• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it sexist...?

Me Myself

Back to my username
A woman calls a man she looks in the street "Hey sexy!" and asks him to wave at her.

Is she being sexist? Should the man feel offended?

Wirey

Fartist
A woman calls a man she looks in the street "Hey sexy!" and asks him to wave at her.

I, personally, would wreck her. But that's just a side effect of oversized genetalia.

Ladies, how you doin'?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Sexist? I would assume she was being sarcastic. Women never think men are sexy. As to whether the man should feel offended or not - it depends on how much he cares about the remarks some ****** tart yells at him.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Sexist? I would assume she was being sarcastic. Women never think men are sexy. As to whether the man should feel offended or not - it depends on how much he cares about the remarks some ****** tart yells at him.

Most of the times you'd be right on that I assume on the sarcastic note.

Agree about being offended depending on how much you care.

But do you believe it would have anything to do with sexism if this was said in a non sarcastic fashion?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Most of the times you'd be right on that I assume on the sarcastic note.

Agree about being offended depending on how much you care.

But do you believe it would have anything to do with sexism if this was said in a non sarcastic fashion?

Not generally. I doubt most women would mean it disrespectfully (if they weren't being sarcastic) and I doubt most men would mind the compliment.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Harassment or objectification or both. But I subscribe to the sociological definition sexism that includes "power" as an aspect of the interaction, so no.

Were this to be an occurrence that men faced daily and made them feel unsafe in society then I'd say the balance of power would have shifted and I'd call it sexism.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I'm of the opinion that sexism is greatly determined by motivation.

In example, if a woman calls out to a man because she's genuinely interested and this is her way of expressing her interest, affection or overall satisfication without the intent of harassing, upsetting or making him feel uncomfortable - then no - such a gesture in my opinion, would not be sexist.

The woman could not, however, control how the man perceives her gesture. He could find her advance completely unwanted, offensive or out of line. Or to the contrary, he could reciprocate or a myriad of reactions.

We can't control the perceptions of others nor do we have the right to dictate how others SHOULD feel.

Wherenextcolumbus

Harassment or objectification or both. But I subscribe to the sociological definition sexism that includes "power" as an aspect of the interaction, so no.

Were this to be an occurrence that men faced daily and made them feel unsafe in society then I'd say the balance of power would have shifted and I'd call it sexism.

This, this right here. Yes someone gets it!

Galen.Iksnudnard

I don't see it as sexist, necessarily. Awkward and maybe even rude, but probably not sexist.

I think a lot of men would probably welcome the attention anyhow.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

If it is sexist for a man to do it to a woman...

It is up to the man whether he genuinely feels offended or not.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm of the opinion that sexism is greatly determined by motivation.

In example, if a woman calls out to a man because she's genuinely interested and this is her way of expressing her interest, affection or overall satisfication without the intent of harassing, upsetting or making him feel uncomfortable - then no - such a gesture in my opinion, would not be sexist.

The woman could not, however, control how the man perceives her gesture. He could find her advance completely unwanted, offensive or out of line. Or to the contrary, he could reciprocate or a myriad of reactions.

We can't control the perceptions of others nor do we have the right to dictate how others SHOULD feel.

Oh absolutely, we cant. If someone decides to feel offended by me eating a salad, they have every right to do so.

People find the weirdest reasons to feel offended though, and many times they would themselves benefit greatly from some healthy de-attachment.

Generally, feeling offended by something that wasnt done with the intention of offending, is just a waste of carbohydrates. (orof whatever the "offended" chemicals are made of)