• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there an afterlife? / The ultimate goal for man

Flat Earth Kyle

I personally believe there is and that this life has a point and isn't just about growing and growing and growing only one day to be toppled into non existence.

In my studies I have learned that Hindus believe that the ultimate goal for man to achieve is to break the cycle of reincarnation and cease to exist, while for a great many others it is the ultimate goal to live forever. What do you think the ultimate goal is for man?

Tristesse

There probably isn't an afterlife. So, I better treat people right the first time, no second chances.

Flat Earth Kyle

There probably isn't an afterlife. So, I better treat people right the first time, no second chances.

so if there is no afterlife? what is the point of this life? If there is no point, everyone should just go commit suicide because we are all doomed to a state of non existence anyway and it will make no difference. However, if we suddenly do that and afterwords find out that there was a big point to life that we just missed, I suppose it would be a really big oops moment wouldn't it.

Tristesse

so if there is no afterlife? what is the point of this life? If there is no point, everyone should just go commit suicide because we are all doomed to a state of non existence anyway and it will make no difference. However, if we suddenly do that and afterwords find out that there was a big point to life that we just missed, I suppose it would be a really big oops moment wouldn't it.

The point of this life is what you make it. What could possibly have a greater meaning than that? Do you honestly live everyday because you think you're going on to some afterlife? If so, thats kind of sad. I enjoy life because of my friends, family and the great times I have. Why does there have to be an afterlife for you to enjoy this one? Honestly, living for eternity would suck. Not saying that I wouldn't want to live for a long time, but eternity seems so tedious.

Flat Earth Kyle

The point of this life is what you make it. What could possibly have a greater meaning than that? Do you honestly live everyday because you think you're going on to some afterlife? If so, thats kind of sad. I enjoy life because of my friends, family and the great times I have. Why does there have to be an afterlife for you to enjoy this one? Honestly, living for eternity would suck. Not saying that I wouldn't want to live for a long time, but eternity seems so tedious.

I'm just stating that going throughout life, building a family, and building great relationships with a spouse and friends just to suddenly lose it forever sounds horrible. For me it would be better to never even start. Why torture your self? I take a lot of comfort knowing that it will not all amount to nothing in the end, but that my actions in this life actually mean something and will not amount to naught in the end.

Flat Earth Kyle

I was studying the Egyptian Book of the Dead the other day and found it interesting how they believed when a man died the God Anubis would weigh their heart and judge them, if they lived a good life they would be taken to the God Osiris and granted eternal life, while if they didn't live a good life, their souls would be eaten by the great destroyer Anak (the monster who was part lion, hippo, and crocodile) and they would cease to exist.

I think there are many similarities between the Egyptian religion and that of Christianity.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't see how not being infinite makes something useless.

If a flower only lasts a short time, it doesn't make it useless. It can be experienced while it lasts. If a meal is eaten and finished, it doesn't mean it wasn't worth eating.

Flat Earth Kyle

I don't see how not being infinite makes something useless.

If a flower only lasts a short time, it doesn't make it useless. It can be experienced while it lasts. If a meal is eaten and finished, it doesn't mean it wasn't worth eating.

an interesting thing is I believe that flowers will be resurrected and that they will continue to grow in the after life.

St Giordano Bruno

I define an afterlife as just that and ongoing existence that is not life as we know it. It is not life it is "after"life; something outside the temporal bounds of this life on earth. It is not biological in a DNA sense but some ethereal spirit being such as an angel or a demon which is believed by many to many people's ultimate goal for the true destination or our existence as we depart from our temporal life on this earth such as many Christians have been indoctrinated to believe in at a very young age. I have no reason to believe in such an afterlife.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
In my studies I have learned that Hindus believe that the ultimate goal for man to achieve is to break the cycle of reincarnation and cease to exist,

I would suggest you continue studying. This is a very narrow interpretation of what mokṣa actually is, and it is definitely not the way I understand it to be.

What do you think the ultimate goal is for man?
Being with God.

Erebus

I believe in an afterlife of sorts but don't actually spend much time dwelling on it. My view is this: Afterlife or not, we only have this life once so make the most of it.

Tristesse

I'm just stating that going throughout life, building a family, and building great relationships with a spouse and friends just to suddenly lose it forever sounds horrible. For me it would be better to never even start. Why torture your self? I take a lot of comfort knowing that it will not all amount to nothing in the end, but that my actions in this life actually mean something and will not amount to naught in the end.

I'm sorry that sounds horrible to you, but the truth has no considerations for what you might be comfortable with. Just because you're going to eventually die, doesn't mean that your actions don't mean something in life, they mean a great deal to the people you interact with. This life is much more valuble if it's the only one you have, so you better treat your life right the first time, you probably won't get another one. However, if there is an eternal afterlife, how meaningless would this life be? I mean 80-100 years is nothing compaired to an eternity, it's almost like this life is just a place to wipe your feet before you go on to the next, sounds like a cosmic joke to me.

But when we talk about continuing to live after your dead, you have to ask the question, what is there of me that could possibly live on? We know the brain stops functioning when you're dead. And the brain is what creats your sense of personhood, or conciousness, and if thats dead, than what of me continues on?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I don't know if there's an afterlife.

But I do think there is purpose in life. I think we're here to make the better than it was when we started out.

BruceDLimber

Baha'is say there is MOST DEFINITELY a Next Life and that EVERYONE goes on to it! (There's no such thing as reincarnation, though.)

Also that the Next Life is far more wonderful than we can imagine now!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Straw Dog

I was studying the Egyptian Book of the Dead the other day and found it interesting how they believed when a man died the God Anubis would weigh their heart and judge them, if they lived a good life they would be taken to the God Osiris and granted eternal life, while if they didn't live a good life, their souls would be eaten by the great destroyer Anak (the monster who was part lion, hippo, and crocodile) and they would cease to exist.

I think there are many similarities between the Egyptian religion and that of Christianity.

I would prefer to have my soul eaten by a crazy awesome monster and then cease to exist for being a bad person rather than to spend eternity burning and gnashing my teeth (had braces in my youth for crying out loud, dental work is expensive)... or, in your case, a 1,000 year spiritual prison sentence. I have boyish good looks. I wouldn't last a day in prison, much less spiritual prison! :eek:

Last edited: