• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Memoriam: Christopher Reeve, Unitarian Universalist

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
(Oct. 12, 2004) Unitarian Universalist, actor, director and activist Christopher Reeve, who died on October 10, was today remembered by UUA President William G. Sinkford as a role model and stirring presence in the world. Sinkford said, “I was deeply saddened to hear of the death of Christopher Reeve. His courage was an inspiration to millions, and his advocacy a source of hope to so many. Christopher bore witness in both word and deed to the healing power of his Unitarian Universalist faith. I am so thankful that he found a religious home with us and a faithful minister in the Rev. Frank Hall of the Westport (Connecticut) Unitarian Church.”

When asked about his decision to become a UU in an interview with Reader's Digest, Reeve commented: “It gives me a moral compass. I often refer to Abe Lincoln, who said, ‘When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion.' I think we all have a little voice inside us that will guide us. It may be God, I don't know. But I think that if we shut out all the noise and clutter from our lives and listen to that voice, it will tell us the right thing to do.”

Rev. Sinkford said, “Let me encourage those who wish to honor Christopher's memory to make a contribution to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation www.ChristopherReeve.org as I am doing on behalf of the Unitarian Universalist Association.”

LINK

Lightkeeper

He did great things. But, his wife was a great force also. She deserves a lot of recognition for her role in his life.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Just shows you how ignorant I am that I didn't know he belonged to UU. (I'd never heard that quote by Abe Lincoln before, either. It's my beliefs, perfectly put.)

Ceridwen018

I didn't know he belonged to UU either--that's awesome. He was a good horseman in his day too--unfortunately, they are what brought about his downfall. From the perspective of the horse wolrd, he was a message in safety to all of us.

Davidium

There was a cartoon I saw today... It showed Superman, holding a copy of today's "Daily Planet" with the headline that Christopher Reeve had passed away.

The caption had Superman saying "That is so sad... he was my hero...."

I dont think I could say it any better. Our fellowship is less than it was three days ago.

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,

David Pyle
Galveston Island, Republic of Texas

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Well, I would suggest for you to start here with our forum on UUs. There are about 6 or 7 UUs on this forum, all of whom will be happy to answer any questions you have.

Davidium

You can also check out the UUA homepage... it has alot of great resources...

www.uua.org

There are also over 1000 UUA churches in the world, and probably one near you. They are always quite welcoming, and are willing to answer questions from those who are just seeking to learn about Unitarian Universalism.

And feel free to PM me with any questions you might have, that you would rather not air on the open forum...

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,

David Pyle

UU Fellowship, Galveston County, Republic of Texas