• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indra/Agni and Vishnu/Shiva

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I came away from this morning's meditation wondering if there is any correlation between the Vedic deities Indra and Agni and the post-Vedic deities Vishnu and Shiva.

What is your take on this?

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
They seem quite different to me, but I've only been awake for about 15 minutes so might be missing something.

Where do you see the similarities?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure that I do, or even if I do, I couldn't put my finger on exactly what they are. I'm certainly no scholar. I was just wondering if there were any qualities or attributes that carried over, especially from Agni to Shiva.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
I came away from this morning's meditation wondering if there is any correlation between the Vedic deities Indra and Agni and the post-Vedic deities Vishnu and Shiva.

What is your take on this?

I don’t remember where I have recently read it, but ‘Surya is the face of Agni in the sky.’ Additionally, Surya is an expansion or manifestation of the post-Vedic Vishnu according to the Bhagavata Purana. That is the only connection that I can think of.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Of course, there is connection between Indra and Agni. They are siblings (Adityas) born to God Mother Aditi.
Vishnu and Shiva also are one, as in Harihara.
But trying to connect Vedic and Post-Vedic is not always successful. :)
Vishnu is one of the Gods and Goddesses mentioned as the destroyer of Vritra, while most others credit Indra for it.

Last edited: