• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is social Darwinism the ultimate truth?

Chisti

We see this in nature - lion killing the zebra. We see this in human societies - the strong bullying the weak.

Is this how things are? Not saying this is how things ought to be ...

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
No. Although a lot of my fellow Satanists would disagree with me. I think the philosophy of Social Darwinism is very misplaced and fails to take account of the degree to which the human intellect surpasses some of the mechanisms by which evolution works. And I think Darwin would hate the concept!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No. Although a lot of my fellow Satanists would disagree with me. I think the philosophy of Social Darwinism is very misplaced and fails to take account of the degree to which the human intellect surpasses some of the mechanisms by which evolution works. And I think Darwin would hate the concept!
:yes:
This. Frubals owed. I'm out.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
We see this in nature - lion killing the zebra. We see this in human societies - the strong bullying the weak.

Your comparison is flawed.
If you want to draw analogies from nature it would be better to compare human societies with that of a pack of wolves.
Yes, there are leaders, but the individuals depend on each other for survival through cooperation.

But even that analogy is flawed seeing as there is really no community elsewhere in the animal world that compares to the current global human society.
The complexity involved is staggering and as has been pointed out, intellect has become more of a dominant factor than brute strength.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

In all populations, including human societies, we see that the most diverse societies are the ones that are best at surviving and thriving when circumstances change... and circumstances always change.

Calling eugenics "social Darwinism" makes no sense. Darwin described natural mechanisms that happen on their own. Even if you're going to apply the idea of "survival of the fittest" to some warped notion of "fit" that you pulled out of your butt, Darwinian evolution says that survival of the fittest happens WITHOUT YOU DOING ANYTHING. If you really are right about who is and isn't fit, then you don't have to do anything at all... and if the people who you think are "unfit" continue to exist, then this is a sign that your ideas of "fitness" are wrong.

freethinker44

A society would collapse if social darwinism was left unchecked. Reciprical altruism is a better approach.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
A society would collapse if social darwinism was left unchecked. Reciprical altruism is a better approach.
Agreed.

Darwinism or to be more precise Darwin's theory is not based (as Social Darwinism seems to assume) on survival of the fittest in the basest sense, it is based on the idea that survival tends to favor those individuals which are best able to adapt to their environment and therefore pass their genes on to the next generation.
In our society we all share the benefits of the greatest intellects (some of whom would not survive on fitness alone or if their contribution to society was not recognized) and the altruism of others. Failure to understand that concept would be a great leap backwards.

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Whats Reciprical altruism ? I agree though that social Dawrinsim is faulty and has many flaws after all look at how far humans have come as a specieas.

Kerr

And sometimes the strong doesnt bully the weak. Sometimes the strong even helps the weak. So no, I dont think social darwinism is some kind of "ultimate truth". Its just a twisted idea that has no basis in reality.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Social Darwinism is a horrid oversimplification of evolutionary theory. There is no "survival of the fittest." It is more accurate to say it is the "survival of the fit enough given a particular environmental context." What constitutes a strength or weakness depends entirely on the situation; a strength in one instance is a liability in another. This is part of why messing around with genetics can be dangerous. You think you're making something "better" but there is always a tradeoff.

This is, indeed, an "ultimate truth" of sorts in that it is a natural law that humans are bound by whether they wish to be or not.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

Nope, not how you suggest it...

The "Lion killing the Zebra" is not an act of "bullying" nor any conscious intimidation, it's what animals do everyday to survive yet another day...they just do what they do.

Human beings are about the only species to hunt other animals for "sport", not survival.

Big difference there.

Now, as to why humans act the way they do in such practices...well, that's another issue :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Social Darwinism, like Darwinism, applies to populations, not individuals.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
"Social Darwinism" is a grotesque mockery of evolutionary theory that ignores most of the actual facts of evolution.

Darwin himself warned against "Social Darwinism".

The aid which we feel impelled to give to the helpless is mainly an incidental result of the instinct of sympathy, which was originally acquired as part of the social instincts, but subsequently rendered, in the manner previously indicated, more tender and more widely diffused. Nor could we check our sympathy, even at the urging of hard reason, without deterioration in the noblest part of our nature. The surgeon may harden himself whilst performing an operation, for he knows that he is acting for the good of his patient; but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with an overwhelming present evil.

We are a species that survives by being compassionate... to take that away is to remove a key facet of our humanity. IMHO anyone proposing any form of "Social Darwinism" is fundamentally, at heart, inhuman.

wa:do