• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Our Nation too dependent on prescriptions?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Does our nation (US) depend to much on prescription and pills for all their woes and ills?

Do you think it is okay to take pills for everthing?

For our children do you think they have been given to much prescrtiptions?

Is our country at the point that "every time we get ill we pop a pill"?

And just for fun this is what sparked my questions. (Probably not work-safe)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I would be dead without medications.

Sure they are overused by some people- but many people do need them.

Bishka

Veteran Member
jamaesi said:
I would be dead without medications.

Sure they are overused by some people- but many people do need them.

I'm not saying that people don't need them (I understand, my mother and father would be dead without them), what I'm trying to discuss is how ridiculously over-medicated this country is.

:hug: I'm sorry you have to take medications, I know how much they stink! :hug:

evearael

In general, people take way too many otc and prescription drugs. They can save and dramatically improve lives for the ones who need them, so I wouldn't want to ban them.

I try to avoid medications unless they are necessary. I changed my lifestyle during my last pregnancy to avoid taking a class c prescription drug for my heart. Actually, I also had to change my lifestyle to avoid a different prescription heart med when I was eighteen. I get a lot of headaches, so I do my best to remove triggers before resorting to otc's. Instead of muscle relaxers and physical therapy, I just go to the chiropractor.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
The number of Americans on pharmaceuticals for non-life threatening ailments; Social Anxiety Disorder (also known as shyness), ADD, ADHD, Adult ADD, ED and the afore mentioned Restless Leg Syndrome (to name a few) is at an all time high ;) and I can't legally smoke a little pot.

OH THE HYPOCRISY!!!

Ryan2065

The number of Americans on pharmaceuticals for non-life threatening ailments; Social Anxiety Disorder (also known as shyness), ADD, ADHD, Adult ADD, ED and the afore mentioned Restless Leg Syndrome (to name a few) is at an all time high ;) and I can't legally smoke a little pot.

OH THE HYPOCRISY!!!
Slight difference =p

If you wanted pot for medical reasons then this argument would hold... But come on...

Every day I take 4 perscription pills and im only 22! Wooo, way to go. And I'll probably be on another one soon... I blame my mothers genes.

Ozzie

beckysoup61 said:
Does our nation (US) depend to much on prescription and pills for all their woes and ills?

Do you think it is okay to take pills for everthing?

For our children do you think they have been given to much prescrtiptions?

Is our country at the point that "every time we get ill we pop a pill"?

And just for fun this is what sparked my questions. (Probably not work-safe)
You could rephrase the question "is our nation too dependent on drug companies"? I live in Australia not the US but the problem and culture is the same here. I would answer yes. Not enough people are aware of the power to help themselves through psychological therapies rather than popping a pill. Other illnesses like depression in some cases respond just as well to regular moderate physical exercise as to anti-depressant therapy. The former costs dollar amounts set by drug companies, the latter is free (apart from using up your time).

Bishka

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:

OH THE HYPOCRISY!!!

You've obiously never seen how pharmeaceuticals can help people with those disorders. It doesn't matter if it's life-threatening or not, what you are suggesting is ridiculous.

If it helps the person, then if they want to take, let them.

Do you realize how bothersome and sometimes life-altering these disorders can be? It can change you from a Social person to a hermit wanting nobody and nothing. Unless you've experienced it and understood the helpfullness that it provides, please don't talk about how it's not necesary.