• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your body an object?

Is your body an object?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I am my body

• No, my body is part of me

• No, but it belongs to me

• No, I am part of my body and I am a person.

• I dont know. Maybe

• Total voters

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Am I my body?

I know what you're doing, dude. I understand that you're trying to get where we're coming from when we say "objectification is bad".

It's bad because it reduces a person to nothing more than their body, and implies that they have absolutely no worth as a person.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I want an option for "yes, and it doesn't belong to me" (except as granted by human social constructs; ultimately nothing "belongs" or is owned by anything in this universe).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where's the option to express my dismay at how my object has decayed so much over the last half century?
I used to have the body of a Greek god! Now I've got the body of a god darned Greek!

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Am I my body?

I know what you're doing, dude. I understand that you're trying to get where we're coming from when we say "objectification is bad".

It's bad because it reduces a person to nothing more than their body, and implies that they have absolutely no worth as a person.

What does it mean to have worth as a person?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
What does it mean to have worth as a person?

I mean it in the Kantian sense: humans have worth simply by virtue of being human.

What it means from a practical standpoint is that all humans are, by default, deserving of certain respectful courtesies, one of which is not treating an individual as nothing more than a toy, to be used and discarded.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I mean it in the Kantian sense: humans have worth simply by virtue of being human.

What it means from a practical standpoint is that all humans are, by default, deserving of certain respectful courtesies, one of which is not treating an individual as nothing more than a toy, to be used and discarded.

Could a human be objetified and at the same time be treated respectfully?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Could a human be objetified and at the same time be treated respectfully?

By default, no, since objectification reduces a person to their bodies, leaving nothing else, basically leaving the objectified person in a state as having the same worth as a love-doll.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Either way, is it necessary to respect someone to treat her/him respectfully?

Ideally, yes, but obviously sometimes we end up in situations where we have no choice but to extend courtesies to people we don't respect at all.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
By default, no, since objectification reduces a person to their bodies, leaving nothing else, basically leaving the objectified person in a state as having the same worth as a love-doll.

Interesting.
Would it be accurate to say that objectification of service providers is particularly common and widespread on western societies?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So it is not as simple as that....
Well, it is. If you're respecting the person, you're not objectifying him/her. If you're respecting their actions, deeds, thoughts, words, or any property about them, you're not respecting them.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Well, it is. If you're respecting the person, you're not objectifying him/her. If you're respecting their actions, deeds, thoughts, words, or any property about them, you're not respecting them.

What does it mean to respect a person?