• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Introducing the "New Threads" Forum

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, all,

For the last three days, I have been reading about the forum's software, XenForo, in order to try to come up with a solution to the issue of having no "New Threads" list after the software update and to ensure that members who want to view new religious threads and those who want to view new political threads have an equally convenient experience on the forum.

I found an option called "search forums," which allows admins to create a forum specifically displaying only threads or posts that meet admin-defined criteria. I have created a "New Threads" search forum under the Introductions category here:

Currently, it only displays threads created within the last three days in any of the forum's religious sections (including DIRs but excluding private forums), in descending order of most recent starting date. Please let me know how it is functioning for you and whether it needs any changes for a better user experience.

If it works as intended, I will add another "New Threads" forum to only display new political threads. In that way, members who want to view new religious or political threads will be able to filter their choices.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
A "New Threads" and a "New Posts" (similar to the "New Posts" under the main forums button) under each parent forum would be ideal. This way, two sort options would be present.

I don't see the necessity in limiting how many days back it goes, unless you have to enter a parameter there.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A "New Threads" and a "New Posts" (similar to the "New Posts" under the main forums button) under each parent forum would be ideal. This way, two sort options would be present.

I agree. The limitation is that a search forum has processing overhead, so it may not be feasible to add one for each parent forum. I could be wrong, but I have no way to find out without adding more search forums (which could risk causing server issues given my lack of information about this).

I don't see the necessity in limiting how many days back it goes, unless you have to enter a parameter there.

That is also due to performance and overhead considerations, from what I understand. I could try extending it to a week and seeing how it performs, though.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
This is excellent. My first reaction was "Why don't I see all these threads on the "new posts" screen?" I looked bit closer and found some several pages down, so I presume they are getting "submerged" under the existing threads that are still active.

Good job, anyway. :D

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
@Alien826
Screenshot_2024-06-19-11-52-30~2.png

This is on my phone might be different on computer

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Hi, all,

For the last three days, I have been reading about the forum's software, XenForo, in order to try to come up with a solution to the issue of having no "New Threads" list after the software update and to ensure that members who want to view new religious threads and those who want to view new political threads have an equally convenient experience on the forum.

I found an option called "search forums," which allows admins to create a forum specifically displaying only threads or posts that meet admin-defined criteria. I have created a "New Threads" search forum under the Introductions category here:

Currently, it only displays threads created within the last three days in any of the forum's religious sections (including DIRs but excluding private forums), in descending order of most recent starting date. Please let me know how it is functioning for you and whether it needs any changes for a better user experience.

If it works as intended, I will add another "New Threads" forum to only display new political threads. In that way, members who want to view new religious or political threads will be able to filter their choices.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Thank you for the time and effort you put into reading and making this. I'm sure it will come in handy a lot. Especially with the religion/politics division.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have set up two more "New Threads" search forums: one for political topics and one for general and miscellaneous topics: