• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intro - new here

Alicia

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to this board, but have been looking for an active UU board for a while. I asked for a UU board to be added under the religion section at the forum where I usually post, but they said there was not enough interest. :( I like to debate, so I'll prob. check out your debate boards too.

So, I am UU. I was raised unchurched with multiple religions in my family. My grandfather was a Baptist minister, but my mom rebelled from that and started practicing an eastern religion called Sant Mat. Then when I was in college she found the UU's, and as a result, so did I. My dad was raised Jewish, but was basically a secular Jew when I was growing up. My husband was raised Catholic, but doesn't practice or believe anymore. But he's still Catholic enough that it makes him feel guilty to go to a different church, so he doesn't come with me to UU church. He says that when we have kids, he may come so that it can be a family thing. We'll see pretty soon, since we're expecting our first in May!

I'm active in my congregation, which is a pretty large one. I attend services every week, I teach RE (5th and 6th graders), I sing in the choir, I'm on the marriage equality action team... um, that's all I can think of now. Hi everyone!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Alicia!

Welcome to the forum!

We have quite a few U.U's on his forum, so you'll be in good company.

Since this is your introduction thread, I hope you won't mind if I move it to the

Are you new to ReligiousForums.com? forum.

I look forwards to seeing your posts, and please don't hesitate to ask for any help here; there's bound to be someone around who will know the answer.;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Alicia said:
Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to this board, but have been looking for an active UU board for a while. I asked for a UU board to be added under the religion section at the forum where I usually post, but they said there was not enough interest. :( I like to debate, so I'll prob. check out your debate boards too.

So, I am UU. I was raised unchurched with multiple religions in my family. My grandfather was a Baptist minister, but my mom rebelled from that and started practicing an eastern religion called Sant Mat. Then when I was in college she found the UU's, and as a result, so did I. My dad was raised Jewish, but was basically a secular Jew when I was growing up. My husband was raised Catholic, but doesn't practice or believe anymore. But he's still Catholic enough that it makes him feel guilty to go to a different church, so he doesn't come with me to UU church. He says that when we have kids, he may come so that it can be a family thing. We'll see pretty soon, since we're expecting our first in May!

I'm active in my congregation, which is a pretty large one. I attend services every week, I teach RE (5th and 6th graders), I sing in the choir, I'm on the marriage equality action team... um, that's all I can think of now. Hi everyone!
Hi, Alicia! Welcome to the forum! You'll find quite a number of UU's here -- all of them great people, I might add. There are also lots of people from other faiths who, like you, like to debate. It sounds as if you have a really diverse background in terms of religion! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Kathryn

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello and welcome! Always good to have another UU with us. (Your icon is adorable!)

Please feel free to check out our article with links for our newer members.

Namaste!

QTpi

Mischevious One
Hi Alicia. Welcome to Religious Forums. We're happy to have you with us and hope you enjoy your stay. :jiggy:

Alicia

Sorry for posting that in the wrong spot. I guess things are more integrated here than I thought! The forum that I'm used to has a more separate feel for each individual board, so I'm used to introducing myself on each particular board. You guys have a good thing going here! :D

Fatmop

Integration, schmintegration. I stick to the Evo/ID and science vs. religion debates.

Welcome to RF!