• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it sexist...?

Me Myself

Back to my username
No it's just a pile of nit picking...what next? Clothes? Shoes? Eyewear? Hygiene Products?

Well, a lt of men buy a lot of those products even if they are branded as for women so I wouldnt say it is generally sexism then, although it could be said the brands are being sexist when they brand their products as for *insert gender* . I wouldnt think this sexism is bad though.

Of course, in work places where men and women are required specific uniforms that change depending on their sex that would be sexism too (again, I wouldnt necesarily be saying this sexism is inherently wrong.)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Wow, didn't think making a simple little statement would cause such a stir.

I didn't mean to instigate anything by suggesting that 'useful sexism' apparently existed based on the safety argument. But I feel without the emotions and feelings around the word, in dry fact, bathrooms are sexist, for better or worse.

How many line ups have ladies stood at while men effortlessly whisk in and out of the water closet before you have taken two steps forward? My Wife has always just went in to the male side, and felt no harm was coming to her, and for privacy's sake there is a door. Sometimes its just one person at a time... Even better.

What happens when some one is tying up the single stall men's bathroom or if a multi-stall is closed for cleaning?

I use the ladies wash room and put the seat up and down like a decent person.
I stand there and wash my hands when I am done, and nothing in all of my 31 years has I'll reaction ever befell me.

I've seen some surprised people, sure, but never have been run off.

If anything, in my or my wife's case it's brought the standard up in the bathroom.

But again... Sorry... The simple labelling itself and societal attitudes as to who should be in each one is sexism.

When I shop for ladies pants, cause they fit me better, and someone huffs at me for shopping in the ladies section.... What is that?

I use the men's fitting room.... I generally respect the norms of society.

Thank God we can all use the same drinking fountain.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Very interesting article indeed

I feel like highlighting the last paragraph:

Practicing a non-sexist work environment means treating people equally regardless of gender. Ultimately, Sari realized that much of her attitude towards male editors was an outcome of her own struggle to succeed—something she always assumed was harder because she was a woman. Likely she wasn’t wrong, but the answer isn’t to pay the sexism forward. “I maybe had a bit of a chip on my shoulder,” she said later. “I had to prove myself coming up as an editor, and now that I was in charge, I wanted men to know what that was like.” Given that so much sexism is benevolent, or unintentional, ending the cycle means paying attention, and recognizing that sexism is sexism and, in any form, is damaging to the idea of gender equity. It’s also about recognizing that the best workplaces are built on the ideals of hard work, talent, and dedication—three qualities that know no gender.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Not sexist, just human.

My definition of sexual harassment: When the wrong person makes a sexual advance.

Legally, sexual harassment must be a repeated unwanted advance. In other words, the other party must first explicitly demand an end to the advances before it is technically sexual harassment.