• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Israel-Hamas war the war of Gog and Magog?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm particularly interested in observant Jews and Christian's view especially @RabbiO if he cares to comment.

The prophecy of Gog and Magog is found in the Book of Ezekiel (chapters 38-39), describing a future battle where a coalition of nations, led by Gog from the land of Magog, will rise against Israel.

Amid the escalating Israel-Hamas conflict, many Religious leaders have been asking: Are we witnessing the biblical prophecy of the war of Gog and Magog? This ancient prediction from the Book of Ezekiel has captivated religious scholars and believers for centuries, forecasting a cataclysmic battle preceding the Messianic era. As the conflict in Israel intensifies, this question gains urgency and relevance.
Many Jewish rabbis have been discussing this issue since October 7. Rabbi Yosef Tzvi Rimon, an influential Jewish educator, and scholar known for his profound insights into Jewish law and eschatology, has provided a detailed interpretation of the recent conflict through the lens of the Gog and Magog prophecy. Rimon noted that the recent escalation coinciding with the Jewish holidays, particularly Sukkot, is significant.
Rabbi Pinchas Winston, a prolific writer and speaker on Jewish end-time prophecies and the coming of the Messiah, highlighted the unprecedented nature of the recent Hamas attack, suggesting it could be a sign of the Gog and Magog prophecy. He remarked, “The world is polarized like never before on every issue, divided essentially between the forces of good and the forces of evil. That is what the War of Gog and Magog is supposed to do; have people self-identify whether they are for God or against God."

Christian evangelical views

John Hagee, a leading Christian Zionist pastor and founder of Christians United for Israel, known for his strong support of Israel, has often linked Middle Eastern conflicts to the prophecy of Gog and Magog. He recently suggested that the current conflict might be part of God's plan as described in the Bible. Hagee stated, “For many ‘Christian Zionists,’ their support for Israel is rooted in its role in the supposed end times: Jesus’ return to Earth, a bloody final battle at Armageddon, and Jesus ruling the world from the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.”

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Personally some have forgotten WWII which was a war everywhere. Yes, today we see growing divisions world-wide but not on the WII scale at least so far. And people have forgotten how close we came to a final, nuclear war during the Cuban Missile Crisis where the action of one person prevented utter destruction.

So to me the horror of the Middle East, Russia's war against Ukraine and China's aggressive posturing does not rise to that level.

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm particularly interested in observant Jews and Christian's view especially @RabbiO if he cares to comment.

The prophecy of Gog and Magog is found in the Book of Ezekiel (chapters 38-39), describing a future battle where a coalition of nations, led by Gog from the land of Magog, will rise against Israel.

Amid the escalating Israel-Hamas conflict, many Religious leaders have been asking: Are we witnessing the biblical prophecy of the war of Gog and Magog? This ancient prediction from the Book of Ezekiel has captivated religious scholars and believers for centuries, forecasting a cataclysmic battle preceding the Messianic era. As the conflict in Israel intensifies, this question gains urgency and relevance.
Many Jewish rabbis have been discussing this issue since October 7. Rabbi Yosef Tzvi Rimon, an influential Jewish educator, and scholar known for his profound insights into Jewish law and eschatology, has provided a detailed interpretation of the recent conflict through the lens of the Gog and Magog prophecy. Rimon noted that the recent escalation coinciding with the Jewish holidays, particularly Sukkot, is significant.
Rabbi Pinchas Winston, a prolific writer and speaker on Jewish end-time prophecies and the coming of the Messiah, highlighted the unprecedented nature of the recent Hamas attack, suggesting it could be a sign of the Gog and Magog prophecy. He remarked, “The world is polarized like never before on every issue, divided essentially between the forces of good and the forces of evil. That is what the War of Gog and Magog is supposed to do; have people self-identify whether they are for God or against God."

Christian evangelical views

John Hagee, a leading Christian Zionist pastor and founder of Christians United for Israel, known for his strong support of Israel, has often linked Middle Eastern conflicts to the prophecy of Gog and Magog. He recently suggested that the current conflict might be part of God's plan as described in the Bible. Hagee stated, “For many ‘Christian Zionists,’ their support for Israel is rooted in its role in the supposed end times: Jesus’ return to Earth, a bloody final battle at Armageddon, and Jesus ruling the world from the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.”
I don’t think the present situation with Israel and Hamas is the Gog and Magog war.

I think the Gog and Magog battle is a different battle than Armageddon. I lean toward the idea that the battle of Armageddon coincides with the return of Christ after the Tribulation Period. Then the Battle of Gog and Magog occurs after the 1,000 Reign of Jesus Christ in Jerusalem.

If you’re interested…

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
While there have always been Jews, including rabbis, who have attempted to identify certain events with various prophecies, there is another branch of thought which identifies "sparks" (or other terms) of certain prophecied figures and/or events within contemporaneous figures and/or events. So, for example, when Rabbi A. I. Kook gave a eulogy after the death of Herzl, he identified within him sparks of Mashiach ben Yosef. In other words, while it is arguably nigh impossible to know whether this war is Gog and Magog, it doesn't rule out the possibility that there are some sparks or strands of Gog and Magog in this war. That would mean, as Rabbi Rimon pointed out, that there are certain similar aspects between the two wars, and noticing these can help us understand the ideological and theological nature of the current war.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
While there have always been Jews, including rabbis, who have attempted to identify certain events with various prophecies, there is another branch of thought which identifies "sparks" (or other terms) of certain prophecied figures and/or events within contemporaneous figures and/or events. So, for example, when Rabbi A. I. Kook gave a eulogy after the death of Herzl, he identified within him sparks of Mashiach ben Yosef. In other words, while it is arguably nigh impossible to know whether this war is Gog and Magog, it doesn't rule out the possibility that there are some sparks or strands of Gog and Magog in this war. That would mean, as Rabbi Rimon pointed out, that there are certain similar aspects between the two wars, and noticing these can help us understand the ideological and theological nature of the current war.
That seems very reasonable to me.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Here's a question for ya? Does it matter if we're ever able to identify that specific? And here's another one: How many more conflicts will transpire before the final end all of all war war? Is that one the armageddon one, and if so, how might life be after the fact? It's limiting enough as is and I can't hardly imagine anything aside from controlled populations being able to prevent conflicts of this type. Who in their right mind would ever be ok with that type of control? Honestly, I don't care how it's viewed whether the war of Gog and Magog or not. It is a war. There will likely be more, and the power plays seem unending. I like life well enough and there isn't a single species who isn't required to struggle for survival. My guess is it might be best to make peace with it, as difficult as doing so is. I'm uncertain if I'll ever reach that state of indifference.

But, to answer your question directly.

No

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The last thing we need to be doing is encouraging the view that this is a religious war or fulfilling some prophecy. We're already on dangerous grounds there with the situation in Israel.
I agree. I was surprised at the apocalyptic view of some religious figures. October 7 and the situation in Gaza will seem like a Sunday walk in the park compared to what will happen if Iran & its Hezbollah client get into an all out war with Israel. The whole region is so close to the edge that anything could be a final trigger.