• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a Virus alive?

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I got into this debate again the other day and it fascinates me..... as does the lowly virus. So, I'll ask here:

Is a virus alive?

I've agrued both sides, and I don't really know how I feel about it. Thought I'd get some more opinions since I find it interesting.

I still don't know what to think of a virus, but they do intriuge me.

Master Vigil

My Opinion:

Anything with energy, and reproduces in some way shape or form; is alive. Thus, the virus is alive.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
In my opinion, no. Not any more than a prion is alive.

I biological construct yes, but it falls more than a little short of being classified as a living organism for me.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

I biological construct yes, but it falls more than a little short of being classified as a living organism for me.

Which criteria for "life" are dispositive in your opinion, Hal?

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger

I take it you don't mean the family of birds called Prion..... I think many think they are alive! I take it you mean the infections agents of proteins....

Yet, are not all "living organisms" made up of genetic material? Does a virus not fit that bill, more so than a protien?

Anything with energy, and reproduces in some way shape or form; is alive. Thus, the virus is alive.

By that means, is light alive?

Also: many would say a virus has no energy itself, it uses the energy of the cells it lands in.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
doppelgänger;947004 said:
Which criteria for "life" are dispositive in your opinion, Hal?
I adhere to the "classic" definition of a life form, something similar to this from wikipedia;
Conventional definition: Often scientists say that life is a characteristic of organisms that exhibit the following phenomena:
  1. Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, sweating to reduce temperature.
  2. Organization: Being composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
  3. Metabolism: Consumption of energy by converting nonliving material into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
  4. Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of synthesis than catalysis. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter. The particular species begins to multiply and expand as the evolution continues to flourish.
  5. Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.
  6. Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism when touched to complex reactions involving all the senses of higher animals. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun or an animal chasing its prey.
  7. Reproduction: The ability to produce new organisms. Reproduction can be the division of one cell to form two new cells. Usually the term is applied to the production of a new individual (either asexually, from a single parent organism, or sexually, from at least two differing parent organisms), although strictly speaking it also describes the production of new cells in the process of growth.
However, i would be willing to extend my own personal definition of a life form to robotic or alien life of as yet unknown construct - which would require their own defined characteristics.
For biological Earthly life though, i stick to the above requirements of which a virus only fulfills numbers 2, 5 and 7, with #1 being partially fulfilled.

Comet said:
I take it you don't mean the family of birds called Prion..... I think many think they are alive! I take it you mean the infections agents of proteins....
Lol, yes prions the infectious mutant membrane proteins, BSE, CJD, scrapie etc.

Comet said:
Yet, are not all "living organisms" made up of genetic material? Does a virus not fit that bill, more so than a protien?
More so than a protein, but it has no metabolism, no real control over its partial internal environment, no growth - a virus being "born" in its final state, and no (AFAIA) response to external stimuli whatsoever.

If we classified Sonny from I-Robot as a life form, then a virus would be the equivalent of a software virus or a programmable nanite.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I recently learned in Microbiology class that a virus has no organelles, it's just a sack of DNA or RNA. It has to live within another cell in order to function. It uses the cell's organelles, then reproduces until the cell bursts.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
For biological Earthly life though, i stick to the above requirements of which a virus only fulfills numbers 2, 5 and 7, with #1 being partially fulfilled.
It doesn't quite fulfill #7 either, does it? It's been a while, but as I recall, viruses don't reproduce, but inject mRNA into a host cell to alter the reproductive machinery of the host so that it creates viruses.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Light doesn't reproduce

A whole new topic! :)

However, i would be willing to extend my own personal definition of a life form to robotic or alien life of as yet unknown construct - which would require their own defined characteristics.
For biological Earthly life though, i stick to the above requirements of which a virus only fulfills numbers 2, 5 and 7, with #1 being partially fulfilled

Does a virus not meet # 6? It does respond once in a cell.... it moves its dna/rna to the cell to be reproduced.

Does a virus not eventually fall into #4? It does evolve and grow, just like bacteria etc...

Does a virus not have one up on a human to #1? It remains in a constant state despite not needing to sweat, etc....

I'd have to think about #2 for a while, but very good point I can use in further arguements about this.... since I don't know where I stand.....

UnTheist

doppelgänger;947058 said:
It doesn't quite fulfill #7 either, does it? It's been a while, but as I recall, viruses don't reproduce, but inject mRNA into a host cell to alter the reproductive machinery of the host so that it creates viruses.
I believe that's a form of reproduction...

"Reproduction is the biological process by which new individual organisms are produced."

New individual viruses are produced (is it accurate when it says "...organisms..." ?)

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I recently learned in Microbiology class that a virus has no organelles, it's just a sack of DNA or RNA. It has to live within another cell in order to function. It uses the cell's organelles, then reproduces until the cell bursts.

They do reproduce and evolve. Is not all "life" made up of DNA/RNA... just like a virus?

A virus without a host cell can do nothing.

and a human by itself can do nothing either...... never reproduce.

A virus can survive longer than a human, as it needs nothing to survive like a human, but it needs something else to reproduce and evolve as a human does....

So what do we classify a virus as?