• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is spirituality important?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
But retirement isn't a day-to-day thing. Not while we're saving for it, anyhow.

Either you are not understanding me or you are being purposely obtuse. Physical survival/well being is a concern having to do with this world. Whether now or later in life.

What differentiates spiritual philosophy from non-spiritual philosophy?
There is such a thing as secular philosophy. Or philosophy dealing with subjects like epistemology or ontology need not be spiritually oriented.

Okay... so would you consider "quasi-religious" to be a good descriptor for them?
No.

What's a "spiritual tradition" (as opposed to a religious tradition)?
An example of the former would be a mystical system of thought that transcends a specific religion.

Okay. So you don't personally believe that awe and wonder necessarily imply something spiritual?
They could but not necessarily.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
what are the good and bad sides of being spiritual?

Not to be especially querulous. but what, exactly do you mean to imply by defining someone as spiritual?

That seems to be an especially broad classification in a world of people seeking to define their faith-based beliefs most specifically.

As example, I deem myself an often ill-defined atheist/skeptic, yet I would allow any human consciousness as unique in a generalized view as possessing a unique "soul" (as I see most sentient species evincing on their own part).

Considering that there are likely 100 billion stars in just our own galaxy, with billions of earth-like planets within, and perhaps 100 billion galaxies yet within the observable or measurable cosmos, I'm no so self-interested to believe that we as humans are the special focus of some singular deity

But, you were saying...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Either you are not understanding me or you are being purposely obtuse. Physical survival/well being is a concern having to do with this world. Whether now or later in life.
I wasn't trying to argue that retirement planning is spiritual; I was pointing out what seems to be a problem with your definition.

I'm a bit confused about what you say now about how spirituality isn't about "this world". Earlier, you talked about awe and wonder of the natural world as an example of spirituality; AFAICT, that's all about "this world".

There is such a thing as secular philosophy. Or philosophy dealing with subjects like epistemology or ontology need not be spiritually oriented.
"Secular" as in "non-religious"? I thought you were arguing that spirituality is something distinct from religion.

Okay. I'll have to think a bit more about that one.

An example of the former would be a mystical system of thought that transcends a specific religion.
IOW, something religious, but not exclusive to a single religion?

Do you think that spirituality depends on mysticism?

They could but not necessarily.
Okay. When would they and when wouldn't they?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I'm sorry Penguin but I am going to cut this off here. I really don't enjoy this kind of semantic dissection. Perhaps someone else will pick up where I left off.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I'm sorry Penguin but I am going to cut this off here. I really don't enjoy this kind of semantic dissection. Perhaps someone else will pick up where I left off.

You are wrong... a good point upon which to retreat. :)

PS. It's not your "semantics" upon which to assign primary blame of more pointed failure to elucidate...

Sometimes, being wrong is "ok" :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
what are the good and bad sides of being spiritual?

I cant think of a bad thing about being spiritual.

“spirituality” as used in the Bible refers to an attitude or an approach to life which affects how a person lives their life and how they treat others. A spiritual person puts the interests of others ahead of his own interests whereas a fleshly person will selfishly please himself without concern for how it might affect others.