• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Influence of Kemetic belief on the Abrahamic view of God

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
It has been suggested by several Egyptologists that it is very likely that the Judeo-Christian view of God has been influenced by the Egyptian view of Netjer, and certain high ranking creator deities such as Amun, Ra, or Ptah. This thread is to reference Egyptian prayers and sayings that may indeed indicate Judeo-Christian views of God were influenced by the Egyptians.

Prayer #1 Prayer to Amun-Ra

He is Amun-Ra, first to be king
God of Zep Tepi, vizer to the helpless
"He does not accept the prayers of those who do wrong"
He does not speak of what he has not witnessed
and does not regard the man who boasts.
Amun judges the lands with his fingers
And "his words are inside our hearts"
"He judges the wrong-doer" and "sends him to the fire"
He sends those who do right to the afterlife

Hymn to Aten

Hail Aten, daytime sun who forms all living creation
Great Falcon with beautiful plumage
Scarab who created Himself
Who "came into being alone and was not born"

Hymn to Atum

Praise Ra-Atum, "Lord of All"
"Creator of all that is"
Rising in heaven, "light of the world"
The afterlife's people turn their faces to you
rejoicing at your beautiful sight.

Prayer to Ptah

Ptah the Great, South of his Wall, living in Memphis.
Great God of Zep Tepi
Who built men and birthed gods
Primordial One who made humans live
What he spoke in his heart, he brought to life.

The interesting tidbits I underlined and bold faced should show why many Egyptologists get the idea the Abrahamic faiths were influenced by the Egyptians.

Interesting no?

Cypress

Dragon Mom
There is a theory that Moses was of eagypt origin, because there are eagyt names with mose(s) in, for exaple Tut-moses.

Rainbow Mage

There is a theory that Moses was of eagypt origin, because there are eagyt names with mose(s) in, for exaple Tut-moses.

I haven't heard anything about Moses being an Egyptian name in origin. I would love to see the archeology on that :)

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Ahmed Osman claims that Akhenaten's (Amenhotep IV) maternal grandfather, Yuya, was actually the biblical Joseph and explains where the seeds of his monotheistic beliefs came from. Sigmund Freud speculated that Moses was an Atenist priest.

Rainbow Mage

Can he prove that Amenhotep IV had a grandfather named Yuya? I find many of these claims invented or based on poor scholarship.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Do a Google search on Yuya and you will find a lot of documentation on him and his family. So, yeah, it's pretty well accepted that Yuya's daughter was Amenhotep III's wife and mother of Amenhotep IV. Now, whether or not Yuya and the biblical Joseph are one in the same is debatable. The timeline works out pretty close to it being possible. I can see how a monotheistic grandfather could have an influence on a young man during that time and it would explain a few things about why there is no record of Jewish slaves in Egypt. The Egyptians attempted to wipe out all records of Akhenaten and his cult of Aten. If it was based on the Hebrew religion I can see them also attempting to wipe out all records of the Hebrew slaves. Is any of this true? I don't know but it is plausible.

Rainbow Mage

Justin of course you'd want that to be the case, but Egyptian history very well documents what really happened. The Hyksos were hardly slaves. They were foreign tyrants who invaded Kemet and treated it's people like dirt. And as for Akhenaten, his heresy is very well documented if you know how to look properly. His heresy wasn't Monotheism. Atenism wasn't Monotheistic, it was a cult of personality. Akhenaten tried to make himself and his family the representatives of Aten on earth, mediating between Aten and the nation. The people were forced to worship Akhenaten as Shu and his wife Nefertiti as Tefnut. Their children were venerated as Geb and Nut, and after his death, his son Tutenkamen re-established the old religion of his own accord.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Actually, I want nothing more than conversation. I find the archeology and the history fascinating and the gaps we are left to fill in a compelling mystery. I'm not offering my own theory on this but some interesting alternative views that I've come across over the years.

What I tossed out on this was things from memory that I had looked at a few years ago and did a very quick search to make sure I was getting names right. I remember more but not enough to discuss it with you now. I think you are right that in the beginning Akhenaten had accepted a polytheistic view in his religion but with Aten being the cheif God of the gods. It was in the last half of his reign that he moved fully toward monotheism. I'll go check later tonight on that but I"m pretty sure that's what I read.

How accurate is it? Most of history is speculation based on a few known facts so who knows how it truly was?