• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is baptism essential to salvation??

rusra02

Premium Member
In Christian Doctrine, Is baptism essential to salvation??

For those old enough to understand it's significance, Christian baptism is necessary for salvation. Baptizing infants is not authorized in the Bible and has no value.
Jesus commanded that his disciples be baptized. (Matthew 28:19,20)
1 Peter 3:21 speaks of baptism as saving us. Once baptized, a person must continue in a course of faithfulness to God. "present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason." (Romans 12:1)

Villager

Baptism in the Holy Spirit, or conversion, is essential. Conversion comes from accepting that only Christ's righteousness is enough to justify a person before God, and by accepting that righteousness as one's own, after repentance. To rely on anything else as a means of satisfying God is to tell Jesus that his righteousness is not enough— which is to destroy one's salvation.

Water baptism was originally the means used to witness to one's faith in public. It is now considered useless, because all and sundry get baptised without conversion. Continued witness to one's faith is anyway necessary, though is more difficult than water baptism.

A. T. Henderson

R&P refugee

Depends on which doctrine the Christian in question follows. Strictly speaking, there's no reason why it should be. It is, after all, only a symbolic ritual: the supposed "cleansing" which it represents occurs internally (as in: within the mind/spirit of the believer).

bjpascoal

Was baptism common before John? Did he start it or just popularize it? I've always wondered that because I don't remember baptism being talked about in the OT

A

angellous_evangellous

Was baptism common before John? Did he start it or just popularize it? I've always wondered that because I don't remember baptism being talked about in the OT

Baptism was popular before John.

Villager

It wasn't. It developed in the intertestamental period. John used it for his particular purpose, which was to get people to at least admit that they were light years from the ethos of the patriarchal and Mosaic periods. It has no inherent 'magic' quality, as was made out from about the fourth century onwards.

Last edited:

bjpascoal

It developed in the intertestamental period.

I was wondering if something was missing because Jesus is always quoting from the OT. And when he tells John he has to be baptized to complete all things I was wondering where in the OT it talks about the Messiah needing to be baptized. Or that anyone needs to or why Jesus was inclined to do it.