• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting....think it's coincedential?

Ceridwen018

Why did you think they called him 'Allah'?

Seriously though, this is just like constellations. There's a billion different combinations and pictures--you've just gotta know what you're looking for.

_salam_

We didn't call Him Allah, He called Himself Allah. It is His name, it is not the word for god in arabic. Just ask RearingArabian he will be able to tell you what the word for god is in Arabic.

croak

Trickster
First of all, it's she. :p
Second of all, it actually is Rabb or ÑÈø . The name Allah never existed before Allah Himself said that is His name. Rabb is different in that it can be changed. ex: Your God = Rabbuka, his God = Rabbahu. Allah cannot, however.

Allah: Çááå
Rabb: ÑÈø
See the difference? Also, the name of Allah is written special. To show you, here is Allah without one á :
Çáå
Not written slanting, is it? Also without something on top. You notice? This is because Allah can only refer to the Almighty God. Rabb can also refer to false gods and such.

Trust me on this. I might not be 100% at Arabic, but I know some things.

Can you see the Arabic letters? If you have enabled languages like Chinese, you should be able to. If you have Arabic enabled (this is if you have Windows), right-click, click Encoding, and select Arabic (Windows). If you don't have it, I think Unicode (UTF-8) might work (I think most PCs have Unicode).

croak

Trickster
Yes, Al-Ilah does mean "the God." But nobody used that before Allah said that was His name, did they?

croak

Trickster
Ooooooh, I messed up. It is not pronounced Al-Ilah, it is pronounced Allah. Also, it doesn't have an à in the middle, it has an á. Anyone who knows Arabic knows that. Can't believe I made that mistake. Oh well.

OK ppl !!
ALLAH comes is a form of the word ELAH which is different from God :
Elah means the worshiped ,and like God can be any God Elah can also be any worshiped thing even if it is a rock or a tree like the Kufar in our prophets time for example.....thus the shahada : LA elaha ela Allah means there is non to truely worship but Allah or Allah is the only one truley worthy of worship... which is meaning not many ppl know although it is the most imortant meaning in Islam ...... and so ALLAH if you know arabic means the Elah ( or the one all beings seek to worship )in a way but with a small difference in pronounciation but still means the one worshiped which is an amazing name in fact in how it includes the meaning of shahada in it because there is actually non other worthy of being worshiped and thus non worthy of being called Elah and thus there is only one worshiped and one Elah : ALLAh .

anders

What a mess! Ilah is 'a god', could be any god, but not necessarily "different from God". 'Allah' is al-lah, 'the God'. The 'i' of ilah is just a vowel, not a letter, so it disappears when the definite article is attached. Very simple. And anybody might have said that their god was 'the god'.

croak

Trickster
The i of Ilah is a vowel? No, it's a letter. A vowel is a thing on top that makes you say the word different. And Allah is prounounced different from Al-Lah. Meaning it's a different word.

john313

warrior-poet
salaam

Allah is not the NAME of God. Al means the and ilah means God. Allah is like a contraction in the english language to form The God. In arabic, things that start with al are combined into one word instead of having the the separate. ilah (god) was used as part of the name for some of the pagan Gods in jahiliya, that is why the narrow minded kufar often times say Allah is a pagan moon god(which is of course a complete lie). They don't realize they are insulting the only God-not a good idea. Allah is simply The God, it cannot be made plural and it has no gender. The One God, all that exists.

anders said:
What a mess! Ilah is 'a god', could be any god, but not necessarily "different from God". 'Allah' is al-lah, 'the God'. The 'i' of ilah is just a vowel, not a letter, so it disappears when the definite article is attached. Very simple. And anybody might have said that their god was 'the god'.
Allah is Allahs name and the word elah which means the worshiped comes from the name Allah not the other way around but both are separate words no vowels or anything like that .i think you men "al" which means "the" but that Allah is an intact word there the al in it is not The ... you'd have to speak arabic to understand.
I was explaining the what it means in Arabic , please dont say its a mess just cause you don't understand or don't like it .

croak

Trickster
True, "al" does mean "the", but imagine if it was the same in English. Would album, albatross, and alchemy, to name a few, make sense without the "al"? No. My point: if Allah meant "the God," then it would be pronounced Al-Ilah, not Al-Lah. Plus, the spelling is different. Didn't I already say that?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a reference to a well-known scene in a play where some people are looking at clouds and describing images they see in them. The people see different images even though they're looking at the same cloud.

It illustrates the fact that people can come to very different conclusions about or interpretations of exactly the same data-set.

anders

TamerAhmad said:
Allah is Allahs name and the word elah which means the worshiped comes from the name Allah not the other way around but both are separate words no vowels or anything like that .i think you men "al" which means "the" but that Allah is an intact word there the al in it is not The ... you'd have to speak arabic to understand.
I was explaining the what it means in Arabic , please dont say its a mess just cause you don't understand or don't like it .
I have no likes or dislikes when it comes to etymology. I just want to tell the facts.

The akkadian word 'ilu' meaning god existed some 2500 years BCE. In Ugaritic, 'il' was used for 'a god' as well as for the high god El. Obviously, the word is very much older than any known occurrence of the name "Allah".

I don't think that giving God the name "The God" is a unique thing, but in any case I think it is quite a nice way to stress the uniqueneness of Allah: he is The God.

RA said:
True, "al" does mean "the", but imagine if it was the same in English. Would album, albatross, and alchemy, to name a few, make sense without the "al"? No. My point: if Allah meant "the God," then it would be pronounced Al-Ilah, not Al-Lah. Plus, the spelling is different. Didn't I already say that?
Album does not make sense without the "al", beacuse it is a loan from Latin: 'album' means 'white'. Albatross and alchemy make excellent sense in Arabic without the article, because they are Arabic loans into English. I of course agree with you that al-ilah is different from Allah (which rather should be transcribed as Alllaah, because of the shadda and the "dagger" alif on the second l, don't you think?) in at least the same way as Allah is different from other gods. I am discussing etymology, not religion.

RA said:
The i of Ilah is a vowel? No, it's a letter. A vowel is a thing on top that makes you say the word different. And Allah is prounounced different from Al-Lah. Meaning it's a different word.
The "i" of ilah is a vowel. The alif is only a carrier of the vowel i underneath it; it has no hamza to make it a consonant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah has a nice article on the name. Yes, I consider Allah a name, so we don't disagree on that, but never the less, I have my opinion on how the name emerged. That doesn't mean that I make a comparison between Allah and gods who have acquired their names in other ways.