• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is spirituality important?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
If you've given careful thought to terms like "religious" and "spiritual", then presumably you can tell us what you think the term "spiritual" means.

I would say in general it would apply to anyone who takes a keen interest in spiritual matters without a commitment to a specific religion. They are not as concerned with the materialistic side of life, they don't make pursuit of material goals the focus of their lives. Usually people who describe themselves as 'spiritual not religious' believe in a deity or deities or at least some kind of higher power and engage in various spiritual practices. But I have even come across atheists who describe themselves as spiritual or at least capable of having spiritual experiences.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would say in general it would apply to anyone who takes a keen interest in spiritual matters without a commitment to a specific religion. They are not as concerned with the materialistic side of life, they don't make pursuit of material goals the focus of their lives. Usually people who describe themselves as 'spiritual not religious' believe in a deity or deities or at least some kind of higher power and engage in various spiritual practices. But I have even come across atheists who describe themselves as spiritual or at least capable of having spiritual experiences.
You used the word "spiritual" in your definition of "spiritual", so I'm still not sure what you mean. You mentioned belief in a deity or a higher power... so does that mean that being "spiritual" implies being theistic (or deistic, maybe)? But you also talked about spiritual atheists, which suggests not.

What are "spiritual matters", "spiritual practices", and "spiritual experiences"?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
You used the word "spiritual" in your definition of "spiritual", so I'm still not sure what you mean. You mentioned belief in a deity or a higher power... so does that mean that being "spiritual" implies being theistic (or deistic, maybe)? But you also talked about spiritual atheists, which suggests not.

What are "spiritual matters", "spiritual practices", and "spiritual experiences"?

Spiritual matters: Concerns that go beyond day to day life in the everyday mundane world

Spiritual practices: Prayer, meditation, worship, chanting, rituals, studying sacred texts, attending spiritual gatherings, etc. Also could involve adhering to a set of ethical principles

Spiritual experiences: Pretty much ineffable. What happens when you engage in spiritual practices. If you have one you know it. ;) I know atheists report it is often just a sense of awe and wonder they feel in a beautiful natural setting

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Spiritual matters: Concerns that go beyond day to day life in the everyday mundane world
I still can't tell what this means. AFAICT, retirement planning would meet this definition. I've never heard anyone call retirement planning "spiritual".

Or are you talking more about, say, engaging in philosophy... about going beyond what we do and questioning why we do it? Is philosophy spiritual?

Spiritual practices: Prayer, meditation, worship, chanting, rituals, studying sacred texts, attending spiritual gatherings, etc. Also could involve adhering to a set of ethical principles
So... religious rituals, though not necessarily performed in the context of an organized religion?

And I can't imagine someone who doesn't adhere to some sort of ethical principles. Does this make everyone "spiritual"?

Spiritual experiences: Pretty much ineffable. What happens when you engage in spiritual practices. If you have one you know it. ;) I know atheists report it is often just a sense of awe and wonder they feel in a beautiful natural setting
So awe and wonder are necessarily spiritual?

What about man-made settings? I'll sometimes get a sense of awe and wonder from motorsports. Would you consider that spiritual?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
For those who are either willfully ignorant, or argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, here are the relevant definitions as used from Merriam-Webster:

Spirit 'n':
the force within a person that is believed to give the body life, energy, and power

Spiritual 'adj':
1. of or relating to a person's spirit
2. of or relating to religion or religious beliefs

Spirituality 'n':
1. the quality or state of being spiritual
2. the quality or state of being concerned with religion or religious matters

But, on practice, that is often rather vague.
Anything can be a religious matter.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I might interpret "spiritual, not religious" to perhaps mean having a connection with or an affinity for the divine while forgoing the dogma and doctrine of self-appointed, self serving middlemen.

What divine?
The one that the individual came to know through the dogma and doctrine of self-appointed, self serving middlemen? If so, isn't ''spiritual, but not religious'' simply a nicer way to say 'heretic'?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I still can't tell what this means. AFAICT, retirement planning would meet this definition. I've never heard anyone call retirement planning "spiritual".

No because that's dealing with things of this world.

Or are you talking more about, say, engaging in philosophy... about going beyond what we do and questioning why we do it? Is philosophy spiritual?
It can be.

So... religious rituals, though not necessarily performed in the context of an organized religion?
Not necessarily though that could also be the case. A person can take part in the rituals of an organized religion without themselves subscribing to said religion. Or they can do them on their own. Or invent their own.

And I can't imagine someone who doesn't adhere to some sort of ethical principles. Does this make everyone "spiritual"?
I'm talking about a specific form of ethics drawn from a spiritual or religious tradition.

So awe and wonder are necessarily spiritual?
I'm just passing along what I have heard atheists say.

What about man-made settings? I'll sometimes get a sense of awe and wonder from motorsports. Would you consider that spiritual?
Do you?

I get the feeling you are one of those people who likes to dismiss the idea that spirituality exists?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Strictly speaking? No.

It deals with things of this world: how you are going to behave on this world.

Oh, c'mon. You are just being obstinate. People regulate their behavior because they are concerned about the effect that will have in another life.

This "I don't like the idea of spirituality so I'll pretend it doesn't exist" gets old.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Oh, c'mon. You are just being obstinate. People regulate their behavior because they are concerned about the effect that will have in another life.

And how does this doesn't deal with things of this world?
Isn't your behaviour a thing of this world?

I guess you didn't mean what you said.

This "I don't like the idea of spirituality so I'll pretend it doesn't exist" gets old.

That's not my case.
It is more like theological noncognitivism to me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No because that's dealing with things of this world.
But retirement isn't a day-to-day thing. Not while we're saving for it, anyhow.

It can be.
What differentiates spiritual philosophy from non-spiritual philosophy?

Not necessarily though that could also be the case. A person can take part in the rituals of an organized religion without themselves subscribing to said religion. Or they can do them on their own. Or invent their own.
Okay... so would you consider "quasi-religious" to be a good descriptor for them?

I'm talking about a specific form of ethics drawn from a spiritual or religious tradition.
What's a "spiritual tradition" (as opposed to a religious tradition)?

I'm just passing along what I have heard atheists say.
Okay. So you don't personally believe that awe and wonder necessarily imply something spiritual?

I wouldn't use the term to describe it, no, but it's not so much that I've decided the term doesn't apply (as I think is apparent, I don't even have a clear idea of what it's supposed to mean); it's that I've never found myself in a circumstance where using the term would help me express myself more effectively than if I didn't use it.

I get the feeling you are one of those people who likes to dismiss the idea that spirituality exists?
I think that people often use the term to describe real things, but I also think that it adds vagueness and baggage that can get in the way of effective communication.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Importance is relevant to what you believe is important, what is important to you may not be to me, and what is important to me may not be to you.

Thana

Lady
what are the good and bad sides of being spiritual?

A bit vague, But I'll give it a go.

I suppose being spirtual gives one a purpose in life, Or a greater purpose. It fills one with contentment and a firm understanding of why and who and how.

A bad side of being spirtual... Um.. Depends if you have fanatic/extremist tendencies. Then it would probably be a bad thing. Otherwise, I don't see many cons at all with being spiritual.