense, candles... which of course I do anyway, but I might couple it with a prayer or a few words particularly for veterans and the fallen. Memorial Day actually commemorates the fallen, Veteran's Day commemorates all who have served, whether living or dead.

Sees

Dragonslayer
My wife and I usually think of one or two nice things to do or places to visit since we are both vets. Treat it sort of like an extra birthday :)

I usually do a toast to active folks out there later in the day and make a few phone calls.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for your service! ;) My two brothers, a nephew, my late brother-in-law, and another brother-in-law are vets: navy, navy, navy, coast guard, respectively. Maybe I'll call, drop an e-mail, send a message via my sister to my b-i-l who is in assisted living, and offer a prayer for my late b-i-l. Dang... why didn't I think of all that!? :oops: