• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Pat Robertson Really a Christian?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Over 120,000 children waiting for adoption in America. Hundreds of thousands more children worldwide waiting for adoption, and Pat Robertson's "Christian" advice;

During Thursday’s edition of The 700 Club co-host Kristi Watts read a letter from a woman who wanted to know why men stopped dating her when they learned that she had adopted three daughters from three different countries.
“Can I answer?” Watts asked. “I was going to say because they’re dogs. … That’s just wrong on every level.”
“No, it’s not wrong,” Robertson disagreed. “A man doesn’t want to take on the United Nations, and this woman’s got all these various children and blended family. What is it?”
The TV preacher then told a story about his “dear friend” who had adopted a son with brain damage and the boy “grew up weird.”
“You just never know what’s been done to a child before you get that child,” he explained. “What kind of sexual abuse, what kind of cruelty, what kind of food deprivation, etc., etc., etc.”
“So, you’re not a dog because you don’t want to take on that responsibility,” Robertson added. “You don’t have to take on somebody else’s problems.”

Pat Robertson: Don’t adopt sexually abused children that could grow up ‘weird’ | The Raw Story

[youtube]HhyJpLIpRVA[/youtube]
Pat Robertson's Advice: Don't Adopt Children - YouTube

In my opinion, this man is not what he claims to be. No one following the teaching of Jesus would give this advice.

What say you?

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm no expert on the various types of Christians, but this type isn't all the extraordinary. I've seen way too many Christians who happily exemplify this kind of selfishness. "Not me. Let the other guy do it."

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
You would first have to define what is a "true Christian". To some Christians, Robertson is little more than an attention junkie. To others, he's one of God's specially chosen leaders. So, is he what he claims to be? Who knows, it all depends on how you define terms.

The Neo Nerd

The guy is a hate filled *** hole in a religion that purports to preach love and empathy.

I would step over his body if I saw him passed out on the sidewalk.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I can't believe he'd say something like that!! I gave birth to my own children and two of them are special needs. If I could afford it, I'd adopt all sorts of children that no one else wants!

I am not going to judge anyone but I will say one thing: Actions speak louder than words.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Over 120,000 children waiting for adoption in America. Hundreds of thousands more children worldwide waiting for adoption, and Pat Robertson's "Christian" advice;

During Thursday’s edition of The 700 Club co-host Kristi Watts read a letter from a woman who wanted to know why men stopped dating her when they learned that she had adopted three daughters from three different countries.
“Can I answer?” Watts asked. “I was going to say because they’re dogs. … That’s just wrong on every level.”
“No, it’s not wrong,” Robertson disagreed. “A man doesn’t want to take on the United Nations, and this woman’s got all these various children and blended family. What is it?”
The TV preacher then told a story about his “dear friend” who had adopted a son with brain damage and the boy “grew up weird.”
“You just never know what’s been done to a child before you get that child,” he explained. “What kind of sexual abuse, what kind of cruelty, what kind of food deprivation, etc., etc., etc.”
“So, you’re not a dog because you don’t want to take on that responsibility,” Robertson added. “You don’t have to take on somebody else’s problems.”

Pat Robertson: Don’t adopt sexually abused children that could grow up ‘weird’ | The Raw Story

[youtube]HhyJpLIpRVA[/youtube]
Pat Robertson's Advice: Don't Adopt Children - YouTube

In my opinion, this man is not what he claims to be. No one following the teaching of Jesus would give this advice.

What say you?

Oh, Pat Robertson is a Christian without question... just not the shining example of a better one. :)

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
um, ok. Everyone get their tomatoes ready to pelt me, and I can't believe I am saying this but...

I don't think what Pat said here is that bad. What this woman has done is wonderful, but not everyone is capable of doing this. Not everyone has the financial or emotional resources to be a parent to three orphans. It is a major commitment that should not be entered into lightly. It is a wonderful thing to do if you are capable of doing it, but if you are not capable of doing it there is no shame in admitting it.

Ok, let me have it. I can take it. :cover:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
fantôme profane;3036202 said:
um, ok. Everyone get their tomatoes ready to pelt me, and I can't believe I am saying this but...

I don't think what Pat said here is that bad. What this woman has done is wonderful, but not everyone is capable of doing this. Not everyone has the financial or emotional resources to be a parent to three orphans. It is a major commitment that should not be entered into lightly. It is a wonderful thing to do if you are capable of doing it, but if you are not capable of doing it there is no shame in admitting it.

Oh I agree that not everyone is capable, or willing to take on a child with special needs. Or to raise a child period. However all this woman indicated was that her children were from other countries, and that was the reason men did not want to date her.
What did you think of his "United Nations" comment?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Trying to be reasonable & thoughtful, eh?
Now, jump right in.....
[youtube]QPQCH1b_LgE[/youtube]
Tomato-throwing Festival - YouTube

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

You know, I agree with you. Parenting is an extreme responsibility in the best case. The woman needs to understand that not everyone feels called (to put it in Xtian terms) to be a parent -- and not everyone feels called (or qualified) to parent special-needs children. It's especially magnified when one is becomes an "instant parent," with no prep time.

I have special-needs kids in my extended family, and I have several friends with special-needs kids. I know one family who adopted a Korean orphan, and she has been an extreme emotional handful. Not everyone's equipped to handle these children, and they don't have any business trying, just to get steady sex with the mother. Ultimately, the children are the ones most vulnerable, and most harmed.

When you marry someone, you marry all of them -- including children and baggage. To admit that you're not prepared to deal with it is responsible -- not automatically selfish. That being said, I think it's best to take plenty of time to think it over. You don't want to just jump right in there -- or dismiss out of hand what might become a very rewarding relationship.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Oh I agree that not everyone is capable, or willing to take on a child with special needs. Or to raise a child period. However all this woman indicated was that her children were from other countries, and that was the reason men did not want to date her.
What did you think of his "United Nations" comment?
I try to deal with the substance of what people say and no so much the impolitic choice of words.

Orphaned children from other countries are not "special needs" exactly, but the situation does provide a unique set of challenges (and rewards). And this is a lifelong commitment. Much more so then even marriage is. Anyone who says this should not be a factor in making this decision is being politically correct possibly to the detriment of these children.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
fantôme profane;3036230 said:
I try to deal with the substance of what people say and no so much the impolitic choice of words.

Orphaned children from other countries are not "special needs" exactly, but the situation does provide a unique set of challenges (and rewards). And this is a lifelong commitment. Much more so then even marriage is. Anyone who says this should not be a factor in making this decision is being politically correct possibly to the detriment of these children.
I cannot explain the extent of this frubalicious goodness.

waitasec

Veteran Member
"we love orphans, we love people...."
~pat robertson

yeah at a freaking distance you selfish self serving *edit*!!!

Last edited by a moderator: