• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Notion of an "End Times" Dangerous?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is the notion that we are living through an "End Times" dangerous? If so, why? If not, why not?

Is the notion of an "End Times" just another myth, or are there substantial reasons to believe that it is happening?

FatMan

The notion of an End Times isn't dangerous, but it is certainly something that will happen. Most likely when the Sun burns out, but it will happen.

Nanda

Polyanna
Speaking of comic books, I remember while reading Craig Thompson's autobiographical graphic novel, "Blankets," he shows a conversation he had with his father about the end times. They were incinerating garbage in a barrel behind their house, and Craig wondered if it wouldn't be better to recycle, rather than put more toxins into the atmosphere. His father waved off Craig's concern, stating that Jesus would return before global warming became too big a problem, so why bother?

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
I think it could be dangerous to the wrong people, it could induce panic and looting. Thats why i figure if the world really was going to end via asteroid etc the powers that be wouldn't let us know about it as it would be far to dangerous.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think when people decide to hurry up the "end times" it is dangerous.
My religion doesn't have an "end times" concept.
With everyone waiting for impending paradise on Earth, many people don't worry about Right Now, and the future for thier grandchildren, and thier grandchildrens, grandchildren.

wa:do

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
I think when people decide to hurry up the "end times" it is dangerous.
My religion doesn't have an "end times" concept.
With everyone waiting for impending paradise on Earth, many people don't worry about Right Now, and the future for thier grandchildren, and thier grandchildrens, grandchildren.

wa:do

I get where you're coming from, it worries me that there are so many people trying to hurry up the end, why they can't just sit back and actually enjoy this beautifull planet is beyond me. Whats even scarier is the fact the some of the presidents closest advisors are these same people who seem to be on a mission to rush the world into oblivion... Scary stuff.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Depending on one's religious version (and there are some that are quite spectacular) it inevitably displays a sense of surrender. An unreliable concept in favor of grapsing and shaping the future by our own hands. It is the rejection of our own power and will as humans and the complete submission to the unknown.

Nanda writes: Speaking of comic books, I remember while reading Craig Thompson's autobiographical graphic novel, "Blankets," he shows a conversation he had with his father about the end times. They were incinerating garbage in a barrel behind their house, and Craig wondered if it wouldn't be better to recycle, rather than put more toxins into the atmosphere. His father waved off Craig's concern, stating that Jesus would return before global warming became too big a problem, so why bother?
I highly recommend the CD (sold separately) that complments this book. Lent my copy out, never got it back.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think when people keep predicting the end times over and over again even though it apparently never happens is dangerous. It's the "crying wolf" analogy. Do it so much, when it really comes, no one will believe you.

That said, how can anyone know?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
It is my favourite prophecy - the only field of human speculation with thousands of years of perfect failure. It is the one prediction with a perfect 100% failure rate. You can all but guarantee you are wrong.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It seems that so many want an end time to arise, of course there will be an end time for our planet, but why wast your life wanting it or worrying about it. In fact, its the end time for someone every day and night, when we die, that's it, the end time. No, enjoy your life and stop worrying about stupid things like the end times, this is my own thoughts. I have to say that so I don't get in trouble for preaching lol..

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is the notion that we are living through an "End Times" dangerous?

Why, most certainly. It has time and again encouraged reckless, irresponsible and even all-out destructive behavior, from parents that neglect their children's basic education all the way up to collective, destructive hysteria.

If so, why? If not, why not?

Is the notion of an "End Times" just another myth, or are there substantial reasons to believe that it is happening?

Actually both. It is only logical to accept that our survival is limited with respect to time (both collectively and individually) and that we ought to plan in accord to our most accurate perception of how it is likely to happen exactly. But that is rarely done. Most End Times beliefs are simple mixes of neglect and panic, apparently motivated by the release present in Not Feeling Responsible Anymore.

Plato

In my opinion it's very dangerous for 2 reasons.....
1.) People not sophisticated about religion may and do become obsessed with this wrong notion and act out on it in crazy destructive ways (dropping out of society, giving up, becoming gun nuts/ survivalists, forming cults, and giving in to their most bad and violent tendencies).
2.) The whole end times nonsense (in my opinion) has proved to be especially in the US for 150 years fertile ground for con men, carnival barkers, fraudulent and or crazy pastors, a big money making enterprise conning the foolish by TV evangelists, false book writers, cult leaders. Every time the economy gets bad or society changes they pull out this 'con' the end of the world is here (lol).
The end times nonsense all comes from the least book in the Bible (Revelations). In my religion while not exactly 'myth' it sometimes is and is allegorical and metaphor writing never to be taken literally and of about zero importance to anyone since the fall of ancient Rome. We believe the few factual things it does predict already happened in the ancient world before it was written and with the fall of Rome, that it is not about the future, or our future and that there are no 'end times'.

NulliuSINverba

Is the notion that we are living through an "End Times" dangerous? If so, why? If not, why not?

I'm tempted to say that the notion is dangerous. But how can we be living through the End Times when (according to the scripture cited below) the End Times have already passed?

Jesus said:
“Immediately after the distress of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken. Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other. Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened." ~ Matthew 24:29-35

This prophecy was allegedly uttered over 2,000 years ago, right?

If the prophecy was accurate, then "all of these things" necessarily must have happened before "this generation" passed away, correct? Is there anyone in their right mind willing to argue that the "this generation" that Jesus was referring to didn't pass away a very, very long time ago?

I suppose that we might also be obliged to (grudgingly) concede that we cannot rule out the possibility that the whole thing was a false prophecy.