• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it right?

kadzbiz

Inspired by another thread, it is right to hide or omit something about yourself so as to gain something in return that would not have eventuated if the hidden or omitted was known? Like, let's say I ran for election and accepted the votes of blacks, but in actual fact I was a racist? Isn't it really just like stealing? How is it any different to renting a room for the night by making the owner think you're going to pay and then just doing a runner in the morning? In law (here in my state), it's called "gaining financial advantage by deception" and punishable by five years or more imprisonment. Comments anyone?

kadzbiz

Hmm, I see this was a really worthwhile thread..........has anybody noticed the new frubal icon yet that I instigated?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think it is perfectly fine depending on the circumstances... For example, some people deserve to be decieved, and others do not.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
For example, the guy whose father might stop paying for his college just because his son is gay... That is stupid.

Or... if you are doing your FAFSA, and you will have to pay more for your college since you have saved all of your tiny little KFC wages in the bank, you take your money out of the bank, and lie and say you don't have as much, so the rich government will help me pay for my college with a grant instead of forcing me to pay for it all by myself... Furthermore, they consider the income of both of my parents when deciding how much I will have to pay on my own, even though my parents are not contributing at all to the payment of my education.

I think that is perfectly okay, because the government and colleges have more than enough money, and I don't.

kadzbiz

For example, the guy whose father might stop paying for his college just because his son is gay... That is stupid.

Or... if you are doing your FAFSA, and you will have to pay more for your college since you have saved all of your tiny little KFC wages in the bank, you take your money out of the bank, and lie and say you don't have as much, so the rich government will help me pay for my college with a grant instead of forcing me to pay for it all by myself... Furthermore, they consider the income of both of my parents when deciding how much I will have to pay on my own, even though my parents are not contributing at all to the payment of my education.

I think that is perfectly okay, because the government and colleges have more than enough money, and I don't.

I agree that situations can be very difficult for some people and I'll be the first to admit my life wasn't easy (and still isn't), but I don't steal from others just because they are better off than me. Granted, the father of the gay guy may be being stupid about it, but that's his problem. If he wants to risk losing his son because he can't stand gays, so be it, but it doesn't mean that people should be free to take advantage of him.

You have a brain, intelligence, the ability to make something of yourself without reducing yourself to the actions of those that have no pride in themselves. Where does one draw the line? Even murderers justify their killing.

I hear your pain, I really do, but you always have to ask yourself if you're really setting a good example.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I am not concerned about setting a good example... My values are different than yours, apparently... If someone deserves to get screwed over, I'd say go for it. If you don't screw them over, they'll screw you over instead.

kadzbiz

I am not concerned about setting a good example... My values are different than yours, apparently... If someone deserves to get screwed over, I'd say go for it. If you don't screw them over, they'll screw you over instead.

Wow! You sure are right; our values are very different.

So you're not concerned about setting a good example - pray tell, what do you plan to do with your college education?

And it seems that you believe in "do unto others before they do unto you" hey? It must be awful to live such a paranoid life.

Isn't is written somewhere in American culture - "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"? If everyone has the "I've got to get everything I can before I die" mentality, them we are all doomed for sure.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Wow! You sure are right; our values are very different.

So you're not concerned about setting a good example - pray tell, what do you plan to do with your college education?

And it seems that you believe in "do unto others before they do unto you" hey? It must be awful to live such a paranoid life.

Isn't is written somewhere in American culture - "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"? If everyone has the "I've got to get everything I can before I die" mentality, them we are all doomed for sure.

Hmmm... With my college education, I am going to earn enough money to do the things I want to do... and I don't screw everyone over... Only people who deserve it... Anything you say will not change that... I don't like people who are mean to me, and I see no reason not to take their money if given the chance.

Inky

In Ireland during the potato famine, Protestant churches would set up soup kitchens where you only got to eat if you professed to be Protestant. I'm sure many Irish lied to get food, and I'm in full support of them. If someone is going to withhold something you need for an arbitrary or silly reason, I think in many cases lying is the best thing to do.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
In Ireland during the potato famine, Protestant churches would set up soup kitchens where you only got to eat if you professed to be Protestant. I'm sure many Irish lied to get food, and I'm in full support of them. If someone is going to withhold something you need for an arbitrary or silly reason, I think in many cases lying is the best thing to do.

Agreed...

I would get more money in grants for college if I spent all of my money from my crappy minimum wage job on marijuana than if I saved it... and that just doesn't seem right, does it??

kadzbiz

Hmmm... With my college education, I am going to earn enough money to do the things I want to do... and I don't screw everyone over... Only people who deserve it... Anything you say will not change that... I don't like people who are mean to me, and I see no reason not to take their money if given the chance.

What worries me is that you might decide people are being mean to you just because they are not conforming to your way of thinking.....

In many cases? I doubt that very much.

Agreed...I would get more money in grants for college if I spent all of my money from my crappy minimum wage job on marijuana than if I saved it... and that just doesn't seem right, does it??

Yeah, marijuana can only improve things in your life. :rolleyes:

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Why is it important to you how I feel about you? And no, I don't. You are young. I envy that.

It doesn't matter how you feel about me, I suppose...

I am going to go do something else. Sometimes this site makes me feel bad, and I am trying to not be depressed as much. So I'll talk to you about this later maybe. If you feel it needs further discussion, that is.

kadzbiz

It doesn't matter how you feel about me, I suppose...I am going to go do something else. Sometimes this site makes me feel bad, and I am trying to not be depressed as much. So I'll talk to you about this later maybe. If you feel it needs further discussion, that is.

Hmm, this is my 2000th post. I'd like it to be very profound and memorable, particularly to you whereismynotecard as I'm replying to your post.

Let's see now. This site shouldn't make you feel bad. If you allow it, then it will. These words herein are only words. How you absorb them is up to you. Whether I feel that this needs further discussion should have no bearing on whether you post anymore in this thread or not. Do so if you choose. Just do what you believe is right, is righteous, and not what you feel others want you to do. I can tell you have an active brain. You write a lot and your hands are connected to your tongue. I bet it wiggles in and out, and round and round when you write. Active brain. You're intelligent. You just need to focus your intelligence the right way. Don't set hurdles before it by toking and putting emotions to everything. Smile. You look so wicked when you smile. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Inspired by another thread, it is right to hide or omit something about yourself so as to gain something in return that would not have eventuated if the hidden or omitted was known? Like, let's say I ran for election and accepted the votes of blacks, but in actual fact I was a racist? Isn't it really just like stealing? How is it any different to renting a room for the night by making the owner think you're going to pay and then just doing a runner in the morning? In law (here in my state), it's called "gaining financial advantage by deception" and punishable by five years or more imprisonment. Comments anyone?
As far as I'm concerned, you don't have anything if you don't have your integrity. Intentionally deceiving someone is the mark of a hypocrit and I can't think of very many situations in which I would say it's justified. I'm sure there probably are some, but they are few and far between.