• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is art a better proof of God?

DayRaven

Beyond the wall
The evidence for a religious impulse seems to date to the same period that we have our first archaeological evidence for art and music. According to some this was a sudden eruption some 50,000yrs ago according to others a gradual emergence. In either case they seem to be linked.

What is this connection between art and the urge for something "supernatural"?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Art as proof of a deity?
You might be onto something!
Flying-Spaghetti-Monster-God-Sistine-Chapel-Funny.png

But I think it shows proof of the common impulse to believe, rather than the truth of the belief.

idea

Question Everything
The evidence for a religious impulse seems to date to the same period that we have our first archaeological evidence for art and music. According to some this was a sudden eruption some 50,000yrs ago according to others a gradual emergence. In either case they seem to be linked.

Not just art, but written language. Art allows us to express thoughts/feelings/impressions - pieces of the non-materialistic world. I definitely think spirituality can be linked to art.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
There is no connection between art and a deity, unless, of course, you are illustrating that/something to do with deity.

Not just art, but written language. Art allows us to express thoughts/feelings/impressions - pieces of the non-materialistic world. I definitely think spirituality can be linked to art.

And what? I see no link here?
Sure it can bring out the non-materialistic, but it does so in a materialistic, purposeless way.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

I couldn't say, without seeing evidence.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Peace be on you.

The faculty of true art in human is granted by Allah Who has all the noble attributes. One of them is Al-Musawar [The Fashioner].

Holy Quran [59:25] He is Allah, the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner. His are the most beautiful names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorifies Him, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.

But one can only draw physical things. If one try to draw things beyond 3 dimensions, one cannot.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Not proof or evidence.

Rather, art can sometimes be a form of deification. That is to say, some Gods are born from art. Then those or other Gods inspire more art, creating an almost chicken/egg scenario.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Let's review the premise.
Thousands of years ago humans developed the intellectual capacity to imagine things. They learned how to make stuff that is not real tangible. They started creating music, religion, art and stories.
That is not proof of God. Quite the contrary, it is strong evidence that God is an imaginary character.

Tom

mahasn ebn sawresho

Art isprovingto thehuman capacity forcreativity
And the ability to form sensations pokers are expressed
This art is proof of the ability of human
This ability and cannot understand them
But if we know that there is another Creator God
Human made objects and it is God who made
This does not conflict with religion
Christian art and also Judaism does not object
But Islam is opposed to art and fights
And I mean all the arts
Thisis what I understandabout art
Drawing and singing
Daoudwasechoinghis pipes
With the sounds ofmusicalinstruments
Christianher songson the musicreverb
But Islam rejects all this
Just believe in the Quran
Likethe Parrot
Blastedwithoutunderstandingwhat it is

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I do think that art and religion are very intertwined and would place them in much the category of human experience. Both are expressions of the yearning for meaning, beauty, purpose, self-expression, creativity and hope. They stem from the subconscious and abstract aspects of humanity, the so-called "right brain" faculties where the capacity for numinous experience blooms forth. Of course, art can be made ugly, too, just like religion, but I think that's symptomatic of inner/outer decay and failure.

mahasn ebn sawresho

How to transfercalltothis function is art
And the human creator is free to this especially if the speech writing
Example-
Danishpaintermanfreevirtuoso
Transferthe words of the Qur'antolive pictures
Therefore Muslims objected because they are afraid of art
For example,I am married tofour womenpresumably
If an artist draw advantages and four women
Is thisall
It'sart
This was his 13th wife
If you draw a person with thirteen moons women's
Is thisall
That art and the freedom of art
And human freedom
Ifthe paintinghowChristis thisall
Thisfreedom of
Anddo not conflictwithreligion

DayRaven

Beyond the wall
Thousands of years ago humans developed the intellectual capacity to imagine things.

Why would this occur? Evolution is not random: there would have to be selective benefits. What do you believe they are?

I couldn't say, without seeing evidence.

What I stated is, to the best of my knowledge, accepted by archaeologists: cognitively modern behaviour does not appear in the archaeological record until c.50,000yrs ago as opposed to anatomically modern humans c.200,000yrs ago.

I do think that art and religion are very intertwined and would place them in much the category of human experience.

I agree, they do seem to be inner motivations. Perhaps more existential in nature?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

At that time I think the brain developed the ability to create internally a virtual reality. Where we could create the existence of any reality we could imagine. And probably we were not so great at always being able to know the difference.

We could imagine a tree or animal and paint what we imagined on a wall. Whereas it only vaguely looked like a tree or animal our brain in it's virtually created world would fill in any necessary gaps to identify the image correctly.

So whatever forces behind nature we learned to creatively fill in the gaps. What the brain was and I suspect still isn't is understanding the virtual reality we imagine and physical reality are not the same.