• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the social security crisis real?

Is the social security crisis real?

• Yes, the sucker is real!

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Nope, it's a fabrication.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Don't know jack about it.

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

No*s

Captain Obvious
I believe in it, and I don't like the idea of having one person pay for five people when I'm retirement age...but I also don't think Bush's idea will work :(.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I know absolutely jack squat about the subject. Could someone explain or link to sites that would explain what the crisis (or psuedo-crisis, as it may be) is?

No*s

Captain Obvious
Jensa said:
I know absolutely jack squat about the subject. Could someone explain or link to sites that would explain what the crisis (or psuedo-crisis, as it may be) is?

I don't know if you'll find it. Most of my opinion is formed from various news reports and the rhetoric of the politicians. Frankly, that's unreliable, but it's all I have to go on to say "yes" or "no." There are some rather lengthy economic treatises on this subject, but I haven't read them...and I frankly don't have the economic background to say one way or another.

I said "yes," mainly because it's been assumed in most conversations up until recently, and I remember Clinton put funds in to bail it out.

robtex

Veteran Member
What makes a lot of the media attention is when politicans and the war monger (aka bush) dip into it for other purposes. Bush has used some it for quick cash to buy things to kill people with overseas and it has been dipped into for other purposes too.

1) unless we cease to be a republic and lean towards a dictatorship I am confident they will put the money back before paying off dept from money borrowed from others.

2) the system is self-funding in operation so default from non-payment isn't reasonable.

3) the bigger issue is really that many people who are in their 20-40's have no idea that social security it not enough coverage for their retirement and make no effort to suppliment it in any way.

huajiro

Stop and think about it....do you think the politicians in this country are capable of spending money that we have set aside for ourselves in the future?

Do you think people in this country are capable of spending money we don't have?

One thing I think that people need to seriously think about in the United States of America is how they look at foreigners. In a few years foreigners will be paying our social security.....I think a little appreciation is in order.

fromthe heart

Sunstone said:
Is the social security crisis real, or is it just hype? What do you think?
I fully believe that the social security crisis is becoming just that. We have the Baby-boomer generation now becoming elligible. The baby boom made history when it happened and now it's making history through social security. As each become eligible it will tax the fund very hard. This causes the fund to be nearly depleated for the next set that follows. If something isn't done now and done right there will be NO social security. I don't have all the numbers, I've just been listening for many years about this as it has been taking place. It's not hype and hopefully the right choices to save it will take place for the future generations.:)

t3gah

I think they'll just keep borrowing money to refill that social security they appropriated for the stealth bomber program from the banks and they'll let the deficit climb and climb and climb.

Afterall, it's not like the deficit is really hurting the governments functionality.

The government will also never let Social Security to flounder because old people and human race go hand in hand. And old people vote too. Old people can get someone out of office. Old people can cause a stir in the media and cause public opinion to crumble.