• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Boy George Hare Krishna or Buddhist ?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I saw a video from an ex-Hare Krishna who states that some celebrities have a "Hare Krishna phase" and George's seems to have been in the mid 1980's. "Bow down Mister" was released in 1991 and was probably the best advertisement they could have had since George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord." Several sources, however, say that the Krishnas allegedly didn't want him as a member because he was gay.

Boy George being a Buddhist was new to me. Where did you get that from? The only Buddhist celebrities who are known to me are Richard Gere (Tibetan Buddhism) and Tina Turner who chants "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo". (I hope they're still alive. You can't take this for granted these days. :eek: )

ronki23

I saw a video from an ex-Hare Krishna who states that some celebrities have a "Hare Krishna phase" and George's seems to have been in the mid 1980's. "Bow down Mister" was released in 1991 and was probably the best advertisement they could have had since George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord." Several sources, however, say that the Krishnas allegedly didn't want him as a member because he was gay.

Boy George being a Buddhist was new to me. Where did you get that from? The only Buddhist celebrities who are known to me are Richard Gere (Tibetan Buddhism) and Tina Turner who chants "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo". (I hope they're still alive. You can't take this for granted these days. :eek: )

I'm not keen on the Hare Krishna movement because of their various scandals: demonising George's homosexuality is hypocrisy to say in the least.

Boy George is a vegetarian and a tee-totaler: I think he's a Buddhist from the last time I saw him

The beard really suits him! Happy to hear he got his life together

Last edited:

ronki23

Someone posted on here earlier today before the site server went down. Boy George was at Bhaktivedanta Manor last year

Cheesey. Culture Club isn't just Boy George

ajay0

Boy George seems to be practicing Buddhism at the moment , Nichiren Buddhism, and he has credited its chanting practice for enabling him to keep off intoxicants.

ronki23

I do not think that can be done. It is this or the other.

Yesterday you said that Buddhists don't bother with God while annexation of Buddha is a Hindu thing.

[There seems to be something wrong with Religious Forums as its deleting previous quotes and replies from yesterday]

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yesterday you said that Buddhists don't bother with God while annexation of Buddha is a Hindu thing.
[There seems to be something wrong with Religious Forums as its deleting previous quotes and replies from yesterday]
Where do you see problem in what I said? At one time Buddhism was a sect of Hinduism (Buddha Mat - Buddha's opinion). Now it is a separate religion. Buddha did not bother about God, just as I too do not bother about God (though I am a Hindu following Advaita). Many Hindus took up Buddha as an avatara of Vishnu. Srila Jayadeva Gosvami in his Dasavatara-stotra said:

"nindasi yajña-vidher, ahaha śruti-jātaṁ,

sadaya-hṛdaya-darśita-paśu-ghātam,
keśava dhṛta-buddha-śarīra,
jaya jagad-īśa hare.
'
(You reproach Vedas when you see them advocating animal sacrifice. You are kind hearted. It is you, Keshava (Lord Krishna), who took the form of Lord Buddha. Hail Hari, the Lord of the the universe).

So, different people believe differently.