• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel-Gaza : and, by the way, no famine, but ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Really? Frankly I'm less that sure, but according to today's Times of Israel ...

The core of the story is ...

In particular, the study found no evidence that deaths from starvation reached famine levels, but did not provide any data about how many such deaths there may have been.​
The report also dramatically reduced the percentage of the population it had previously said was in Level 5 (Catastrophe) and Level 4 (Emergency) status for food insecurity.​
It cut those assessed at the catastrophe level by half, from 30% to 15%, and reduced by a quarter the population percentage estimated to be at the emergency level, from 39% to 29%.​
This, nevertheless, still amounts to some 343,000 Gazans at the catastrophe level, and the IPC reported that “a high and sustained risk of Famine across the whole Gaza Strip” remained and that “extreme human suffering is without a doubt currently ongoing in the Gaza Strip.” [emphasis added - JS]​
The report is highly significant as accusations of famine in Gaza have formed an integral part of the allegations against Israel of genocide in the International Court of Justice, and of crimes against humanity and war crimes in the International Criminal Court.​

To put "... some 343,000" in perspective, it's a bit like seeing the entire city of Cincinnati suffering from starvation.

Last edited:

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Really? Frankly I'm less that sure, but according to today's Times of Israel ...

The coreof the story is ...

In particular, the study found no evidence that deaths from starvation reached famine levels, but did not provide any data about how many such deaths there may have been.​
The report also dramatically reduced the percentage of the population it had previously said was in Level 5 (Catastrophe) and Level 4 (Emergency) status for food insecurity.​
It cut those assessed at the catastrophe level by half, from 30% to 15%, and reduced by a quarter the population percentage estimated to be at the emergency level, from 39% to 29%.​
This, nevertheless, still amounts to some 343,000 Gazans at the catastrophe level, and the IPC reported that “a high and sustained risk of Famine across the whole Gaza Strip” remained and that “extreme human suffering is without a doubt currently ongoing in the Gaza Strip.” [emphasis added - JS]​
The report is highly significant as accusations of famine in Gaza have formed an integral part of the allegations against Israel of genocide in the International Court of Justice, and of crimes against humanity and war crimes in the International Criminal Court.​

To put "... some 343,000" in perspective, it's a bit like seeing the entire city of Cincinnati suffering from starvation.

Terrible. How trustworthy is the Times of Israel? Are they a mouthpiece for the IDF? I honestly don't know who to believe anymore, but if the numbers are 'only' that, we are still seeing the result of war crimes.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
It's difficult.

By the way, can you show me where you've shown the same concern, contempt, and disgust towards information sourced by the Hamas-backed Gaza Ministry of Health?

No, because, as I said, I do not have any reliable way to judge the veracity of the sources. I certainly do not assume the numbers from the Palestinian Ministry of Health are the final word. But all sources paint a pretty grim picture of what is happening in Gaza.

I do not know the media landscape in Israel, so was wondering if the newspaper you cited is more of a Washington Post or Washington Times.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The core of the story is ...

These claims from AIPAC are false. Gazans are starving on a massive, unprecedented scale. According to the United Nations, 2.2 million Palestinians in Gaza — almost the entire population of the region — are facing “crisis or worse levels of food insecurity.” Half a million of those included in that figure face “catastrophic” levels of food insecurity.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/israel-aipac-lie-starving-gaza-1234987885/

Not saying one ought to trust RS, but you know...

For every report that benefits one side one can usually some news outlet making a counter report.
The only good report would be one in which the war ends, imo.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It's difficult.

By the way, can you show me where you've shown the same concern, contempt, and disgust towards information sourced by the Hamas-backed Gaza Ministry of Health?

No, because, as I said, I do not have any reliable way to judge the veracity of the sources.

I'm honestly not sure whether (a) you're not clear what you said, or (b) you're being honest about who and/or what you are. You might wish to reread and reconsider the exchange.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm honestly not sure what you are babbling about.

I'm sorry if I was unclear. Let me try again.

Here are the salient excerpts from the dialogue in question:

Terrible. How trustworthy is the Times of Israel? Are they a mouthpiece for the IDF? I honestly don't know who to believe anymore, but if the numbers are 'only' that, we are still seeing the result of war crimes.

No, because, as I said, I do not have any reliable way to judge the veracity of the sources. I certainly do not assume the numbers from the Palestinian Ministry of Health are the final word.

So:
  1. You question the integrity of The Times of Israel?
  2. I asked if you can show where you've demonstrated the same concern regarding the Hamas-backed Gaza Ministry of Health.
  3. You answered no while offering that you "certainly do not assume the numbers from the Palestinian Ministry of Health are the final word."
You admit to a double standard and the (inadvertently) emphasize it by
  • substituting "Hamas-backed Gaza Ministry of Health" with the sanitized "Palestinian Ministry of Health,"
  • while shifting the topic from whether a reporting source is trustworthy to whether a given report represents "the final word."

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I'm sorry if I was unclear. Let me try again.

Here are the salient excerpts from the dialogue in question:

So:
  1. You question the integrity of The Times of Israel?
  2. I asked if you can show where you've demonstrated the same concern regarding the Hamas-backed Gaza Ministry of Health.
  3. You answered no while offering that you "certainly do not assume the numbers from the Palestinian Ministry of Health are the final word."
You admit to a double standard and the (inadvertently) emphasize it by
  • substituting "Hamas-backed Gaza Ministry of Health" with the sanitized "Palestinian Ministry of Health,"
  • while shifting the topic from whether a reporting source is trustworthy to whether a given report represents "the final word."

Brother, you must be the life of a party.

As I said, I do not know the media landscape in Israel. Instead of offering any helpful guidance, you blather on.

I will say it again: I do not know which source to trust. Either way, the war crimes against the Palestinians needs to stop. Have a nice day.