• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraq: three state solution

Flappycat

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1908748

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the proposition for dividing Iraq into three relatively autonomous regions with their capital in Baghdad is now up for discussion in the Iraqi government. This doesn't seem illogical to me because I think that part of what holds the US together is that they are left to govern themselves with relative autonomy. I'm curious as to what others on the forum think of it, though.

kai

ragamuffin
i think it could work! but... things must be sorted out before the sectarianism makes a chasm between the sunni and shia

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Before thinking about such an idea, it would be good to look at India vs Pakistan and India vs Bangladesh.

Pakistan and Bangladesh being formed from sections of India, but there only seems to be problems between India and Pakistan.

Flappycat

It's intended as a strategy for preserving unity, though, Pardus. I think it's to work like the US, with self-sufficient governments in each state. I'd have to know more to be certain, but it sounds workable.

Ody

It would be hard to create a Kurdish nation with the current views of Turkey and Iran.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Well what do you know, the Democrats have a plan. An etchy plan, but none worse than the current one. :)

Flappycat said:
It's intended as a strategy for preserving unity, though, Pardus. I think it's to work like the US, with self-sufficient governments in each state. I'd have to know more to be certain, but it sounds workable.
I agree. The problem with out current leadership is that it thinks what's good for America is good for Iraq. Sunnis have reason to be worried about only holding 20% (?) power in the government. I think it would be a better solution to keep the country united than three nations, yet separate it into three regions. Having each of these regions represented by equal number of representatives sounds fair. I also like the idea of having a nuetral Muslim force coming in. With history still burning in the minds of Iraqis though, I wouldn't include Iranian troops.

kai

ragamuffin
I dont think you will get any help from arab countries they would sooner it all went up in flames,Irans help would not be supported by sunnis either, it may be too late to avoid civil war theres a heck of a lot of outside influence with the insurgents the hurt is getting worse with sectarian murders and blowing up mosques etc
i believe arab help would quiet things down but i fear its too late